Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Marilyn Monroe
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:39 pm 
Ruckus12x7 wrote:
Can't wait to see more pictures! Looks great man!

Thanks, still a long way to go. I probably have at least another two seasons of parts and paint to go.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:09 am 
All my parts are finally in! Got my chrome banjo bolts in from TRS, as well as, my lug nuts and bolts from MachinedMachines. I am going to have to wait till Saturday to install the parts and hopefully bleed the disc brakes. More updates to come this weekend. For now enjoy the teaser picture.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:15 pm 
Small Update:

Sorry been fighting the flu. Got out to the garage for a little bit today to do some work on Marilyn. I hooked up the front disc brake cable using the new chrome banjo bolts. I found a small hook up issue. I need to order 90 degree banjo fitting for the master cylinder connection. The 45 degree and the straight don't fit properly and bulge the cable really bad. I also got the new 60 degree washer adaptors and lugnuts from MachinedMachines installed. The 60 degree washer adaptors are amazing, I love being able to run aftermarket car lugnuts. I don't think I will keep the lugnuts though. The instructions say to only hand tighten, which I don't really feel is safe at 45 mph. I will probably get a set of aftermarket car lugnuts that I can tighten with an impact wrench. I will order the 90 degree banjo fitting and aftermarket lugs in the coming weeks, I need more funds. More updates to come.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:57 pm 
Today I had to go to Walmart to GET some replacement headlights for my CRV. While I was there I picked up some SuperTech General Purpose Lithium Grease. From what I have read online it seems lithium grease works great on things like motorcycle and ATV axles, so I figure it would work on a Ruckus axel. I also stopped by True Value and picked up some small cotter pins to secure the ends of the NCY axel. I am still recovering from the flu, so I won't be posting updates probably til next week when I am off. I found a new 90 degree banjo fitting, I will purchase it next payday. More updates to come.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:11 am 
Small update:

So yesterday was payday and I also got my yearly retention bonus this payday. So my account is sitting fat right now, after paying all the bills wife said I could spend some cash on Ruckus parts. So I ordered a Chrome 90 Degree Banjo Fitting from The Ruck Shop. Hopefully it is in by next week so I can finalize my front disc brake conversion. More updates and pictures when my part comes in.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:03 am 
Tomorrow I plan on greasing and securing the new front NCY axle. I can only say I have the most amazing wife, she let me drop a nice chunk of money to order a custom part from The Ruck Shop that I haven't seen on a Ruckus yet. I can't wait to get this part in, my original one has been broken for about a year. More updates to come.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:32 am 
Amen to wives and girlfriends that let you spend the dough on your ruck. I hear that. :highfive:

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Amen to wives and girlfriends that let you spend the dough on your ruck. I hear that. :highfive:

:highfive:

Got the cotter pins and the axle greased today. I got my two shipping notices from The Ruck Shop today, both orders are expected to be here by Wednesday. More updates when the parts arrive.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:03 pm 
Today's progress:

So both my 90 degree chrome banjo fitting and custom seat came in today from The Ruck Shop. It's a tan suede and leather seat with white diamond stitching from The Ruck Shop. I paid the extra money to GET a new seat (because mine has been broken for a while) and have the cover installed. I would recommend The Ruck Shops seat covers and service to everyone, I am very happy with the quality. I definitely didn't mind forking over the extra cash for the service, I am not good at upholstery work. Marilyn a few steps closer to the final look I am going for. Tomorrow I am going to bleed the disc brake and that's about it for parts this year. Before riding season I need to purchase and install a Trail Tech Vapor Speedometer. My speedometer is no longer functioning, its the one drawback to using a front dish wheel. Plus it will be nice to have an accurate speedometer. Enjoy the pictures more updates in the coming months.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:46 pm 
That seat is awesome nice touch man!love the hotrod look you have going!

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:49 am 
Ruckus12x7 wrote:
That seat is awesome nice touch man!love the hotrod look you have going!

Thanks, I couldn't be more pleased with the way the seat turned out. A 1955 Chevy Bel Air was the theme for the build. Glad the theme is easy to read. :banger:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:49 am 
90 degree banjo, almost a requirement.

Nice looking build. I dig the seat.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:44 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
90 degree banjo, almost a requirement.

Nice looking build. I dig the seat.

It is I tried to get away with a 45 degree banjo, but the cable got all bunched up.

Thanks again.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:06 pm 
So minor set back today. I went to bleed the front disc brake and the entire garage smelled like gas. Found a huge puddle of gas on the floor. The angle on my kickstand appears to be too aggressive and caused it to leak gas everywhere. :headbashing:

So I went down to the True Value and got rid of that small bolt on my MNNTHBX kickstand. I picked up three different sized bolts and found that an M12 1.75 x 110mm stainless steel gave me the best stance and didn't leak gas everywhere. Can't complain it was $3.40 for the one bolt, in case anyone else is having the same issue that bolt is a quick fix. I also bleed the disc brake, got to say disc brake is way better than the OEM drum brake. Definitely going to take some GETting use too, the new brake is way stiffer and stops much faster than I am used too. I am going to hit up True Value and Home Depot tomorrow to see if I can find some 5 cable quick connectors for my tail light and a stiffer rear brake spring. I found that my rear drum brake doesn't seem to work at all, I checked the pads and they are fine. I checked if the rear lever was fully compressing the drum brake, it appears the lever is only compressing half way. So hopefully a stiffer spring will help to fully compress the rear lever.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:41 am 
So I finally got around to sanding the textured inside off my NCY light weight clutch bell. It's good that I did. So the couple quick test rides I did for the disc brake wore down my clutch pads a lot. Had a little extra money so I ran out and purchase different grit sandpapers. I tried OldFart's method, but the bolt I used to secure the clutch bell wouldn't stay on for more than 30 seconds. So I did it by hands very slowly and carefully. I started with 160 grit and found that it took forever to remove the texture. So I had some 80 grit laying around that I used to make a couple quick light passes. It pulled off most of the texture. Then I hit it with 160, 400, and 600 grit. I got a nice polished result very similar to my OEM clutch bell. I took a quick drive around the neighborhood and checked my clutch pads. I didn't see any clutch pad dust, so I'm guessing I am good.

I am hoping next paycheck I can order my new speedometer. I have to order a die tap to install the speedo cable properly. I also need to purchase gear oil, rear drum brake pads, coolant, and clutch pads before riding season. I did run into a small issue when I took my test ride with the modified clutch bell. My idle RPMs stayed at 3900, normally they stay around 2200. So I tried dialing back my idle with the idle screw on the carb with no luck. I rode it around the neighborhood thinking I had some stale gas in the carb. I checked the idle spring when I got back to the house which appeared to be stuck. I was able to reset the spring and get my idle RPMs back to 2000. If I still have this issue at the beginning of riding season, I may need to order a new spring.

Sorry the picture is shitty, my phone is about 5 years old. I have a DSLR camera that I need to unpack and start using.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next