Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: ZACH's low buck build/scooter diary. $48 fatty & DIY galore!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:24 pm 
I thought it was time to make my own little build thread. That way I can keep track of my ruckus and have one place where I can look back and enjoy the progress, all posted in order. Also a place for my to host random scooter stuff, ride pics, etc, etc.

My first scoot was an 84 spree Iowa. Bought it for $50, got it running, painted it olive drab and threw some knobbies on it.
It was slow and didnt always run right, but I loved it none the less.
It was dubbed "Srgt Spree". haha

Sept 2008 i bought my '09 Ruckus. The first "new" vehicle I have ever purchased. I was saving money in a jar for a while and paid in cash. I literally just brought my stash of cash to pay for the scooter. It was like a 10min process of me counting all the money($2500 is 20s, 10s, and even some 5s lol) and then the sales manager recounting all the bills. haha

I removed the mirrors and reflectors before it even came out of the back of the pickup. As soon as it hit the ground the front and rear fenders came off. The next morning I cut off the little plate bracket in the back.
Here is how it looked:

I threw a bar pad and a few stickers on:

A few weeks later, I bought a used Grey '08 ruckus with 1500 miles on it:

My first little group ride. Once I rode around with a few other scooters I was hooked!! What a blast!

Clint on the Ruck helping Shawn on the spree get up to speed. lol

My first mod was a lowered seat frame. I also pulled the floor boards off.
I then got a KN variator, some Met rollers and a JC lightened flywheel.
Here it sits in front of my house, right before our 170mile trip to North Dakota:

Here is a shot about 40 miles into our trip (we had to take about 15 miles of gravel road to avoid the freeway)

Heres a link to our little road trip:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=24051

After our trip I bought some used carbon fiber bars, a cheap stem, and the Password shim kit.
I also moved the speedo to the battery box:

That first winter I rode the Ruckus to work everyday. I only missed 3 days and 2 of those days the city was shut down and my work was closed. lol
A couple snow pics:

I had alot of close calls that winter, but didnt put her down even once.
More than once I've had people at stop light offer to give me a ride home, because the weather was too bad. haha. I just thank them, but decline. :)

The next summer I painted the front frame black and made a cheap homemade intake:
Oddly enough I did not have to rejet after the filter mod. I was happy about that!

In the meantime, a friend from Cheyenne calls and says a guy he knows has an '86 Elite 150 that he will part with for $100.
Long story short, it begins like this:

And ends like this in Skelly mode:
Its been nicknamed Skeletor. Ugly as sh*t but hauls ass! :)

My skelly build thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=39177

A few months after I bought the '86 I picked up this gem:
An '87 that runs like a top, but has a bent front fork and wheel. I rode it around a little bit, but it mostly just sits for now. :(

A pic of my growing scooter family:
by this time the spree was completely dead. you can barely see it off to the right. How sad. :cry:

Meanwhile a few other guys got scooters and we were having awesome little group rides.
Turns out when you get a few guys together and put them on sissy scooters, shananigans begin to happen.
Here are a few random scoot pics from a few random rides:

Bowl shoes!

It turns out blocking traffic and forcing cars to drive very slow can be a very fun thing! lol
^^Far right is Dave and his 70cc zuma with nitrous. Its fast!! :banger:

Burnouts:
^ignore the clothes. We all decided to dress up and go for a ride. This was after we had ditched our wigs. :P

Sidewalk action:

Bike path action :army: :

Bombing through alleys:

Wheelies:

Total random hooliganisms:

And some cold, winter time riding:

All this time my Ruckus has not changed much. I was just enjoying our group rides, the scooters reliability, and the ridiculous gas mileage.

Fast forward to a few months ago and I started getting the itch to mod. A few friends had bought extensions, braces, etc and they scoots were looking badass. I was starting to get jealous. I wanted a rad scoot, but didnt want to be riding a $7-$8k scoot after all the mods.

I thought to myself, "why cant I just make all my own sh*t?"
So I dusted off my little flux core welder, bought a chop saw, grinder, and a new bench top vice.

to be continued......

Coming soon:
DIY 10" extension
DIY drag bar aka chin bone
DIY $48 Fatty
DIY slammed front forks
DIY exhaust

Ruck build/Scooter pic thread
DIY - $48 fatty, stretch, chin bone, exhaust, slammed front forks, lowered seat:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=45778

Last edited by ZACH on Sun May 09, 2010 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Post subject: Re: ZACH's low buck build thread/Scooter pic diary..
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:56 pm 
This could be good.... :D very good. :D

or maybe not so good...... :ucrazy:

nice collection :banger: :banger:

All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck, I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not viewtopic.php?f=92&t=40592

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:22 pm 
hahaha you guys are nuts... those look like fun adventures w/ those scoots..

