Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TR

Bathroom mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Lil Pinny's Build Thread
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:48 pm 
Just read through your whole thread. Gnarly gash dude! Been thinking of the 170 bore before I hammer out the kinks in my pilot jet since it'll all need changed again anyway. After you get those valves shimmed we need some feedback!

Edit: is your motor the "P" version or just the 157??

you tell them you had to bring your spare with you to match up the size.
gomi_

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:26 pm 
Please. I need some opinions on this.

When I got the big bore kit on the Gy6, I was getting a tapping noise coming from the head. ting ting ting ting... only at idle.

I thought it could be the valves. I checked, and I can get a .004 feeler in with slight to moderate tension and a .005 won't fit. Those appear to be right.

I checked my timing. It appears to be correct too. See below:

The lines on the cam aren't perfectly lined up, but if I were to move it one tooth up on the chain, it's really out of whack. Besides, it runs and I've ridden it around the block... not super fast or anything. I figure if the timing was bad it wouldn't run well at all.

I start looking around and I notice that the rocker arms have some side to side play. see below:

I can wiggle that rocker side to side, same with the bottom, and that could be causing the noise.

So if it is that side to side rocker, is that bad? It makes sense that the big bore would be shaking it alot more than before... so maybe that noise is ok? I'm not sure. It only makes that noise when idling.

The cam is new, so I doubt it's the bearing or anything. Not sure. Could it be just funky since I'm putting the Taida parts on a generic GY6?

Any opinions from the masters of the webernet ruckus society?

If I don't find anything, I'll put it back together and see what happens.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:33 pm 
My BB get 58v1 broke the exhaust rocker arm I got one for Christmas last year but I have not touched that motor yet. I'm going to tear it down completely some day and finally get a mojo get skinny mount too. I can still ride though on my 49. I need to chop my forks some too. It is such a never ending thing the ruckus. Really I need a harness and speedo and headlights with JDM clear stock flashers. But I work on my ruckus slow these days.

kscustom independent since 2005 not to be confused with the other guy

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TR

Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:23 am 
I know there's some internal differences between the P and regular 157 could be an issue possibly?

gomi_

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:47 am 
Thanks guys.

I wrote a guy that has a taida 54mm rocker arm assembly on his website (martin mopeds). He's got some vids on youtube and asked them about that piece. Looks slightly different, so I asked. If it could be an issue I'll fork out the $40 for that part and see what happens. If it ain't it, I'll learn to live with it. It could just be the way it is... dunno. I have nothing to compare it to.

kinda makes sense that if you put a taida cylinder and a taida head on, you might need a taida rocker arm assembly to sit on top of all that. The taida stuff is slightly different.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm 
I found out some good info today from Andrew at Drowsports and Dan at Martin Mopeds. Both those guys are awesome and kinda sorta said the same things...

My timing is off by one tooth. While when I look at it it's close and (to me at least) if I moved it one tooth it's be a little off in the other direction, the timing is off by one tooth.

The valves are both at .004. It was suggested to try .04mm - 06.mm on the intake and .06mm-.08mm on the exhaust. So maybe .05 and .07.

Then fire it up and tune it and see if the noise goes away. I'm thinking that will help since those are some big changes.

I'm going to try it tonight/tomorrow.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TR

Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:24 pm 
Curious to see how it works out

gomi_

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:37 am 
Waiting for the weekend to work on the ruck. In the meantime, homebrew Sake will be ready for when I'm done. Two gallons of deliciousness at 17%-20% ABV. Party favors for Saturday night!

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:49 am 
Now that looks good! :snorkel:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:48 pm 
I futzed my engine. I'm waiting on donor parts this week and hope to have it running next week. Note to self. sometimes it's better to just work on the ruck by yourself with no distractions. When your friends shows up something, at least for me, goes wrong.

The good and the bad about cheap chinese parts. The good, they're cheap chinese parts, the bad, they're cheap chinese parts.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:19 pm 
No! What happened?

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:33 am 
I was working and my neighbor came over and we were bullshitting while I was putting the cylinder and head on the alignment rods. I've done it a million times. This million and 1th time I forgot to put the spacer cylinder on one of the rods. Looked good, started torquing down on it. Then it didn't seem right. It cracked the rocker arm assembly and stretched on of the alignment rods out about a half inch. Rather than replace the rod and rocker arm I'm just going to use this engine as a donor for a future project. This was the first engine I ever worked on and you can tell. I'll pull the big bore parts off (those were unharmed) and put those on a new motor. I also ordered a taida rocker arm to match the big bore parts. I found some replacement rods on ebay. So at some point I'll rebuild it back to stock.

The learning experience here is that I have to fuck things up once before I figure out how to do them right. Seeing as this is the second time around on this I'll have it together in no time (hopefully this weekend). I just don't have alot of confidence in using the old rebuilt engine for anything going 70+mph.

I'll recycle the 11pole strator, the short axle, etc. I'll put the stock stuff off the new engine back on the rebuild to get it up and running.

I'll take some pics. The rod is fucked and the rocker is totally fucked. 1-800-drowsports + $350 will get me back out. Martin Mopeds has the rocker arm. Dan was telling me how the taida's are molded from better aluminum where all the chinese stuff is all recycled metal and it makes a big difference. Welp, it was the chinese stuff the bent and cracked, the taida stuff was rock solid.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 am 
You definitely learn when you fuck something up, well... most of us.

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:10 am 
....and of course the weather is helping UPS be any faster... :popcorn:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:57 pm 
Got some parts in the mail and got to work.

This might make perfect sense, but it's totally true: working on a new engine out of the box is so much easier than an engine that's been in use. It's like night and day, man.

Old stuff coming off for the big bore install:

Watching where those spacers go (that bit me last time and is why I'm here doing this now)

This timing is dead on. I think when the chain has been in use it has a little more give... dunno. This just went into place without having to fight it.

How she sits now:

So that's basically a generic GY6 long case 54mm spacing with all Taida 170cc big bore parts (cylinder, piston, head, head cover, T100 Camshaft).

Tomorrow I'll adjust the valves. Hopefully I'll be back on the road in a couple of days. My neighbor who has been helping me with all this stuff still hasn't rode it, and he's moving back to MN in a week or so. I'd like to give him a shot on it.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 34  Next