Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: MOD - Chanito's Windshield
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:54 pm 
Chanito's Custom Windshield

This is a great mod! It's relatively cheap, it looks great, it's fully functional and really easy to install. You can pick up a kit from Chanito over on Ruckus Central. You can email himfor details on how to pick one up by sending him a little email at: chanito27 @ bellsouth.net ....(remove the spaces when emailing, this is to prevent the account from getting spammed by auto spammers)

Tools you'll need:

Here's the quick install, just replace all of the previously listed tools with some 100MPH tape.

Here is box the windshield came in. Make sure you inspect the content and familiarize yourself with the instructions. The Lexan is shipped with a blue protective coating, go ahead and remove the coating from around the holes in the Lexan. Keep the rest of the coating on the Lexan, this will protect it from mishaps has you adjust it later on.

Here are the brackets and associated bolts. I added the neoprene washers, so they may not be included in your kit. They are about .25 at your local hardware store.

Clip the Brake Line Clips onto the frame of the headlights with the flat side facing forward and the holes up.

Loosely install the 8mm bolts in the windshield.
[BOLT][Metal Washer][Neoprene Washer][Lexan][Foam][Bracket][Nut]

Loosen the turn signals with the 14mm open ended wrench. Do not take them out, you just need enough space to slide the bracket in there.

Loosely attach the windshield to the brackets with the 12mm ratchet/socket and 12mm wrench.
Screw the machine screw to the bottom of the windshield, with the washer on the outside.
The windshield should be parallel to the battery cover, once you are satisfied with the position of the windshield begin gently tightening everything. Be carefull not to over tighten, you don't want to end up with a broken windshield this late in the game!

Remove the protective film and clean the Lexan with mild soap. That's it, very simple and easy installation!

The next step will be to add a tint!
* UPDATE - Tint will not work on Lexan!

Last edited by SpoonKiller on Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 12:03 pm 
How much does he charge for this windshield?

I'm thinking about making one myself, but want to know if it's worth it before wasting the cash!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:27 pm 
$75 plus shipping... email him, or check out www.chanitomotor.com

bought one... slightly darker than previous ones... cool. LOVE IT!

...even helps deflect the dragon flies (ouch!)

http://canuckusruckus91mpg.blogspot.com/

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:27 pm 
I know it really helps if you duck behind it, but how much does it help if you don't duck behind it?

What kind of MPH gains have you guys seen and what are your setups?

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Shop mechanic
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:12 pm 
Went from stock 41mph on the speedo to 43, still stock otherwise, both on flat ground. It really makes a difference. If I tuck and am doing 43, I can sit back upright all the way back on the seat and my speed will drop to 41 again. You don't need to crouch all the way behind it (actually doing that will give you tons of turbulence over your helmet and be noisy) but just a little behind the bars.

I'd add to that install- the little brake line clamps- put them round a screwdriver shaft, install the bolts, and then give it a slight twist. Do each one the opposite direction- This will help with install, since the windshield is curved it is angled right where it passes through these clamps. You'll see what I mean if you get one.
gomi_