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:27 pm 
Surprised there isn't more up to date info Zachary.....stuff got real lately I am sure pics will be up very soon :banger:

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:07 pm 
dope stable! 8) Lots of potential there---except for the skelly that bad motherfucker is a done deal! :banger:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:19 am 
JEDI 2.0 wrote:
dope stable! 8) Lots of potential there---except for the skelly that bad motherfucker is a done deal! :banger:

i LOVE my skeletor. Without a doubt my funnest scoot to ride!
The '87 has begun its Skelly transformation also. haha.

I have a ton more pics, but Im trying to keep them in order. :mrgreen:

DIY - $48 fatty, stretch, chin bone, exhaust, slammed front forks, lowered seat:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:59 am 
I just about freeze when it's 50 out, forget 5! Awesome pictures, probably the most enjoyable thread in this section haha.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:19 am 
very cool collection!

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:18 pm 
DIY EXTENSION:

We have done this slightly different both times we did it.
I used angled steel for my extension, while we just used strap for Kris', but the process is pretty much the same.

I only took a few pics while doing these, so I made a few drawings. haha

First rip your scoot apart:
^LOL

Here is my drawing of the rear frame:
lol

Determine how long you want your extension to be, cut two pieces of angled or strap steel, and drill a hole in both ends.

Then you bolt one end of each to your scooters stock engine mounting location:

bolt the other end to your engine, determine what height you want, and then measure the distance from the top of your extension to horizontal bar that your coolant tank hangs from.(you will have to grind the coolant mount tab off and relocate your tank).

Then simply cut two pieces of square tubing to the correct lengths, fish mouth the ends, and weld them in place. Make sure to do some measuring before you weld. Make sure your rear tire is centered!
Here is an illustration of what it should look like. I drew in the horizontal bar, so you could visualize it. :)

So it should look something like this:

Also, its a good idea to put a cross brace in here:

This is a VERY simple process if you have access to a welder, you can literally stretch it as far as you want, and it is dirt cheap to do. :banger:

I put a 10" extension on my scooter. Since my handlebars are lowered, I did not need longer brake or throttle cable. The only thing I bought was a longer fuel line.

Here are some before and after pics of my ruck with my ass on it:
Before-

After-

Also if you notice, my front cables are all F'd up.
I had my Ruck parked in the mud room. The front cables, front fender, and all 4 blinkers went into this guys tummy:
Thanks alot Turk! :pissed:
haha

Coming next, DIY drag bar........ and more riding!!

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 am 
DIY drag bar aka chin bone

This is pretty easy. Anyone with a chop saw, welder, and a tape measure can knock this out pretty quick.

Here are some measurements.
^^haha. I know, it looks like a 5yr old did my drawing for me. lol

The whole thing is just made of some steel tubing and strap, measured out and welded together.
After measuring twice and cutting once :wink: , I had it all tacked together:

Testing it on the scoot, its a perfect fit:

Pulled it back off and primed:

And painted:

And thrown back on:

The next day a few of us went for a little cruise:
Met up at Kris' house:
^his neighbor decided to swing over and show us what a real 2 wheels vehicle is supposed to look and sound like.
..so we beat him to death and dumped his body in the river!!!!!!!!!

jk! :wink:
He was actually a cool guy(unlike Kris' other neighbor is an actual douche)

Anyway, on with the ride!
Here I am, enjoying my newly stretched, newly drag braced ruckus:

Here is Andy(our guest rider for the day) smoking a cigg, riding my stock ruck:
very classy Andy. lol

Kris enjoying a tasty beverage while riding:
please excuse my shadow :oops:

4 grown men on scooters. WTF!

The Skelly, on her way to doing what she does best: burying the needle on her ruckus speedo.
haha

Shinanigans
sidewalk action

dirt circle track action!

unfortunately, this pic does no justice, but Clint and the shopping cart that he just let go of(into the cart corral, of course) are traveling at about 20mph. haha!

The crew for the day:
My '09

Justin's

The Skelly
^you bad bitch!

My stocker

And Kris giving his scoot a prostate exam
^^So happy!!! haha

Next up...
DIY $48 fatty wheel

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 pm 
DIY $48 FATTY

We used a 10x7 steel golf car wheel. Offset was 3:4. Which basically means a 3" lip on one side and a 4" lip on the other. Basically. ha

Here is the exact wheel we purchased on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-GOLF-CART-whe ... 2364wt_941

We call it the $48 fatty, but in reality, it only costs you $47.49 :wink:
lol

I received the wheel, spaced the motor over, and kind of test fit it to see who close to center it would be:

Here its just set on the scooter. Just trying to visualize it:

This is also the time I realized that putting a stock 130 tire on the rim, might not be the easiest thing. lol

So here is basically how it is done.
Take a grinder or cutting wheel and butcher the center out of your stock wheel. So now the center of your stock ruckus wheel becomes your hub. Center the ruckus hub as best you can inside of the golf cart wheel. make sure before you start drilling or welding, that you have the 3" side facing the swing arm.

Now grind off the paint on the face of the hub and the back side of the wheel.

