Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Prime's Plaything
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:12 am 
Way back on May 30th my wife convinced me to sell my car and buy the family a minivan. Young family in the suburbs and now a Minivan... Now that we are all on the same page as were I am in my life now with a MINIVAN, I decided I needed my own ride. While at the Honda dealership buying said minivan, the salesman was talking about the Grom and that led me to the Ruckus. Right then I knew I needed one. So with my new whip I headed out the hour and half to buy a new Ruckus. By the way the Ruckus fits in the back of a Honda Odyssey if anyone is wondering.

There she was all fresh and with only 2 miles on her. Got home that night, took her out for a spin and boy howdy 38mph! I was smokin' by hipsters on longboards and that's about it. I needed to go faster to justify the purchase. I want to take her to work 4 miles away for my daily since my other option is a MINIVAN, but the roads are mostly 45 and people will just run you off the road if you don't keep up. Now I'm not looking to swap since I like the idea of the 49cc engine going 45+, so I will just need to figure it out but on a budget that my wife will live with. I have since bought way too much and have tinkered with a ton. When I GET some more time I will update further. Thanks for the read

Installed at this point
Polini Variator with 4.5g Dr. Pulley Sliders
NYC Unlimiter
Gates Belt
PWD JDM Footpegs (7 stitches later I know what people mean when they say they are sharp)
TRS Airbox Eliminator
BR Quick Exhaust
Forza Rear Shock
TrailTech Tiny Tach
BikeMaster Ministalk turn sigs
WPS Featherlight Battery

Last edited by Prime on Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Prime's Plaything
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:41 pm 
First off congrats on the Purchase!!!

Second,
Read this...
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95930

you're gonna have to tune. buy some jets, buy a test roller kit.
Trial and error and see what gives you the best results.

Not sure how much you weight but that will also factor in to top speed.

Ruck on!

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:05 pm 
Thanks for the tips. Yeah I have been reading quiet a bit over the past 6 weeks and that post has been a go to for me. I have picked up a full jet kit and rollers from 4.5g up to stock. Being a bigger dude 210lbs I have been working on finding the balance for jets and rollers to stay within the powerband. I have gps saying 48 is my top end but 43-44 is my normal flat speed and I am maxing out at 9.6k rpm which I feel is a bit too high. Still more tinkering needed...

I kept having a power issue and a lot of my time was devoted to it. My ruck would have a hard time starting, occasionally would die at stop lights of traffic is at a stand still. Also it would idle itself down until it died. I finally figured out I had a dead battery. When I bought it off the sales floor the battery was dead so the salesguy threw in a tender jr. The charger kept the problem at bay for a month but after that my ruck would idle for 15 secs and then die. Under any load it would just drain completely. So that was fun... Now this has been solved and a WPS Featherlight installed everything is a go and I am back to playing and jetting takes up most my free time on nice days.

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 pm 
:popcorn:

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:29 pm 
Day 37

I'm waiting for my drag bar, lowered stem, and tail light kit to get here over the weekend but here is a few pics as she sits now. I moved my front turn signals down onto to frame first thing and had to buy a dremel to clean up the bunny ears. I still need to finish the back of the headlight frame and paint it but that time will come. After I bought the dremel I bobbed the rear fender and it looked awesome right up until I put on the BR Quick Exhaust and then it had to go. Im wanting to do a tank cover and a footrest bar across the front, plus a cvt cover but, I gotta wait for a good sale. I'm a bit nerveous about having to deal with my throttle and brake cables after I install the lowered handlebar. I will let you all know how it goes.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:33 pm 

So can you find my ordering mistake? The locking ODI Vans Cult Grips are too awesome and I cant figure out a way to get them on. Disappointed. Well at least I have other toys to play with and a trip to the cycle shops are never a bad way to spend a Sat looking for some grips.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:04 pm 
I looks like stock controls have a "mounting" tab that inserts into the stock bar. The NCY drag bar isn't plug and play. Do I grind off the tab on the controls or punch a hole into the bars? Any help would be appreciated. I did get the rear fender eliminator installed with the small turn signals. I like the lower profile while still keeping with the rucks overall feel.

Last edited by Prime on Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:03 pm 
It's easier to grind off the tabs, than have to carefully measure and drill holes. Many of us have done it with no issues.

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:34 am 
Version2.0 wrote:
It's easier to grind off the tabs, than have to carefully measure and drill holes. Many of us have done it with no issues.

Agreed. Grind. No issues.

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:44 am 
Lol, I drilled my stainless steal dragbar (twice; after riding around some, wanted them more narrow).
Grinding is the easy way out.....

:vondutch: :wavehello
P-Dub wrote:
.......daaaayaaaaaammmm.....

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:37 am 
Thanks guys,
I ended up filing them off. My rear brake cable feels tight but I have full turning range. On a separate note I love that my daughters come out to the garage to "work" on their bikes along with me but I am now down a handle full of screws/bolts. Some day I will learn to put them away. Since I'm missing half of my batterybox screws and three for my cvt cover I just ordered some replacements from pwdjdm.com. I also have mirrors and a polini belt coming in tomorrow, I think my gates belt is a bit too short and I didn't want to shave my drive face to get the belt the rest of the way up there. Looking around it seems like the gates is the shortest and the polini is quite a bit longer. I will report back if I see some differences. I keep thinking I want to get mojo'd out but damn that seems like a lot of time/money. Between full time school, part time work, and stay at home dad mon-fri, I am running short on both time and money. I should be doing econ homework but Im surfing members rides looking for inspiration. Damn this is addicting

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:47 am 
Prime wrote:
... I love that my daughters come out to the garage to "work" on their bikes along with me but I am now down a handle full of screws/bolts.

Small price to pay for starting them out early!! :banger:

Regarding which belts with which variators, take a look at this if you haven't already:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95498

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:18 am 
Great info, I haven't seen that thread before. So it looks like my current gates/polini is the way to go. I'm not getting the belt to travel all the way up the face. Running 4.5g sliders and this gets me to 9.6k rpm. Thanks for all help.
I should have my bars on later today. I will GET pics up.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:57 am 
200 MILES or just about

As she sits now. I'm waiting on a tank cover. I guess Florida to Washington is like 2 weeks per FedEx... Painful wait.

Anyone know what size flex tube / wire loom I need for the right side? I'm guessing an inch but I would hate to buy online then be stuck with it if I'm wrong. Kinda like those ODI vans grips. Restocking fee and shipping them back was almost as much as they cost. I guess I'm stuck with those until I figure out what to do with em.

I'm still wanting to paint the frame exposed after I took off the floorboard. I'm thinking bedliner as I am by no means good with spray paint and I think it may hide my failure. :)

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:02 pm 
Put the grips on one of your kids' bikes! That way they won't go to waste.

'The Darkness'