Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: JustRuss' Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:42 pm 
Hello, all (again). My name is Russ and I'm starting to slowly put together a modified Ruckus. I really wish I had waited to buy one until the shop had a white one in stock but I was impatient, eager to ride, and wasn't sure where I wanted to go with it. Since reading so much here, I've decided to stick with the GET and do a skinny stretch. I've learned powder coating is more durable and will hopefully turn up on the other end of the build with a white/red Ruckus that looks pretty sweet while still maintaining some sense of legality.

Like I said in the into thread, the build will be slow because I'm in the military and often on trips so when I'm home I'll tackle what I can. I have VERY limited mechanical know-how, so the extensive how-to's on this site with pictures has done a lot to help me visualize the amount of work ahead of me for whatever project.

Anyway. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing their knowledge in the past and I hope I won't bother too many people asking for their knowledge and help in the future.

Stock on the first day I got it.

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject: Re: JustRuss' Build
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:47 pm 
NCY lower seat mount

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:51 pm 

The first time I saw the screwdriver mod I knew I had to do it. I'm more into Ghostbusters than TMNT, but the Venkman figure I have is a little too finicky for a project like this with a head that can pop off, moveable arms, and a proton wand that can be removed from his hand.

So.

I found a box of mystery TMNT figures and bought a bunch to get to Donatello (my favorite), but it turns out he wouldn't work because of the staff. Oh well. Mikey looks pretty badass as a key and the plastic is solid so I don't ever worry about the figure breaking off.

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:55 pm 

This was probably the most mechanical thing I've ever done on my own. I removed all the plastic, trimmed under the gas tank (didn't spill any gas, which I'm pretty proud of) and re-assembled it with the NCY rigidity kit and pegs. I do wish the pegs were black, but I'll live. During my research today I saw how to keep them from sagging as well, so I'll fix that tonight.

I trimmed the plastic back to keep a cover on all the guts. It'll go eventually, but it can stay for now.

I also hit 100 miles in this pic.

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:03 pm 

Did I mention I've never driven a bike before buying the Ruckus? Because I hadn't. I was pretty nervous the first time driving it because it was unfamiliar, but also because everyone was making a big deal about how it's NOT a big deal. They were going on and on about how easy it is to drive and I think they were taking their experience for granted because I didn't grow up on dirt bikes or with any sort of parental figure that was into bikes.

So I put on all of my gear and start driving down my street. I come to a stop sign and turn left. I didn't lean because I didn't know you had to and thought the handlebars had more say-so than it turns out they do and the turn was too gradual. I ended up grazing a fence and falling. Fueled by adrenaline and shame, I popped right back up, picked up the bike, restarted it, and moved on down the road to a parking lot to practice turning. It was embarrassing, but the bike was pretty much okay. Minor dings, and they were mostly to the plastic. I was okay, more or less as well. It just looked like a cat went crazy scratching my shoulder.

This was all in January, though. I've gotten better at riding and attended BRC and all that. I'm told it's a developing process.

A lasting problem, though, was that the right-hand mirror was always able to be loosened easily after that. By the time I got home from a short commute, it would have already swung all the way around once. I could have loc-tite-ed (loc-tightened?) it, but I never really liked the mirrors anyway. They vibrated a lot and I know what I'm ultimately heading toward, so I ordered these sweet lane splitter bar-end mirrors. I cut the ends of the grips off, use the adapters, and put them on. No more vibration and they are super clear. They also clean the front end up a lot (and will work really well with lower bars when I get around to them!

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:07 am 
:highfive: i never had a bike before my scoot either. Now Im hooked, welcome to TR :WAN:

King Ghidorah

jcrabb13 wrote:
i'm fairly certain that's a ball sack

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:04 pm 
I know what you mean! I don't think I've ever loved anything like I love riding. When I took the BRC, I was thinking that maybe a Grom would have been better for shifting practice, but I just love the Ruck and modifying it to be completely unlike any of the bikes at my work. I was telling my wife that modifying it is so pleasing because it hasn't even resembled a chore yet because of the scale. It's not taking off body panels and putting thirty feet of wiring in for stereos or cameras or dealing with the crazy weights of certain car parts - this is something you can find pictures of people working on in their kitchen. And in the end, their modified Rucks are representations of themselves. That's just too cool.

