Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Gretchen: Bronze, Take II.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:19 am 
Thanks for checking out my Build thread! This first post will be the most recent picture of my progress

This is Gretchen.

And Her new Sister, yet to be named.

ImageImage

Last edited by Pyrogen on Tue May 20, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 42 times in total.

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Gretchen's build.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:35 am 
That VW is kinda cool. :|

Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:43 am 
Thanks. That's Chloe. She's been feeling slightly neglected since Gretchen came around. 08 Rabbit, 90's era Corvette sawblades, Custom CNC adapters by Motorsport-Tech, Digitally managed Air Ride. No real go-fast bits. Not too interested in speed anymore.

A bit of Re-Organization to clean the thread up a bit and make Title Edits easier. First post is going to be the most recent picture of Gretchen.

This is Gretchen.

...And this is how it all began

After a long while wanting a ruckus of my very own, I finally decided to seriously check out the scooter market. In March of this year, I stumbled across this little Gem instead. This is her story.

The night I bought her. A fresh, 2009 Honda Metropolitan

The dealership sold this to me as a demo model. She had 25 miles on the clock, so not technically new, but new enough for a price tag of $999 + No assembly or setup fees. Evidently she had spent some time at the Rose Bowl- The dealership had 7 Identical "Ghost" (brown and white) and they explained that several bikes were bought by the Rose Bowl, Used in the parade and as pit bikes, then auctioned back to honda dealerships hugely discounted. They also told me to bring her back at 600 miles to keep up with her warranty and checkups. I laughed and told them the warranty would be void in less than a week.

Gretchen the first day, before any changes

And then I dug in...

Amber LED behind the gauge cluster

Leather hand grip wraps made by me

I had learned that a completely naked Metropolitan is basically the same bike as a ruckus, save for the rear frame and plastics. I started daydreaming and that's when the sickness began. Current top speed: 38

So I began Preparation for something big...
Tail light converted to LED, Air box became an intake tube and filter. Stock 72 Jets.
Current top speed: 40

After some time obsessing over stretched Met's and Fatty bikes, and trying to figure out what in the world I wanted to do, I decided to do something a bit different. I wanted something a bit easier to work with, something with more options for stretches, etc. The met's rear end had to go.

Fast forward a few weeks worth of saving parts, and BLAMO!

The Honda dealership looked at me weird when I ordered a brand new seat and rear frame for a bike that wasn't even mine. I decided to hit the ground running and waste no time with modifications to a stock seat frame, So I bought MNNTHBX's DORF frame and a 7.5 Stret-ch mount with whale tail from BATMAN. Great quality products guys!

Tail light bracket... It had to go.

After purching a ruckus CVT and a few other goodies, I was prepared. A coat of paint, a polished and painted CVT cover to match, and I was ready to get to work.

I brought all of my parts over to my buddy Ken's place and with his expertise, we knocked this sucker out in a matter of hours.
Ruck wheel and gearing woke her up.
Current top speed: 47

And then it all began to sink in. The stretch, while nice, wasn't long enough, the wheel wasn't fat enough... I wanted something more. Something big and flashy. Then, a box came in the mail.
What'd MOJO Send me?

So after a few hours of careful disassembly and re assembly, she ended up looking like this:
Blacked out the front wheel (Plasti dip. It's held up great and looks pretty nice too!) Temporary of course, eventually new lower forks, wheel, and Disk break will happen. Some day. Also did some custom pinstripe to the front of the bike. That got old quickly..
Fatty hurt the top speed. Acceleration went up a great deal. Gearing and tire size I suppose.
Current top speed: 44 at the Rev limit, all day up a hill.

I briefly considered modifying a GY6 2-stroke look alike exhaust. Not for me. Next idea.

(Current exhaust is a cut stock header with a Briggs jammed on there for fun. Ghetto. Don't worry, It's only temporary, I'm planning for something nice.)

Meanwhile, the stock shock stretched that far was horrible on my back. ENTER: a great deal on a Custom NCY.
A local buddy had an NCY with the spring powdercoated black to match his bike. When the new all-black NCY's came in, he wanted that. I just wanted something nicer than stock, and his NCY only had a hundred miles on it. Bingo. Win-Win situation. I got a deal on a custom Black springed NCY, he got an all black NCY, we're both happy. Here it is!
(don't mind the ghetto zipped Tail light, that's getting changed soon too!)

