Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Lil Pinny's Build Thread
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:37 pm 
Its good to have forward pegs for layed back cruising but for the maximum tuckage you gotta almost cross your feet behind the front frame pegs have too much drag coefficient to reach absolute potential. Tuck in your right elbow and stick the other one behind your back like an Olympic speed skater. I call in it the perfectionist tuck. But if your not tucking front pegs are great especially if your 6'+ :popcorn: seriously serious yo

kscustom independent since 2005 not to be confused with the other guy

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:25 pm 
It's funny that you mention the exhaust studs......I just learned a lesson on those too, on my GET. Today I got my new tires put on my wheels and was excited to go for a ride since it was in the 60's here. I put my wheels back on and was putting my exhaust on when I snapped off one of my exhaust flange studs! I forgot to check the setting on my impact after putting the wheels back on.........was in too much of a rush. :headbashing:

Anyway, I was able to extract the broken stud from the engine and I put a stainless bolt in there for now. I'm going to replace that with a stainless stud after I get the rest of the broken stud out of the factory exhaust nut. So I only got to ride for about an hour instead of the 2.5hours I had planned. Live and learn I guess. lol

Be careful of those rear pegs. I don't know how you ride, but here in TN we have lots of curvy hilly roads and I love to hang the curves as deep as I can. I tried some pegs a friend gave me that were about as long as those, but bigger Dia. Anyway I was dragging them all the time. It eventually caused me to wreck. Bounced my back tire off the road and I was on my side before I even realized what happened. I now have the mnnthbx pegs and I LOVE them! I got the kenda tires that mnnthbx carries and I can hang some serious corners now.

Ps. Mnnthbx is only about 30 min from my house. Those guys are great! I can't wait for the crawl this year. It will be my first ruckus gathering.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:30 am 
I kinda need front pegs. I'm too damn big to fit on the ones I have now with the cross bar. I'm all scrunched up. Can't tuck too much with my knees in the chest. The question is am I going to lean so much that I'll dig them in the road and wipe out. I don't think so since I don't (or won't, or can't) drag a knee on the GY6 with the fatty rear tire. It's not the same as a GET.

I might remove the front peg spacers to bring them back in if that turns out to be a problem. I won't be able to tell for sure until I get the bike down and see how far it'll go over and not touch. Judging by looks, it doesn't seem like that will be a problem.

Worst case, if these don't work out, I'll switch them back to the mnnthbx, or switch them if I'm going out for a long ride with lots of curves. But here in Texas, around where I live, it's all really mostly straight roads with high speed limits. So being able to accelerate quickly and go really fast in a (mostly) straight line is the key to survival.

(the mnnthbx pegs already did a number on me, scroll back in the thread) Still like the mnnthbx pegs.

I got options. Anything I don't use I'll use for another project or swap in and out.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:13 am 
O-crap man! I'm sorry. Im going to be completely honest. Ive been reading so many builds on here over the last few weeks that I completely forgot that was you that got that huge gash on the back of your leg! I even showed the pic to my GF (a nurse RN) a couple of days ago.

And great point about your setup VS mine! I have no experience riding one with a fatty, or a gy6. I believe even on a mostly stocker like mine those front wouldn't even come close to touching the road. I was just thinking about them on the back peg area. I get ya on the leg room thing. I'm 6'3" 205lb and I don't tuck yet. Not while I still have my factory bars. It's too awkward.

Can't wait to see the rails installed!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:18 am 
I should write a how-to on how to treat the wound and make it heal right. :) I was going to a wound doctor for it but after a couple of times I learned how to treat it, and I don't go anymore.

I'm still healing and that happened before xmas.

The GY6 makes the weight of the ruck uneven since the engine is offset. The wider the rear tire, the more offset and the more uneven the weight is. Leaning left is easy since that's where the weight is and leaning right is totally different. I don't really see it as a cornering machine, but I'm sure others will have a different opinion.

It's also got alot more weight behind it... so the pegs might not have cut into me on a GET since that's alot lighter. With the GY6 and big wheels moving it had alot more force. I was coming to a stop when it happened not moving that fast at all. Totally my fault.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 am 
Anybody have to cut away the GY6 plastics around the exhaust port to make the exhaust gasket and header fit? Since I put the big bore kit on those studs are now M8's from M6's and it doesn't want to fit right. I could either cut a little plastic off, or loosen the plastic piece and wiggle the gasket and exhaust in, tighten and then tighten up the plastic. Decisions, decisions.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:26 am 
I cut the intake side of the plastics for the clocking flange, don't see why you couldn't do exhaust.

Plus, if you mess up, it's on the bottom so no one can see. And plastic covers are pretty cheap anyway.

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:09 am 
Fudge.

I managed to loosen it up but now the M8 bolt won't fit on the stud and clear the header. I think I gotta find a M8 to M6 reducer stud so the M8 side will go in the engine, and then I can bolt the exhaust down to the M6 side. The M6 barely clears.

I really gotta look at this stuff before saturday rolls around.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:11 am 
Maybe I can just use an M8 allen head bolt and just bolt it up there?

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:55 pm 
Weird. Went to start the ruck for the first time after the upgrade. I figured it was going to take a while since it hasn't been running and it lost the vacuum. So I hit it with some starting fluid and it kinda gets rolling and stops. I do that enough times and the battery dies, so I figure i'll put it on the tender and try later. But it was acting funny. It wasn't turning over when I hit the button... it was acting spotty and first, then no go at all. I figure, shit, gremlins.

So I start trouble shooting, and it turns out that I fried the button. I touched the two leads the button leads were soldered to and it spun the starter. I'm kinda happy it's just the button. Not sure if anything is fried or if the leads came loose inside the button. I'll look tomorrow.

Somehow during the upgrade, the carb got stuck to the point it wasn't working. The little plunger thing got stuck in the open position. I fixed it, but I'm not super sure how that happened. When I installed the big bore, I just set it to the side, didn't disconnect the throttle cable. I figure maybe the little plunger thing in there got spun around and got crooked in there. Seems to work fine now but I'm going to keep an eye on it. The last thing I need is a stuck throttle.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:12 pm 
I had a little time today during the day and I was able to fire up the 170cc GY6 big bore!!! Really shakes the ruck like a mofo. I'll take it for a test spin tonight.

woot!!

Still unsure why my starter button blew... I just crossed the leads and it fired the starter. After a couple of shots of starting fluid she idled. Now I got that vacuum back and gas in the bowl.

I went from a 115 main to a 118 (just guessing, figuring it should be bigger than the 115 at 150cc) and I'll see if that's enough. Once I've ridden it a while I'll put the wideband on it.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:57 pm 
I wanted to post this... I ran into trouble mounting my Yosh with the header I got from TRS when I did the big bore upgrade. The Taida head has hole for a M8 stud to mount the header. But M8 studs are too big to get a lug or bolt on the stud and not get blocked by the header itself. The stock M6 studs with an M6 lug just barely fit... So the header was designed with M6's in mind. I ended up just using M8 bolts to mount it on there but I also found some M8 to M6 studs on Amazon that would have worked.

The exhaust is a tight fit on the engine mount and the exhaust port. Using bolts provides a little give to get the thing on there and tighten it up.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am 
argh. I gotta engine ping at idle. I gotta redo the valves. Those supposed to be at .004?

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:38 pm 
Looking good man! Wish I could help you with the valve shimming, but that's not something I've had to do yet. I hate to hear that you've ran into these set backs. But you are taking them in stride like a champ! I'm sure it will all feel worth it once you're able to take that beast on some good rides.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:51 am 
Thanks man...

If it's not one thing, it's another.

But i've taken the bike apart so many times now that I'm a pro. Kinda hoping that I can get that head cover off w/o taking the engine off. That would really save some time. Hopefully I can knock it out today/tomorrow. The weather is good!!!

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 527 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 36  Next