Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: 3 Countries, 10K+ miles, 1 man charity ride
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm 
Hi Everyone!
My name is Tom - I'm from Pittsburgh and I am a new member here. I plan on riding my 2009 Honda Ruckus across 15 States and three countries (US, Mexico, and Canada). I would like to kindly ask for your support. I have chosen to ride a the Ruckus specifically because of the totalruckus.com community. (or maybe "family" would be a more accurate word).

Many of you supported Wan during his journey across the US in 2007 and I was absolutely blown away by the kindness and generosity of this community. It was an amazing journey and everyone involved was touched or changed in some way. I would like to build upon that goodwill.
I have decided to ride for three charities. Stopitnow.org, joyfulheartsfoundation.org, and the Horry County Sexual Assault Crisis Center in Myrtle Beach, SC. Combined, these charities provide prevention and treatment services to victims of domestic violence, child abuse, and all forms of sexual assault. I would like to raise a total of $20,000 for these incredible organizations.

Stopitnow.org and joyfulheartsfoundation.org both use a heart symbol in their logos. Consequently, I have plotted a route on google maps in the shape of a gigantic HEART, stretching over 10,000+ miles across all three countries. I spoke with the director of stopitnow.org a few days ago and in disbelief she said "How are you possibly going to do this"? "Who is your support team"? I said "My support team are the guys over at totalruckus.com". (I guess I inadvertently volunteered all of you…so please say yes…lol).

I would be extremely grateful for even HALF the kindness and generosity you extended towards Wan. I will be doing a lot of camping in the wild and living on Ramen noodles…lol…so an occasional warm bed, hot food, or an oil change would be awesome and very sincerely appreciated.

On a personal note, I have been riding scooters for 10 years now and have rarely ever had anyone to ride with (I live in a scooter void)…so I am REALLY looking forward to some SERIOUS riding with all of you!

BTW - Planning on leaving Pittsburgh Easter Morning (April 8th)! I have never done anything so sanely insane in my entire life…so wish me luck…I'm gonna need it.

P.S. I don't know a single word of Spanish. Any Ruck guys in or near Mexico City that speak English? Anybody have any relatives or connections in Mexico City?

Thanks Guys!

Tom

Josh: Oh, that's right, you don't like Vienna Sausages because you don't like hot dogs.
Tom: I don't like Vienna Sausages because I don't like Vienna Sausages...it has nothing to do with not liking hot dogs.

Last edited by tburick495 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: 3 Countries, 10K+ miles, 1 man charity ride
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:01 pm 
Ill make ya a meal and change your oil. I'm sure between our local Short Bus Crew we'd have a place to stay for a few.

Lake Stevens WA - just north of Seattle

Hell maybe I'll kick my job and gf to the curb and join u! :wasted:

SHORT BUS CREW

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm 
Palmdale CA,

We'd BBQ some Carne Asada for you and also wrench on whatever your bike needs.

Let us know! :popcorn:

MiniMotorMonster 4T
MiniMotorMonster 2T
A Day in the Desert Ride

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:27 pm 
What states are you planning on hitting?

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:58 am 
I am planning the route as we speak. I will do a google map screen capture and provide details in the next few days.

I appreciate the support from everyone!

Thanks!

Tom

Josh: Oh, that's right, you don't like Vienna Sausages because you don't like hot dogs.
Tom: I don't like Vienna Sausages because I don't like Vienna Sausages...it has nothing to do with not liking hot dogs.

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:42 am 
Was wondering if anyone has a Ruck OEM front wheel and tire. I need one for the single wheel trailer that I'm building for the journey. Also could use the red plastic tail light cover from the rear of the bike. Boost4Brains donated an OEM tail light / turn signal assembly for the trailer. It is complete except for the red brake lens cover. PM me if you can help out!

Thanks!

Tom

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Pics of single wheel trailer for charity ride
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:17 pm 
Can't seem to figure out how to post pics or create an avatar image for myself. I read the FAQ but can't seem to figure it out. Can someone explain how to add avatar image and pics

I have a rough assembly of the single wheel cargo trailer for the charity ride that I wanted to post...can someone help?

BTW - started getting some sponsorships for the 10K mile journey. Local scoot (HPS Motor Sports in Pittsburgh) shop donated a fresh battery, couple quarts of oil, a cargo net, and the rear wheel for the trailer.
An aluminum manufacturer in North Carolina donated some aluminum for the trailer.
Still waiting on an answer for a tent and a full face helmet from two other potential sponsors...should know by mid week!

Thanks Everyone!!

Tom

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:48 pm 
use www.imgur.com really easy

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: First PIC of Ruckus single-wheel trailer!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:57 pm 
Thanks Phildo!

Here goes. I am going to try to post a pic of the Ruckus trailer. In this pic, I have the parts propped together. I am in the process of building it as I write this. Lots more pics to come.

[url]Image[/url]

I am still planning on leaving Easter Sunday, April 8th.

HJC Helmets graciously sponsored an awesome Sys-Max III Hi-Viz yellow helmet for the journey. They were really great about it.

I have a marketing / publicist friend of mine helping to raise visibility of this charity ride. We are actually trying to get Tyler Perry involved in the ride. I would like to get a Honda motorcycle dealership in L.A. to loan him a Honda scooter for an afternoon to ride with me. That's the plan anyway. We'll see.

The great additional benefit of this charity ride is meeting fellow Rucksters and riding for the fun of it. Really looking forward to that.

I just got the website up a few days ago. It is not finished, but I will show you what I've got so far. I am riding for a very important social cause and I think that it is equally important for me to be transparent with my own story. I really hope I have the full support of the totalruckus.com community. This is going to be a life changing journey for everyone involved. I hope you guys are in it with me. It would mean a great deal to me.

http://www.journeyfromsilence.com

Still in need of a front tire/wheel from a Ruck. It will be mounted on top of the trailer as a spare. If you guys remember, Wan had SIX flat tires on his journey.

More Pics of the trailer to come....and constructive criticism would be welcome on the journeyfromsilence.com website.

Thanks Guys!

Tom

On a mission!
On a mission!
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Another Ruckus single wheel trailer pic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
Here is a quick rendering of the trailer...shows a little more detail.

[url]Image[/url]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:51 am 
Great trip! I'm in Camarillo. Well help you out however we can!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:52 am 
That's Camarillo, California. Near LA.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:22 am 
Just read your web site. Here are some thoughts for you.

-Do you have a timeline? Can you post it? Don't worry about sticking to it, just get it up so people can have an idea when you'll be around.
-Get a pod cast for learning spanish. If you have iTunes you can search for it for free. My favorite is the Scottish couple giving lessons. Cracks me up every time.
- I can volunteer a Ruckus for Tyler Perry. Give give give, never take, thats me :) Keep posting your journey and I might be able to get corporate help to show up. Wink wink. PM me and I'll share some ideas.
-Get on the road and have faith it will work out. It will!

I'll help however I can!

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:48 am 
just saw your route, if you come a little more inland to College Station, TX then you've got real food and a warm shower. we also have a plenty of awesome couches :)

Po' Ass | People's Champ | StatusScoots

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:53 am 
This should be fun to follow! :highfive:

:highfive:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 111  Next