Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Motorcycle license for your Ruckus in your State??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:50 pm 
My Friend and I both bought Ruckus in MN from different places. He got and moped license plate from his dealer. I got a MC motorcycle license plate for mine. I called the DOT because I currenty dont have my motorcycle license yet and they told that he must have been sent the wrong plate and the ruckus is classed by them as a motorcycle and to qualify for a moped is has to match ALL of the following 3 things:

A moped is a vehicle that is propelled by a motor of a capacity of 50cc or less.
A maximum of two brake horse power.
A maximum speed of not more than 30 mph on a flat surface.

I go about 35 40 on average while riding mine so #3 screwed me and I don't know what the brake horse power is on the stock ruckus?????

Anyways just wondering if you guys in other states also need your motorcycle license to drive yours legally.

Oh and I have been pulled over twice on mine last summer with no helmet/no MC license/and night riding but the cops didn't say shit about that stuff and let me go.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

Post subject: Re: Motorcycle license for your Ruckus in your State??
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:53 pm 
Get a helmet.

Legally, the Ruckus is a motorcycle in Minnesota.

Bad news: you need to get your license before you can ride at night.
Good news: you can take the test on the Ruckus, so it's easy as hell. 8)

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:57 pm 
Yeah I know I got a helmet but just didnt have it at the time. I know with the motorcylce permit I can ride with helmet....not at night....not with a passanger but that ones no problem and once I get the license I can do whatever.

Spring is coming so I figured I might as well get it since I can test on my Ruckus. I was just hoping I didnt have to bother with getting it.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:20 pm 
I think the ruck makes like 4 hp..

in my province you need a Motorcycle license with an L condition and you can't go over 70 km's and ride on hwys over 80 km's..other than that it's pretty much the same..i'll have to redo my license when I get a bigger bike..

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:32 pm 
In CA it might as well be a motorcycle...but it's called a motor driven cycle, and it can't go on the freeway.,

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:01 pm 
Pretty much the same here.

In Illinois, it's a Motor-Driven Cycle and you need a class "L" license, which is for any cycle from 1-149cc.

In order for it to be considered a "Moped" and have no special license needed, it has to meet the following requirements-
Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual wrote:

-A motorized pedacycle is a motor-driven cycle with speed attainable in one mile of 30 m.p.h. or less.

-Equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horsepower or less.

-If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed 50cc.

-Power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

All four criteria must be met, otherwise it is a Motor-Driven Cycle and a Class L is required.

Though many Illinoisans will argue that this is not the case 'cause their dealer told them so, that's what the State says.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:15 pm 
raptor9458 wrote:
Pretty much the same here.

In Illinois, it's a Motor-Driven Cycle and you need a class "L" license, which is for any cycle from 1-149cc.

In order for it to be considered a "Moped" and have no special license needed, it has to meet the following requirements-
Illinois Motorcycle Operator Manual wrote:

-A motorized pedacycle is a motor-driven cycle with speed attainable in one mile of 30 m.p.h. or less.

-Equipped with a motor that produces 2 brake horsepower or less.

-If an internal combustion engine is used, the displacement shall not exceed 50cc.

-Power drive system shall not require the operator to shift gears.

All four criteria must be met, otherwise it is a Motor-Driven Cycle and a Class L is required.

Though many Illinoisans will argue that this is not the case 'cause their dealer told them so, that's what the State says.

I saw that in the rules of the road book ... its kinda pimp to have a license for the scoot...

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:46 pm 
Sounds like BigSlice knows the rules, but I'll reiterate:

In Minnesota (not Ontario, not California, not Illinois) there is exactly one class of motorcycle license. Go take the test on your Ruckus and trade it in for a Boss Hoss the next day. You're good to go. :wasted:

Colin

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
i bought my rucks thinking i didnt need a license then i got motorcycle plates when i picked it up. takeing my test monday on the ol ruck :banger:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:39 pm 
under 50cc it's a moped in MA. All you need is a valid DRIVERS license or permit :banger: :mrgreen:

Sweet!!

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=28253&start=0

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:26 pm 
I hear by the MVD grapevine that most states will be changing the Moped classification. Unfortunately the Ruckus doesn't fit the definition: NO ped and over speed. I'm getting my M-license this summer to beat the rush...

1986 Tomos Bullet
1983 Urban Express "Urban Assault" BB GET swap)
1979 Tomos "Hammered" & HOT BB kit
1979 Tomos Trike

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:44 pm 
I'm gonna be getting my Class M this fall, if all goes well.

Unlike some of you unlucky Rucksters, the MSF course in Illinois is FREE. Just a $20 deposit to reserve your seat.

Only problem is, because it's free (as opposed to the average of $350 at the private classes) they fill up FAST. I had been checking every couple of days waiting for the course list to be posted, and by the time I saw that they went up, everything was full till September.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:16 am 
In MN its all dependent upon what the dealer feels like licensing them as... While shopping around for my Ruck I had two dealers tell me it was a motorcycle and three tell me it was a moped. The only problem is if its registered as a moped and you get pulled over the cop can ticket you and your required to get the correct registration.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 am 
iowa is pretty simple - if it can go over 30mph then it's a motorcycle and has to be licensed as such AND you need the mc endorsement on your DL.

the MSO that the dealer provides to the county where the bike is registered clearly shows the maximum speed the bike can attain. now, the other paperwork the dealer sends is where it can get tricky. there's a checkbox on the application that the dealer can check. one is for moped and the other for mc.

some dealers like to tell the buyer that they don't need an mc license and check the moped box even tho the MSO shows the top speed.

and that's exactly what happened to me on the first met i bought. didn't realize it till i went to take the MSF class and got refused because my ride was a "moped". went back to the county offices and asked about it. they dug out the MSO and application the dealer sent. oops. they reissued the license plate and registration showing the met as a motorcycle at no cost because, and i'm paraphrasing here, the dealer fucked up.

the dealer used to run newspaper ads for the mets and rucks saying that no MC license was needed.

after i pointed out the problem to the county treasurer's office i noticed the dealer's ads no longer said that. :lol:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:57 am 
Here's the rules for Missouri

Licensing for a scooter or moped depends on whether the vehicle meets the definition of a motorized bicycle. The Missouri statute definition of a motorized bicycle is as follows:

"Any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder capacity of not more than fifty (50) cubic centimeters, which produces less than three (3) gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty (30) miles per hour on level ground."

A motorized bicycle does not have to be registered with the Missouri Department of Revenue. However, you must have a valid driver license (though no motorcycle endorsement is required).

Missouri statute does not require a helmet to be worn when operating a motorized bicycle. Please contact your local law enforcement agencies for any county/municipal codes that deal with helmets and motorized bicycles.

Keep in mind that no motorized bicycle may be operated on any public thoroughfare located within this state that has been designated as part of the federal interstate highway system.

My paperwork doesn't mention the H.P. of the Ruckus anywhere, and i was sent the title. In Missouri you don't even have to register one! No plates, no fees, no helmet required (dumb but there you go!) This has to be the best state for scooter ownership!

On the flip side, im sure, though i haven't heard, the rules will probably get stricter as time goes by. Theft is the thing here, however its sporadic. Being in the sportbike club here, and having several officers in the club, we have heard nothing about scooter wrecks, injuries, etc involving scooters, so maybe they will leave us alone!

07 GSXR 1000
09 Ruck
Ducati 848
the Springfield Scooter Underground