After measuring a few times, we drilled holes in the ruckus hub and used small bolts to attach the hub to the wheel. Now the bolts will eventually be removed. They are only there to make the balancing process much easier. Make sure that your bolts are quite a bit smaller than holes, to allow for maximum adjustment. :)

After you have the bolts snugged down, stick the fatty on your scoot, turn it on and get the wheel spinning.
At this time you will notice that your new wheel assembly wobbles and looks like complete sh*t. haha

So first things first, grab a philips head screw driver, brace it the shock and touch the edge of the wheel, like this:
*note, I originally did this with no tire on. These pics were taken after the fact, just for visual purposes.

Then with your hand spin the wheel. Using the edge of the screw driver as a reference, you can see exactly how much the wheel is wobbling left to right. If I remember right, this is called lateral runout.
So what I did was stop the wheel when it was in its farthest left position, (i consider this to be a low spot)then loosen the bolts holding the hub to the wheel and stick a feeler gauge between the hub and the wheel, tighten it back down and spin it again. Find the low spot again and repeat.
Of the two we have built, it didnt take more than 3 feeler gauges to get the lateral runout to an acceptable point.
Here is what it should be looking like:

By now your wheel shouldnt be wobbling left and right much, but may be moving up and down(its called radial runout), because the hub may not be perfectly centered still.

Now take the same screw driver, steadying your hand against the shock again, and point it vertically against the lip of the wheel:
*note- my hand is firmly anchored on the shock, so as the wheel spins, my screw driver does not move at all.

Now spin the wheel by hand, stop it at its highest position, just slightly loosen the bolts holding the hub to the wheel(not too much!! you dont want your feeler gauges falling out!) and give the wheel a tap with a rubber mallet, in the appropriate direction. Retighten, spin again, and repeat until your satisfied with the results.

Once you think you have it spot on, start the scooter and get the wheel spinning. You will never get the wobble out completely, but if you ever notice, a stock ruckus wheel is not perfectly true either.
The first time I did it, i readjusted time and time again, trying to get it perfect without success. So I pulled it all apart, took the wheel into work and spun it on the balancer. Guess what...... the damn $48 wheel isnt even straight. As a matter of fact, it had more wobble than it did when I had it bolted and adjusted on my ruckus hub.
Feeling better about myself, I went back home, redid the whole process and got back to where I had left off: An acceptably straight hub and wheel bolted together.

Ok, time to bust out the welder! :D

I laid a few tacks down, as close as I felt comfortable to my feeler gauges. I wanted any spacing my gauges were doing to stay the same. After the tacks, I removed my feeler gauges, threw the wheel back on and spun it to make sure everything was still looking good. It was. :)

Time to weld!

This is the outcome:

Didnt look too bad! I let it cool down, threw it on one more time just for my own piece of mind. It still looked great.

So I removed the bolts I had in the wheel and with the help of a couple ratchet straps, mounted the tire.
Here are a few pics:

*note-no shock on, that why the back wheel is so far up.

After buttoning it up, I took it for a spin. I cannot notice any wobble or vibration an any speed. A friend of mine just purchased a bolt-on hub and wheel combo and my $48 set-up appears to be truer than his.

Now, if your wondering how sturdy this set-up is, Kcud did the same process on his mini fatty he built and put probably 500miles on it(before we built him a $48 fatty) with no problems what so ever. We ride fairly hard too. Hop curbs, bomb parking lots and alleys. Lots of bangs and bumps. Not a single problem. If you have a welder and some patience, you can build your own fatty and save some money towards go-fast parts or hookers or drugs or whatever!

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:02 pm 
You guys have wayy too much fun :lol: :banger: :banger: :banger:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:07 pm 
More pics from a recent ride:

Met up at subway:

My bud T-roy, enjoying his newly purchased Ruck:

Thirsty fella, I guess!

Pete's scoot(which two weeks later looks nothing like this. haha)

Stopped at a gas station:

Clint and T-roy decided to roll through the Taco Johns drive-thru. lol

Clint, on Skeletor, decided to drag this stick around with him:
He literally drug it until, riding behind him, it smelled like a forest fire. Eventually the stick was ground down to a fine powder! haha

Me and my $48 fatty:

Kris(Kcud) and his $48 fatty:

Kris likes to paint things, so he made his perdy.

I am ghetto and like ugly things, so I left mine(at least for now), but I did slap it a Jimmy Johns sticker on it. HAHA
I love JJ!!! :banger:

UP NEXT DIY SLAMMED FRONT FORKS!!

Last edited by ZACH on Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:10 pm 
ClassicCityRuckus wrote:
You guys have wayy too much fun :lol: :banger: :banger: :banger:

Ahaha. Thanks man. Our cars are being completely ignored because of these damn scooters. :ucrazy:

:wasted:

One of Us
One of Us

Post subject: Re: ZACH's low buck build/scooter diary. $48 fatty & DIY galore!
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 9:13 pm 
wow man, its really coming along. I love the $48 fatty :banger:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 397 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next