Okay, time to solve peg sag. My kids and I had to go to Home Depot for the parts, but when I was installing one of them (the last one), the bolt head snapped off. Then the other parts of the bolts began to snap off around the nuts. So we went to Lowe's and found the same size nuts and bolts, but in steel and went back home. I chose the hex key version, so there's a bit of a curve to it and that meant that there was the tiniest bit of sag, so I put two bolts on (seen here), and saw it was just too much the other way. Took off one and I think it looks fine and feels a lot more comfortable.

Then my son said I had to drive it to see if it worked. I was putting on my gear and he was next to me putting on his helmet, gloves, and real shoes (all he ever wears are flip flops) and I drove up and down the street with him riding next to me on the sidewalk. So far, it's my fondest time on the Ruckus.

I told the kids when they turn 15 1/2 they can go to the BRC, and then they can get Rucks of their own as their first vehicle. Since they're slower, banned from certain roads, and as a bike rider you're unable to fall into that false sense of security you get in a car, I think it would be beneficial for them. Once they get comfortable, I'll take them out on a road trip so they get comfortable with navigation and different roads.

Once both kids are good to go, we can go on little trips. Weekend trips, overnighters, day rides, hell - even just riding somewhere for breakfast. I think this will be a great thing to do as a family because the most annoying part about family road trips is being in a box for hours with your family. But on your own machine with your own thoughts (or comm if you want it), knowing your route stops so you always end up together, and being with your family but not CONSTANTLY with your family seems like the winning ticket.

Unless they become too cool for their parents, but come on. What are the odds of that happening?

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:20 am 
of course they will be cooler than their parents.

Good luck on the build!

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:24 am 
We'll see. They definitely have potential. :wink:

I went for a ride yesterday and really paid attention to the handlebars and decided to just go ahead with the mod and ordered some Mojo Custom bars. It's definitely one of two mods that I'm more nervous about because of all the stories about brake lines getting bent or screws getting stripped and requiring a ton more work.

On the other hand, I really do enjoy working on it, so maybe it won't be that bad.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:00 am 

Okay, the next mod: I ordered some Password pegs and kickstand and put them on. It was another fun addition with my son. I didn't really know what to expect when it came to the feel of having my feet under me instead of in front of me with the forward pegs, but once I got used to them going there, it was a lot more comfortable. I kept the forward pegs on for a few days to see which ones I used the most and took this picture before coming home and taking the forward pegs off. They may go back on eventually, but I just want to see how this goes for a while. I definitely like the cleaner look of them off.

I also did the handlebar swap for a Mojo bar and it looks pretty cool, but I ran into some issues with buying grips that are too long and the brakes hitting the turn signals, requiring some more mods sooner rather than later. It's kind of a mess right now with a really great-looking bar and grips that don't match after I trimmed the throttle side's, brake lines that go way out, the turn signal indicator just hanging there, and the turn signals themselves being an obvious nuisance.

One interesting problem with the handlebar swap (besides the control screws - those were... frustrating) was that when it was all back together, the rear brake handle was TIGHT and the brake was engaged. I had to adjust the nut at the rear brake to loosen the tension.

But I'll change all that out soon enough. And once most of those are done (basically just cleaning up the front end and relocating the signal indicator to the BB), I plan on stretching it out and knocking out the other modification that keeps me up at night with excitement and worry. After that, the mods seem easier and more fun until the very end when it comes to taking it all apart for paint and powder coating. Not that I'm worried because I replaced the control bolts. ;-)

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:44 am 
Those control bolts really suck. Next time you have them out, if you ever have them out, replace them with some decent Hex bolts. Same thing for the bolts that hold the carb cover on, if you ever re-jet. Just chuck those stock ones, they'll strip and leave you hanging.

The strech mod is a little more involved but having a helper makes it much better, especially if you keep the stock wheels. Lowering the seat is an easy one.

If you pull the airbox, jet the carb and add an aftermarket exhaust, do those three at the same time. Each is not hard, but all those work together.

Lookin' good!

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:56 pm 

I finally finished putting the handlebars on. I'm really excited to put the stretch on so the throttle and brake cables will be right again.

Last edited by JustRuss on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 pm 

I also added Ghostbuster logos to the sides of the battery box. Eventually it will look more appropriate for the franchise, but this will work for now!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:02 pm 

A friend of mine wanted to go riding today and it was my first time riding with anyone. What a fun time! He got a huge kick out of the Ruckus (it's so cool and diminutive!), but he REALLY got a kick out of all the stares that I was getting. Some bicyclist was staring hard and started pedaling faster to try to catch up and see what was up with the Ruckus and I didn't see it, but my friend did and thought it was hilarious.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:50 pm 
put a cover over that tank, why don'tcha?

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet