Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: T.W. Bond's Western-Samurai "The Second"
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 pm 
First Ruckus build....First build thread...If you think it sucks,well sit down and enjoy the fucking ride!
This first pic is where it is now.....85%

Got a new Ruck 02/14
She's a thirteen but who's counting!

Planned a full build from the start,but had to start with a few things for the time being.
Not to drag this shit out,next up a few quick mods....up.....Carbon Yoshi....Clean as any race pipe I've ever seen!

Next up,Drag pack-battlescooter-mntbx A/F holder,pcv cover plate,Ruckshop air box delete.

More build to come.......stay tuned :usa: :wanker:

Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=92995&start=0

Last edited by TobyWong007 on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: T.W. Bond's Western-Samurai "The Second"
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:31 pm 
:wanker: What's up.Those mods were okay.38-40mph not near enough to handle Colorado suv traffic.Gave me some time to consider the wide world of Ruckus options.It needs them.The Ruckus has great potential,but needs a lot of work to get to where I think it needs to be.Also found too many builds that looked the same.Sounded the same.Although it is important to use parts that are iconic of the Ruckus,there seems to be a lot to choose from and wanted my Ruckus to be My Ruckus.

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:02 pm 
this machine is straight dope.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:46 pm 
Brass Tacks
After many moons of google searching I formulated my vision.I started where it counts.Performance.I wanted to build a Ruckus that was Strong and Fast and Good-looking,in that order.
Before we start talking parts I want to say this.I HATE CHINESE PARTS! I have good reason,the Kawi shop I worked for sold schwinn scooters.They were vile,retched piles of shit not worth shipping.So I went to great lengths to avoid china-spec gear.Not trying to hate,just stating a preference.Although with my firm stance on that in place it reduced my options considerably.The {good}GY6 engines,out of Taida seemed like a good option,but unproven in my eyes and possibly not up to the USA,JPN,EU specs i am used to.
Yamaha AEROX.
With the GY6 pretty much purged from from my mind I started looking at other like models in JPN/EU/USA.Zuma engines i.e.Minarelli short case was the next logical option.It had some good options for upgrades via Most S6-R/T parts,but the rear drum brake was kind-of a downer,doesn't go with the Strong part of the build.Also I couldn't find and rear carb engine mount,oversized trans kit is meant to work with Long case engines and cases would not work with a tall wheel {13"}.Piaggio and Morini engines have great potential,but pivot from the bottom side of the cases,Zuma 125 style.Making full underside engine mount fab nec.Minarelli ,Branded Yamaha,long case engines mount/pivot from to top of the cases,have an awesome selection of performance parts,rear disk and some avail here in the states.They came in Malagutti's and older Aprilia SR50'S.The Italian Cup races are owned by scoots with these engines.The dopest model being the Yamaha AEROX 50.YQ50.Good enough for Valentino Rossi to roll in the pit.Okay,sold.But this decision meant a few things.I chose euro performance over "custom Ruckus" standards.It reduced wheel selection,which I was kind of looking forward to Dorbyworks sickness.I do have options for this app,but not like GY6/GET.However this app/engine did provide better options for race-spec brakes and fully adjustable suspension.In keeping with my Strong/Fast/Sharp priority list,I'm right on track.

MINARELLI LONG CASE,95cc R/T BIG BORE.

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: T.W. Bond's "The Second" 95cc R/T Big Bore
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:03 pm 
After a month or two I sourced cases/parts and found a machinist to rock my cases.Started with part compatibility,avail and cost.Or enough to get started.
Stage6 R/T Catalog.............lol
R/T 95cc Cylinder kit.
R/T Crank 90mmX14mm...Race not replica
R/T PIPE 95cc
R/T INTAKE/CARB 32MM With bell mouth 107mm
R/T Gear cover
S6 Gearing 14/42
R/T Over-range trans kit
R/T MKII Clutch 107mm
R/T Bell 107mm type 433
R/T Rear shock
S6 280mm Front Rotor,190mm Rear
R/T Caliper X2

MVT Allumage dd-06 Ignition.....Has digital direct,internal rotor and lighting coil---most don't.
Gyronetics Spyder wheels 13" with invisible valve stems
Avon Viper Stryke Tyres 130/60/13,140/60/13
Malossi Low draw Water pump
Malossi Forks F33s
Voca racing caliper mount for minarelli/R/T caliper

ImageImage

I built this engine to be for a scooter,not a race bike.I prefer torque in town,light to light.So I left the pipe extension long,putting the power in the rpm that I will be riding at mostly.Race tuning of this engine will produce as much as 28bhp @16k ,but will reduce torque to only 3-4ftlbs and reliability for street use becomes an issue without constant race-style maintenance.Perfect result @ 1:1 trans ratio.

