Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Lil Pinny's Build Thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 am 
Engine finished ready to go into scoot >

Scoot ready to accept engine >

Sexy, eh?

btw, I really gotta thank my wife for letting me make this much of a mess in the garage.

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:03 pm 
Garage is the designated man area. :highfive:

'The Darkness'

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:37 pm 
lilpinny wrote:

btw, I really gotta thank my wife for letting me make this much of a mess in the garage.

You got me thinking maybe I should thank mine for letting me make a similar mess in the living room. Probably won't bother but the thought is there :highfive:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:53 pm 
+10 for supportive SO's who put up with the mess and understand where the time and money goes. Maybe not totally condone it, but understand. :D

Ta-Da!

Even polished the wheels a little. Got to get her ready for the Crawl!

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:41 pm 
I found a project for after summer. I almost got rat holed on it until my buddy said, dude, just get this thing running and ride the hell out of it until winter.

But I tweaked and grinded away at a carbon fiber hugger and got it to fit with some spacers I've had from Drow for a while. I got it on to look at it:

It looks good I think!

Looks cool and all but I gotta cut a little more out of the fiber to get the exhaust mount on... also since it uses the same hole that the mount does I need to cut some off the mount to make up for the spacer that's in there to get the hugger to sit in the middle of the tire. I gotta cut/grind about the width of that hex off the mount at that bolt point in the middle. The mount would still totally function.

I would run that over to the machine shop down the road. I'm not sold on doing it or not. Dunno. I think I'll save that for later and think about it. I'll just bolt up the exhaust now. Maybe. :meh:

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:17 pm 
Trust me. On a bike or a car.... carbon never fits like a glove the first time out. It always takes some "finessing".

Looks good though. What if you just used the exhaust hanger as the spacer- would that work? I have the same fender and a starter cover that took some work to fit together, but I haven't even sourced my exhaust yet. And it's been so damn long I don't even remember how it looks, hahaha.

'The Darkness'

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm 
Version2.0 wrote:
Trust me. On a bike or a car.... carbon never fits like a glove the first time out. It always takes some "finessing".

True dat.

Version2.0 wrote:
Looks good though. What if you just used the exhaust hanger as the spacer- would that work? I have the same fender and a starter cover that took some work to fit together, but I haven't even sourced my exhaust yet. And it's been so damn long I don't even remember how it looks, hahaha.

Man, I thought how I could do this for a while now, and finally decided to try some stuff out. You're right that it's got a spacer for the starter cover. I thinks it's different depending on your wheel width. Mine's 7''

Then on the exhaust side there is another spacer between the engine and the hugger

I had to shave around the hole on the hugger to get it to fit. So I gotta make up for that spacer on the exhaust side since my exhaust mount was designed to sit right on the engine. So engine -> spacer -> hugger -> exhaust mount

So i figure if I cut the a piece out of the mount the size of the spacer plus a tiny bit for the carbon it'll work.

Anyway, that's my plan. I put the exhaust back on.

At least for a while. It'd be great if I could source just the mount in case I screw the pooch I'd have a backup.

I really, really want to get my ass out of the garage and on the road.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:01 pm 
Victory is near.

Got the bike started by hotwiring it.
Fixed starter button so I don't have to hotwire it.
Decided to swap rear brake cable.
Had to take tank cover off, so while I was at it installed TRS frame cover and Drow cup holder (mostly to try to cover up as much of the raw frame as possible. I won't powder coat that until after summer)

Mocked it up. Tomorrow:

zip the s**t out of the wiring under the BB so it won't rattle.
attach the rear portion of the brake cable to the brake cam.
bolt on the seat and cable up the rear portion of the harness to hide it as much as possible.
Claim victory (for now).

I have the gremlin bell to thank for a clean and quick first start of the engine.

edit: I also got to get around to putting the tank cap cover on too.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:50 am 
I made a little bow.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:00 pm 
Well shoot.

I took it out for a ride... maybe 20 mins or so... not going too fast... 30 maybe. No problems. On the way home I gave it a little more gas to see what it wanted to do. It really started going and the all of a sudden it really starts clacking from the engine... so I slow down and pull over. Something happened where it is now clacking, like a rattle noise coming from the engine. I suspect the head. I'm not going to dig into it now.

Maybe the valves came out of adjustment? Dunno... lotta metal hitting metal noise coming from down there. it's kinda loud. It's like a metal on metal tapping that goes at the speed of the RPM... so like at idle, now, it's taps slow. Give it gas and it starts sounding like a machine gun. Give it alot of gas and and its a constant buzz.

All those big bore parts are still breaking in, so maybe something just came out of adjustment. Any ideas I'm missing?

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm 
ok. I couldn't help myself. I went out for another look. The sound seems to be coming from either inside the varilator or from inside the flywheel somewhere. Maybe something wasn't tight enough and shook loose. I doubt it's the valves, now. That's could be a bolt slapping around or maybe the magnet on the strator doesn't have enough clearance.

I'm leaning towards something shaking loose because when I put the varilator on, i used an air torque wrench and for whatever reason when I first started it, that bolt, the one that holds the face on, that was torqued on, shook off. I was using blue loctite until then... after I switched to red. That shouldn't have shook off like that.

As long as it's not the valves... 'cause that means taking the engine off and that's a pain in the ass.

I'll throw it up on the stand and start pulling it apart to see if anything jumps out. Maybe score a stethoscope. Calling Dr. Pinny... :headbashing:

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:57 pm 
Suck. Hope it's nothing big.

'The Darkness'

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:04 pm 
Version2.0 wrote:
Suck. Hope it's nothing big.

Thanks. I rode it home at about 20mph. didn't appear to have a loss of power. The more I obsess over it the more I think something shook loose. The engine already shook like a mofo and with the big bore it only shakes more. I'm gonna redo all the bolts with some red loctite. I'm hoping i'll find something obvious like a loose bolt or something.

I'll fix it and continue feeding the obsession. I did score a stethoscope off amazon to help though.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:21 pm 
:pissed: good luck pinny!

my left nuts

FatKid87 wrote:
No one wants to see your mascape except maybe ray

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:40 pm 
Today I learned something: If you ever replace your piston -- use new, pristine piston clips to hold the piston pin in place. Don't reuse the old ones you wrestled out of there, they might not fit as well and thus to do poor job of keeping your pin in place. :headbashing:

Well, so yeah, a 5 cent piece of wire came loose and the pin started beating up against the cylinder. The cylinder is toast, it got a big groove dug into it from where the pin was dragging on it. What's left of the pin must have gone back into the engine. I pulled a bunch of big shavings out of the oil filter.

The real sh*ty thing is that when I was putting those clips in I thought to myself, these look a little bent, maybe I should get some new ones... naw they'll be fine.

No wonder is was making such a loud banging.

So, off to score a new 61mm cylinder... figure out what to do with the engine. I think the engine might be toast too. That was a big hunk of metal that went down in there.

On the bright side I can take the engine off the scoot and have it apart pretty quickly with all this constant practice at it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 312 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next