Well... Now I'm stranded without a kickstand. Asparagus can's and Pegs only hold out for so long, so I made an order with FLP.

I really enjoy how clean the CVT mounted kickstand is. Here's a picture with it installed, and the most recent (and non Cell phone) picture of gretchen, all bolted up. Threw on a brushed aluminum water bottle as the Coolant catch can. We'll see how long that lasts. I think it looks pretty cool, but it might interfere with an exhaust. Nope. No problems at all!

Recently, she started making some weird noises from the rear. I took off the clutch and spun the wheel. Sure enough, the noise was the gear box. Must be a bad bearing. I thought to myself, "Self... You've got a brand spanking new 400 mile Met transmission waiting to be hacked open.." So, I figured why not swap in some met gears for fun. Acceleration back to normal but I got a plesant surprise. by the time I hit my rev limiter, I was doing 51, flat land. Stock Met gears, Stock Variator, Stock weights, Stock clutch. Ok, this is cool.

Thursday, 8/9. Added Polini Hi-Speed variator (Chrome back) and 5.6 weights. Bike feels more linear with power delivery. Not as willing above 40, but once she's over the "Hump", I hit a top speed of 54. Overall drivability and acceleration from 0 to 30 is really nice. 30-40 is a bit sluggish, 40-50 takes a while, but I have yet to really dig into the rev limiter. The goal with my bike is average speed with the freedom of a good hill bomb. I know everyone says Hill bomb speeds are meaningless. I tune for a decent 45mph flat, and enough gearing and top end down a hill to not feel held back. Current GPS confirmed top speed is 54, but I've seen the needle pass the blue High beam bulb a few times with no GPS. Overall I'm happy. I'm letting the POLINI break in, and then I'll mess with weights to put me where I want to be.

Wednesday, 8/15. Added Ruck Cartel Overhead Exhaust. Sounds awesome, just need to tune the "Bog" away. Also went to 5.0g Dr Pulley Sliders. The bike flies like the wind- 49mph flat-landing all night long, still hill bombing in the 54 range.

9/14: Jets in and a Bowls radiator cover!

11/10: Real lug nuts, took the stripes off the front, Peskyo modded forks for a new low.

ImageImage

Last edited by Pyrogen on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:18 pm 
DEAHHHH!!!! That is an AMAzing SCooot! The way you have the back of the plastics hooked up is soo SICK! :beers: :beers: :beers:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=74168

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:46 pm 
Thanks!

ImageImage

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:38 pm 
mmmm bacon

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:53 pm 
Love it man. I really want to do a met/ruck one of these days!

Ruck build/Scooter pic thread
DIY - $48 fatty, stretch, chin bone, exhaust, slammed front forks, lowered seat:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=45778

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:58 pm 
Go for it! I love mine.

ImageImage

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm 
Nice build, I like the color of the rear frame. These met/ruck build are getting better and better.

Instagram: @gotaaay

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:25 pm 
Thanks! I need to figure out how to pull the color up front some and tie the whole bike together. Lots going on, but I'm thinking I'll get rid of brown floorboards and grips, and eventually do all black.

Any opinions on color usage and overall thoughts on how to pull it together, let me know!

ImageImage

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
Why not just throw some of that color down the center of the front of the bike? Like in the headlight valley and maybe the front fender? If that makes any sense lol.

Instagram: @gotaaay

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:32 pm 
Bike looks good. And the vette saw blades look sick. I want a set for my fg2

-Stephen

Instagram @SBREWER89

•My ruck- The Addiction viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71318&p=1235621#p1235621

•For Sale Thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74450

•Upper Class White Trash•

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:44 pm 
Thanks! Plenty of people hate on the sawblades... But to be completely honest, I've loved the looks of those wheels since I was young. Plenty of people look at me weird for having a scooter that's modified. Fug'em'all. Built for my enjoyment :)

ImageImage

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Gretchen: The birth of a Texas Metuckus.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
Woot nice metruckus! Looks good for suree

http://www.flickr.com/chrisjuliano

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Gretchen: The birth of a Texas Metuckus.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:01 am 
New pic at the top of the Thread of my new Ruck Cartel exhaust. I need to take some decent pics very soon!

ImageImage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 513 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35  Next