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm 
So with a few more parts in from Germanland,it's time for........First mock pics muthafuckas
ImageImage
ImageImage

Charmingly Ghetto.....I know.....It was winter and the garage was freezing!
The fourth pic shows the fuel tank I got from Monster GY6.I needed a large tank due to my engine being pre-mix.The tank I got from them was in poor shape.Dings in power coat and big mis-cut marks around the filler neck.It took a lot of work to get it smooth enough to run with pride. :wc_flag:
Also the Polini Torsen Brace for the trans housing,case to axle, was a must have! :wanker: :usa: :banger:

Build Thread:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:58 pm 
Wow man its so nice to see something different

if you add an "r" in "[img]" like so "[rimg]" it will resize your photos for you

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:27 pm 
:wanker: :usa: With the engine in order.....Now came the metal work.This part boys and girls was the bitch.Lots of grinding! I eliminated all unnecessary mounts,loops and casting marks.I did a lot of sanding,thinking small stuff would be visible,but with hindsight,the powder ended up being fucking thick so I don't know if that time was invested well,but felt good to have nice smooth surfaces and welds. :meh: Contacted John@ Mojo Customs,Great guy!Had lots of good info for me and my swap.He set me up with his weld-on zuma mounts and his rear shock mount.Both worked great! I am doing a short and tall build so I used the first mounting hole on the shock mount,radius the remaining two.The zuma mounts I installed backwards,and filled the outside weld with bronze to give a one piece look.Note the engine mount from stage 6/rear carb mount app,has no place to hard mount to i.e. like the frame it's meant for-aerox-so the engine will pivot/and be damped by the bushings in the mount.This an option for racing and would probably vibrate the shit out of your balls anyway,but worth mentioning.The rear frame also needed hangers for the bottom of my radiator and eyelets for the chinbone frame brace.My ATR seat frame needed hangers for the top of the radiator.Kajima kickstand mounting plate had to be moved,will explain w/cowl.
I also had to build a steering stem/triple clamp to work with the forks i am running.The Malossi F33s forks come with a triple tree for the Aerox.So I cut the stem portion out of the stock ruckus tree and welded it in to the Aerox tree.Also had to build a wing style steering stop to bolt into the Aeorx tree.
I decided to go with the headlamp lowering bracket from Composimo,wanted to keep the Ruckus headlamp look.Cleaned off all tabs and shit from the stock bracket I didn't like.
I had to fabricate a pipe hanger to work with the polini swing arm brace,and a plate to mount my coil/fuel pump under the fuel tank.Front wheel spacer,speedo drives look like shit!
Here's the first bolted together,rolling mock and metal work pics
ImageImage

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:05 pm 
:chow: Now with a rolling Ruckus I could start to focus more on the "Looks"part of the build.Wanted to use my coat of arms colors,wht/blk/red,but was kind of married to the orange with so much Stage6 gear.
Flopped a few times and went with White-on-Black,Black-on-White,Dash Orange-mostly on Black,Aluminum okay in small doses. :banger:
The STR8 cut CVT cover and MTKT rear fender look nice for starters.
ImageImage

My Kajima Kickstand needed some work though.The Gangster Lean is cool until your custom flops!Base plates had to place the eyelet for the kick 1-3/4" fore,1-3/4" down to lean right and work with a cowl.

Build Thread:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:28 pm 
Wow really great looking ride! Would love to see more photos or video

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 pm 
what are you using for fuel delivery?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:31 pm 
:chow: Thank you Gents :banger:
I am using a Mikuni DF44-211-D Fuel Pump.
Had two issues.
1.Make sure to install the stock check valve in-line at lowest point.I forgot to install and had hard start/had to prime manually,fuel return after float bowl/carb was filled.
2.The vacuum Port on the pump is very large,twice the size of the port on my carb i.e. 5.5mm vs. 3.0mm.Normal motorcycle hose would not fit both sizes.So I used a vacuum tube joiner/converter and two different sized tubes.This caused cancellation of the engine pulse,+ = -,which lead to cavitation or air bubbles in the fuel line and a lean condition. :headbashing:
I corrected this by using automotive vacuum line,the thickest hose wall with the smallest inner dia. ,that was still able to install over the port on the pump.
No problems since. :killa:

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:52 pm 
:killa: Colors picked and rough idea as to where this build was going visually.I wanted balance and continuity between parts and colors of parts.I realized I was very close to building a sport scooter! Okay cool,but I am building a Honda Ruckus,a scooter that is cool because it's not a sport style/plastic-fairing scooter.Reality check in place,I contacted most of the U.S. ruck specialty shops i.e. TRS,DORBY,SF,DROWSPORTS,RUCKHOUSE etc. Hai T. @ RUCKSTERS ended up being my guy. :highfive: He has a really great attitude and is willing to help.Knows his shit and has a good sense of how parts end up working together in the end.He helped me line out a full range of matching parts,v2 washer kits,monster kickers,under seat tail lamp,turn signals,frame caps all with matching eight-hole/clear lenses. :chow:
He also sourced me a Rat Koubou Under Cowl Version 2 or V2 that No Body Runs! :beers: To the point I couldn't find a picture of one mounted on a Ruck. :ninja4 Can't see why,especially long and low builds where ground clearance is an issue.My issue was that my build was taller than most builds,placing the frame higher up the front wheel.The RatKoubou Under Cowl Version one v1,with it's sport bike style forward pointing hugger,is meant to follow the curve of the front wheel.On my build,it would have ended up with the lowest point rubbing in the middle of the wheel and not near the ground like my GSXR. :wanker: :usa: When I installed it I was certainly right about the kick stand not working,I would've had to remove the entire rear "spike" :headbashing: Not happening!
ImageImage

