Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Lil Pinny's Build Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:26 am 
New 2016-09-05

GY6 Swap, Front End re-do -> see page 3

New--- 9-14-15

Added a pollini hi speed varilator with mixed 4gram and 5.6 wiehhts. Also put on a Kevlar belt.

Got a dynatech ignition and NGK spark plug that'll go in this week.

Hi,

I started out a with a 2015 Ruckus. My plan was to save up some dough and do a little cosmetic work to it to make it decent. Then save a little more and do some performance work. Then save a little more and work more on the cosmetic. I'm about 1/3'rd through that process. Much of this is still a learning curve for me.

First the new Ruck:

All brand new with the high seat, the light thing hanging off the back and the duck bill. Well, the back of the scooter is the first to get worked on.

Off with the seat and dig into the big box of parts:

First thing is I started installing a turtlehead light and DORF seat frame from MNNTHBX. Greg and those guys over there have some great parts and have been a great help when I've had questions. Rigging up the seat:

Put footpegs on it as well. Then put it all back together and was left with a cool seat and tail light but still had the duck bill and that little piece of metal where the previous light assembly was attached.

So off with the seat again and time to grind. This was my first time grinding metal off like that. I think I did ok but I know I'll have to go back in and grind it off some more. Hit it with a shot of gloss black spray paint.

Also removed the fender:

I ended up putting the fender back on and just cutting it off. I'm a big guy and with all my weight over the shock like that I was bottoming out alot and the wheel rubbed against the engine lines. I also hung a MNNTHBX license plate holder on it to cover up the grind marks... but the license sat so low the wheel munched the heck out of it. I'll have to get a new plate cause the old one looks bad (notice no pic of that) :D

So that's it. Off to the state inspector to get a sticker. Then off to the tax office for a new plate. I have another bag of parts that includes a new varilator, weights, belt and a CDI. I might change the ignition before the CDI. Maybe leave the CDI off for a while.

Then once my bank account allows me, it's time to extend the frame and work on the front.

Right now it rides nice and except for the little clean up I have to do with the plate it's awesome.

More to follow!

-=l

Last edited by lilpinny on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Lil Pinny's Build Thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:28 am 
Can you post pic of the fender after cutting? I'm planning on cutting mine and I'm looking for some ideas.

Gonna try to get that seat you have, I already have a lowered one but that one looks like it's even lower and slicker....pricey tho

Ruck on :banger:

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:41 am 
Ruckrida571 wrote:
Can you post pic of the fender after cutting? I'm planning on cutting mine and I'm looking for some ideas.

Gonna try to get that seat you have, I already have a lowered one but that one looks like it's even lower and slicker....pricey tho

Ruck on :banger:

Steady garage has one that is even lower and it is cheaper called the chimera. But both are good choices. I've cut mine to a few different lengths but ended up with a stock one I'll see if I can find some of my old pics

........ you're either going to be "fast" or quiet with a GET, not both

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:51 am 
Found some

Last edited by link040188 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 am 
This is the shortest I had it

This was my first cut

Lilpinny looks like a good start :highfive:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:23 pm 
Sorry I was offline for a while. The pics above kinda look like mine except better. I just whacked it knowing that it eventually would get totally removed. Tomorrow I'm extending the frame and I'll remove it. I'll post some pics of the job.

The bike has been halfway taken apart for the last two weeks waiting for my buddy to help me remove the engine. I need a helper to hold the thing. :)

But ya... from what I can tell is the seat mount can be $$ and the frame extension can be $$. For the price of the DORF (which it totally worth it, I think. Greg and those guys over there are awesome) you can get a Pollini, weights and new belt... basically doing a ton for your performance.

I really like the DORF. That was the first mod I did to the ruck. After that I was hooked on mods.

Another easy, cheap and cool mod is to relocate the front blinkers ($20). You can find slick replacement blinkers at MNNTHBX. The wires are long enough from them so they just plug and play.

-=l

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:27 pm 
link040188 wrote:
This is the shortest I had it

This was my first cut

Lilpinny looks like a good start :highfive:

Thanks!

Ron says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 pm 
The only problem with cutting the fender is that it doesn't work anymore if it is close to the tire it needs to go below the centerline of the tire otherwise it roostertails the water onto you

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:05 pm 
Attention, Attention: please do not promote the desecration of the duck bill. Any modifications, alterations, or mutilations of the duckbill will result in immediate knuckle raps.

That is all. :mrgreen:

'The Darkness'

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:22 pm 
Version2.0 wrote:
Attention, Attention: please do not promote the desecration of the duck bill. Any modifications, alterations, or mutilations of the duckbill will result in immediate knuckle raps.

That is all. :mrgreen:

Im with you ver I rock a full duck bill now. I saw the folly of my ways but the masses must take their own path.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:12 pm 
The duck has it's own sense of style. :)

I got some more pics of some work I did today.

First I installed the Killer GET Mount:

Added 9.5 inches to the length. I need to source a new brake cable and figure out how to reroute the throttle since it is just a tad too short. The rest of the hoses I have the parts for. I already removed the airbox so alot of the hoses went away.

another shot of the internals:

This is a shot of my relocated and replaced flashers. This looks much better but I still in to grind off the "bat ear" looking mount that are left. I'll save that for another day.

So here is my shot a cutting off the duck bill. I didn't do a primo job since I knew I'd be removing the whole fender shortly. Like, I'm going to remove it tonight. It was a quick and dirty cut.

But now with it extended, you can't really keep it.

A shot of my dynatek ignition mounted on the underside of the floorboard:

top:

The only thing I need to look in the manual for is these three cables my buddy (certainly not me) removed from the ignition harness and figure out where they go. :)

So after I source some cables, install the new air system, install the yosh and jet the carb with (I think) a 38/80-82 I can finally put it back together and go for a ride.

-=l

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:31 pm 
Actually... looking at those three cables. One is ground, then power, then timing. But I bypass the stock ignition with the dynatek and tap power and relocated a ground. The timing I bypass but unplugging that bullet cable and plugging the dynatek in.

So can I unplug these cables from the harness if all they are doing is providing power and ground to the stock ignition with is essentially being bypassed/not being used?

-=l

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:40 pm 
and the fender is gone:

blocked the pair with a MNNTHBX billet:

Now it's miller time.

-=l

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:39 pm 
Any idea how to preserve the speedometer when moving to more of a drag/bmx handlebar?

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:56 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Any idea how to preserve the speedometer when moving to more of a drag/bmx handlebar?

yep. Here ya go.

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=73489

viewtopic.php?f=172&t=74273

http://www.shop.theruckshop.com/TRS-HON ... RSNECK.htm

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 254 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next