Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
 Post subject: College Student Ruck Build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:50 pm 
Thought i would start a build thread, even tho i'm pretty far in, but still lots to go. I've wanted a ruck for as long as i was able to drive mopeds, but always settle for a cheap chinese moped. Finally this past June i got a ruckus, a 2012 with around 1900 miles on it. Love it to death, put around 3000 miles on that summer. Got lowered handle bars for it, lowered seat frame and exhaust. It stayed that way for most of the summer. I moved a little bit away for college, and didn't have much money to modify it. But lately i have been spending more money than i should to get it how i want.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

Post subject: Re: College Student Ruck Build
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:07 pm 
Start with doing some back tracking on the stuff i have already done to it prior, mostly for jokes, i got a free hella horn from work, and being a subaru guy, naturally i had to add some subaru to the ruckus, so i bolted the horn in the stock location and plug it in, definitely an upgrade, super loud, looks kinda goofy though. Don't have any original pictures, but i installed a chimera lowered seat frame shortly after this.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:10 pm 
i later bought a vapor trail from a local guy, turns out its not the one for specifically for the ruckus, which is a bummer, but i still plan on buying the accessories i need and finish installing it.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:12 pm 
Then once i got to school, i didn't do much for. I ended up buying a ruckshop 9.5" stretch from a local guy for cheap, and put that on, i did one test ride with it, and then my ruckus died and wouldn't start, and still have yet to figure out whats wrong with it.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:14 pm 
A couple days ago, i used my tax return money to buy some big parts. I ended up getting a new motor, since i was sick of dealing with all the issues mine was having, and i bought a ruckshop 12.5" stretch kit and 12x8 douglas wheel.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:18 pm 
And earlier today was the day i decided to install everything, i had the ruckus mostly torn apart, so i took the time while it was off, to shave off all the brackets i didn't need off the rear frame. And just rattle canned the bare metal areas for now, since i plan on painting everything either this summer or next winter.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:22 pm 
Then i got back to my storage unit and got to work. I didn't get many photos of the process as i was focused on getting as much together as i could before i ran out of sunlight, but i finally got it together and rolled it out for some pics. Even after swapping in a new engine, its still doing the same thing it did with the old engine, cranking, but not starting, so i gotta spend some more time diagnosing that. So far I'm super happy with how it looks, and i'm hoping i can get it started soon, since the weather is starting to get a little warm, although, being in Wisconsin, that probably won't last long.
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]
[rimg]Image[/rimg]

5-0 Magnet
5-0 Magnet
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:55 pm 
Was it running fine before the stretch? Double check grounds, coil, throttle cable, and fuses.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:17 pm 
ya, it ran perfect before the stretch, drove it 50 mins and back from a car show, then i put the stretch on and it wouldn't start, i double checked everything is connected, then swapped the motor and double checked all the connections again and still nothing

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:26 pm 
Why would you want to run that exhaust upside down like that?

'The Darkness'

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:51 pm 
that was just temp, i just put the tip on briefly to see how it looks, its on right side up now

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:50 pm 
next time you might want to trouble shoot the starting before you make more changes. It should have started after the stretch.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:06 pm 
Unplug the fuel line from the carb and make sure your fuel pump gushes fuel out. Insure you didn't crack the rubber the carb plugs into.

kscustom independent since 2005 not to be confused with the other guy

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:31 pm 
Originally after I put the 9.5" stretch on, it started right up first try, so I took it for a test ride, drove maybe a quarter mile, then it wasn't accelerating when I pulled the throttle, I pulled over and it idled for a bit until it died on its own, and then I couldn't get it started after that. I replaced the motor with a newer, lower mileage motor, that I know ran perfect when it was taken off, and its still doing the same thing as my original motor did when I tried to start it, so I'm thinking its maybe a wiring issue or something.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:27 pm 
Have you checked your grounds to see if they're loose? Connections on the coil?

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)