Notice the plate for the kickstand...see it grow? :loopy

Rat Koubou under cowl version 2 mounted. :killa:

Build Thread:

Last edited by TobyWong007 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:07 pm 
:usa: :wanker: :banger: Since I was in mock-up mode I was able measure for the brake hoses and calculate my master cylinders. :banger:
TR Guide Choosing your master cylinder was great for info as well as some other good sources found with google search. :highfive: This is how I came to the set-up I am running.And love!
I've mentioned already that I started,in the early days of conception with Aerox 50 wheels, brakes and suspension because they work with my engine selection.
Stage 6 280mm front wave rotor
Stage 6 190mm rear wave rotor.both probably Galfer.
Stage 6 R/T Radial Calipers 100cc four-pot front/rear
The stock Aerox runs............
Bembro calipers 64cc two-pot front/rear
Yamaha MC's with an 11mm piston i.d.
Yamaha 190mm rotors front/rear
Loosely using the factory equation,but wanting a factory type feel.I figured that somewhere between 13-16mm inner piston diameter would be my range. :chow:
Finding matching master cylinders in that size was to be though.Not much to choose from in that size.Bembro/Accassato are really nice,bucks though!Most of they're line doesn't go that small of i.d. and most left hand cylinders are meant to use mineral oil for euro clutches.Running out of options fast! :headbashing:
Frando brake components had good feed back from people who run them.Scooterists and Motorcycle racers-used as an alternative to pricey-gonna-brake-anyway parts.
Did some research.Found that Frando makes a 9/16in :meh: let's call it 14mm I.D. piston,Radial mounted,DOT4.Matching colors and billet cap sets.Gang's all here! They are made very close to China though,which makes me nervous.Hard to buy/find dealers here in the States.Really nervous.Shops that did stock,had one side....in Black...Sorry :bitchslap:
Found an ominous listing for them on eBay.Seemed a little sketchy.Fired off a message.Dude in ROC Taiwan got back to me,hooked up a set of 14mm L/R orange no problem,even sold me on a black cap set.
So my set-up ended up as
Frando Master cylinders 14mm i.d. piston
Stage6 R/T Calipers 100cc displacement
Result is maybe a tick more gradiated that a stock SR50,but not at all delayed.Right where I wanted the feel.I don't even like to think the word.....Grabby. :killa:
Note: These cylinders are big! Levers are long! Shorty levers would be nice...badass machinists out there......With shorter levers though,the feel may become less gradiated. :chow:

Yes I said brake hoses at the beginning,want to write them up right....They're sick!!!!

Build Thread:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Shop mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:46 pm 
:wanker: :ucrazy: :usa: CORE MOTO The real deal Brake Lines http://www.coremoto.com/category_s/306.htm
:killa: I measured my Brake Lines using a new/stiff extension cord,blue tapping it to the master cylinder @ base of plug.routing the cord through the frame etc to the caliper,adding a inch or two and then doing again two more times,while turning the bars, just to be sure.If your order the wrong length they will fix it,but you pay.So get it right.Then I found that aligning my eye to the position,or in the path of where I wanted the line to end up being routed,helped me visualize the bend of the banjo fittings I needed to mate to the component. :fuck: There is a how-to to on this site http://www.coremoto.com/category_s/306.htm If my blather makes no sense to you.
With my measurements in hand choosing my colors was easy,I was sticking to my designs.Others may find that is difficult due to the seemingly vast,colors for each possible portion of hose-even the fucking logo,fitting bends in degrees and RH/LH. :wow:
Called these guys late...like miller time.Dude on the phone was on point.Specs ready on both ends! Note: I added some extra grommets to the lines for contact/rub spots I thought would cause some trouble and zip tied them on both sides in place.Also got some tethers/holding tabs meant to go around the grommets and route the lines.
:banger: 48 HOURS from that call I was test fitting perfectly made lines.Custom to-order,Made in Florida,Shipped to Colorado in 48 hours from my call.God bless America! :usa:
Check the color match to Stage 6 orange.. :chow:
ImageImageImage

I guess the reason I was/am so excited about these lines is they may be the only part of the build that didn't require any cutting,drilling,sanding,rewiring,etc. When you order that amount of options,it becomes a list.Lots of room for error.These guys nailed it! Two custom lines,gromments/tethers and banjo's/washers.Overnight service....147.00$ WELL SPENT! :banger:

Link for lines
http://www.coremoto.com/category_s/306.htm

Build Thread: