Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: RuckinCoug11's WAZZU Ruck Build
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:07 am 
Whats up everyone, Im Andy. Im building this Ruck to commemorate the funnest years of my life.. The 4 years I spent at Washington State University in Pullman, WA - GO COUGS!! I rode my Ruck everywhere in Pullman, no matter if it was sunny and 100+ out or snowing and -20. My ruck never let me down! I'm now graduated from WSU and living back in my home city - Olympia, WA, athough I try to make it back to Pullman as often as possible to ride with my crew! My original Ruck is an 07, I bought it brand new and has about 2500 miles on it now (quite a few for the size of Pullman). Since I consider her the OG Ruck of the group (yeah I like to brag a little lol) I couldn't imagine tearing her apart for any length of time for a build.. so I went ahead and picked up an 09 with just over 1000 miles.

Most of my crew over in Pullman, Im on the far right..

Stole a couple shots from my buddy Luu (Ruck8).. my Ruck has the X'd out eyes..

Specs on OG-ET:
HMF Exhaust - So loud! :)
Black Box CDI
Slick Speed Variator with 6gram rollers
Drop in Air Filter

I think thats all..?

Anyways, on to the new build.. Like I said, WAZZU.. Crimson and Gray, or in this case Gray and Crimson. Ill be painting / powdercoating most everything a gunmetal gray, Ill then use red or "crimson" accents. Other than that I'm kind of just planning as I go..

I picked her up in Portland, Oregon which is about an hour and half from where I live..
Couple pics of her after the trip home..

I finally brought her into the house a couple nights ago and began tearing her apart. Only took about an hour to get the 'ol GET outta there and about another hour fighting my way through the wiring harness, controls, and anything else in my way. Ill have photos of the progress up Tomorrow! (wayy to lazy to go out to the car and get my camera right now lol)

Plans as of Now:

Gy6 - Purchased
Composimo 7" fatty mount- Purchased
ATR Harness - Purchased -Thanks RUCKSTER!!
Password Pegs - Purchased
NCY foot brace / pegs - Purchased
NCY Tank Cover - Purchased
Gojin bolt kid (red) - Purchased
Max Power adjustable cdi - Purchased
Password V2 cap cover - Purchased
6 Shooter-ish frame caps (red) - Purchased - Thanks retrosb!!
7" Golfcart wheel with Pirrelli Tire and Hub - Purchased - Thanks Luu (Ruck8)!!
Turtlehead and Dingeberry - Thanks mnnthbx!!
Shortend Seat Frame
Kijima turn signals
Stainless Rear brake cable
Controls
Atr low stance rear shock
RRGS Big Brake kit- red - Thanks Dorby!!
CNC Levers / grips - Thanks Dorby!!

Think thats it for now..

Still to buy:
Exhaust - btx overhead
Handlebars
Seat Cover
FTP Frame splitter

I think that should get me rolling.. for now ;)

Anyways, hope you enjoy the build and I appriciate any constructive criticism, comments or concerns. Thanks for stopping by!

oh ya.. GO COUGS!

Go Cougs!!!

Last edited by RuckinCoug11 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:17 am, edited 5 times in total.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: RuckinCoug11's WAZZU Ruck Build
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:13 am 
Go Cougs! Lets get this thing rolling so we can have another GY rolling out here!!!

"Cool Grey": http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=65976

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:33 pm 
Alright.. the photos of the past couple days work.

After getting her inside where I can work on her.

GET the F outta there!

Took me about an hour to get the GET out and about another hour with wiring and controls..

Will be working on shaving un needed tabs and mounts off for the next couple days and then deciding between powdercoat or just paint.. Seems like most people just paint..?

Go Cougs!!!

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:26 pm 
Keep up the good work

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:24 pm 
The past week or so I've been working on the ruck after work, grinding the little tabs, tail light mount, and all that good stuff off the frame. Today I spent the afternoon finishing that up.. I think it's looking pretty good. I think monday Im going to take it in to get sand blasted and start getting ready for paint.

My dog Marley Bob stood there the whole time wondering What the hell I was doin..

Go Cougs!!!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:18 pm 
lookin awesome man!!! stoked to see it when its painted!! excited to ride with everyone soon!

The Rucks - viewtopic.php?f=95&t=62891&p=1057461#p1057461

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:12 am 
The past couple days been a bit slow as far as working on the ruck, but I've been trying to order all my parts. As well as check up on parts that havent come yet.. The ncy front end that I ordered turns out to be out of stock and backordered so I bailed on that route. I got my seat frame last week from Cor sport and ncy sent me their regular version 1 lowered frame instead of the version 2 i had wanted. Cor sport said that ncy announced they are phasing out of the version 2 and didnt have a black one to send. Luckily they said they would send me a white version 2 since Im going to paint it anyway.

Anyways, hoping to get this baby done by the end of the month! :banger: (i hope...lol)

Currently I have a complete front end on the way from Dorby - RRGS Front shocks and brakes. Also ordered some CNC levers and Grips. Dorby really seems to take care of his customers - thanks alot Dorby!!

My rear frame is currently at the metal shop getting some of the grinds smoothed out a little better than I could do, but mostly there for a sandblast.

Tonight I built myself a little work bench out of some wood left over from a job this morning. Its nothing special but it sure makes working on the ruck alot nicer not having to constantly bend over or sit on the floor.

As far as ruck work, tonight I ground out little notches in the 1 way screws holding the ignition on so I could get that ready. I ground/sanded the rough edges where the frame mold left its marks. I'm hoping to take that to a powdercoater tomorrow (if its not too expensive).

I also pulled the plastic cover off the gy6 and cut out around the intake to fit the Composimo clocking flange.
mmmm nice shiney too engine :)

Starting to get quite the stack of parts! Cant wait to start getting this shiit put together!!

Plan for tomorrow:

Finish removing burs and rough spots of front frame / headlight rack, go to powdercoater
Drop more parts off to be sand blasted / get status update of rear frame
Shave battery box / Cut holes for Kijima's

Alright that's it for tonights update..

Happy Ruckin!

Go Cougs!!!

Last edited by RuckinCoug11 on Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:49 am 
Hell Yeah! Go Cougs!

How did you take the lug nuts off? I see you switched to red lug nuts! No wonder everyone is out of stock of everything! You have it all!! lol

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:17 am 
haha ya i have quite the stack piling up! Cant wait to put em to use!!

idk lol, my buddy works for a shop and had some kit for taking off any lug nuts, he took the wheel and brought it back a half hour later switched..
Ill bring your gold ones back next time if you want em

Do you kno anything about the GY6 Racing Torque Driver? Battlescooter had it on closeout for $15 so I said what the hell and bought it with my Kijimas.. but idk if its a useful mod lol --> HERE

Go Cougs!!!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:26 am 
Alright, I havent updated this in a few days so here we go..

Ive been moving along on the project slowly but surely, still hoping to be done by the end of the month.. I originally thought I would make sure to have all the parts I needed to make the build process quick and easy lol but now I know what my buddy Luu meant when he said the longest part of the build was waiting on parts.. I keep finding little parts that I need that take for ever to get.. Oh well.. I think I'm finally getting close to everything I need.. at least to get her on the road!

SOO, plans have changed a tiny bit from my original.. I was going to paint everything, seemed like that would be easiest as far as matching everything, but when I took my parts in to get sandblasted, I was quickly talked out of paint and into powdercoating. Originally I was going to PC the main frame black, and paint everything else gunmetal. I figured it would be easier to do the main frame black than to try and match paint with powdercoating. I called Forever Powdercoating, on the phone they guessed that for what I had described it would cost about $85 to $90 plus powder. When I got in there the first guy I spoke with looked it over said it would be $100 out the door. After giving them all my info and telling them what holes needed to be plugged etc, the old man butts in that hes making it $120 instead.. This kind of pissed me off, $20 is only $20 but still, its $20!! For this reason I ended up going to Olympia Powdercoating for the rest of the parts, although I sort of feel bad because when I went back to pick up the main frame, the first guy I talked to was working and only charged me the orginal $100 :banger: thanks dude!!

When I took my parts to Olympia Powdercoating for sandblasting, I was talked into powdercoating it all. They said it was going to cost me $150 to sandblast all my parts to prep for paint, or $185 to powdercoat them and be done. Then they reffered me to WESCO Paint Supply where they could match paint. When I went back to get my parts, the owner was there. He said he didnt know what I was quoted originally but said I only owed him $100!! Only problem was that when he brought my parts, the FLP frame cover was missing :( we ended up finding it un powdercoated in their blasting room. I told him I would have more simular parts coming soon and he could wait to coat it then and he said that when I came back he would make sure all my parts were taken care of! SWEEET!

In the end I'm very happy with both the work and the customer service of both Forever Powdercoating and Olympia Powdercoating and would refer to either one.

^ sorry for the essay lol :?

anyways, on to pics!!

Front frame! Black with 60% gloss.

Sorry I couldnt help myself from starting to put stuff together before snapping a pic lol

You may have noticed my cvt cover is off, and clutch pulled out. I swapped out the long axle that the gy6 came with last night for a short axle. Super easy swap!!

Parts im currently waiting on:
RRGS front end and lever set - Dorby
Buttons - China
BTX Bomber and intake manifold - StandardFunctions
Side Steps, Frame Splitter, and Kickstand - FLP
Key Swag

Go Cougs!!!

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 am 
Looken good Sir :highfive:

MiniMotorMonster 4T
MiniMotorMonster 2T
A Day in the Desert Ride

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:55 pm 
I wish mine was as far as yours! Super nice bro! You might need to help me finish mine! I noticed your pegs are kinda dangling, I know someone out there has a post how to correct the angle of it.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:47 am 
thanks guys!!! Its so nice to see it all coming together!!

Luu idk how you get your school shit done, working on this thing is addicting!! lol

The pegs arnt bolted on yet, they were just kind of sitting there, but I can definetely see how dangling could become an issue.. Ill have to lookin into that!

Go Cougs!!!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:40 pm 
Alright, another update.. damn this shits addicting!! I should be doing so many things today with the weather so nice, but I cant stop working on her..
So I went to the hardware store last night and found black allen head bolts :o uh ohh, I think I might switch out the ones that came with the Gojin kit for these.. What do you think?

Started working on getting the wiring harness run and hooked up..

Most of the wiring harness is labelled pretty well, but theres a few random wires in places that I cant figure out..
Theres 3 wires coming out of the harness near the fuel tank area.. Pic below.. Anyone know what these are? Theres another plug that says fuel so I dont think its fuel gauge..

Little Mock up.. :banger: Battery box still needs to be painted.

Go Cougs!!!

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:04 am 
One goes to the fuel sending unit and one goes to your light I believe

2009 Honda Ruckus
2004 Yamaha 2T Zuma
2005 Honda Met II
2008 Honda Ruckus
1964 Honda Cub (Trail 55)