Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Htown Ruck turbo gy6 build
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:50 am 
I believe your right on getting a smaller turbo and the coolent. Thanks for the suggestions.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:12 pm 
updates?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:46 pm 
I think the turbo ruckus is "done", like most of us my projects are never fully finished but it's riding weather here in Houston and I'm to a point where I want to enjoy riding instead of wrenching.

The EFI kit has performed pretty much flawlessly, the ECU doesn't have a few features I wish it had, but for the price I think it's a pretty good deal. The main thing the ECU is missing is the ability to pull timing if the intake air temps get too high, which is kind of important on a turbo vehicle. Because of this i'm running the timing very conservatively. Other than that one minor gripe, the EFI kit runs better than my carb ever did. It starts EVERY time after just a split second of cranking. My carb always took a few cranks to fire, especially if it has been sitting for a while. Throttle response is crisp and the idle is smooth and stable, I never find myself sitting at a stop light wondering if it is going to flood out and die on me.

I don't know what my top speed is, but to be honest, it doesn't feel too much faster than before the turbo. The turbo spools and makes about 5psi, so I assume its faster than before the turbo, but until I get a GPS on it who knows. It does sound and look bad ass, so I'm happy :wasted:

Enough talk, here are the pictures.

Charge pipe

Boost gauge, classy zip tie mount :lol:

Turbo, rear disc and 150/60 tire :banger:

Not technically a megasquirt, but I've built a megasquirt and installed one on another car so I'm not a total poser.

Hope to see some Houston riders on the streets soon!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 pm 
pretty cool and unique set up you got there

drowsports
standardfunctions

RUCKAHOLIC!

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:17 pm 
Good to see it working!

I at one point had found a compressor map for this Turbo...I'll see if I can find it again and post it.

Edit, here it is:
Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using Tapatalk

My Build Thread

MSP6 Non-newbie
Current build: Carillo rods, Wiseco Pistons, SS Top Mount Mani, GT3076, custom intake, DP, FMIC, StandBack.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:49 pm 
msp6 tbot wrote:
Good to see it working!

I at one point had found a compressor map for this Turbo...I'll see if I can find it again and post it.

Edit, here it is:
Sent from my SHIFTAO5P using Tapatalk

I found that map a while back too, but I don't know what to make of it, there are no efficiency islands... I guess if I wind up in the middle of the green area it would be a good thing? I can tell you right now I wont, its only making about 5-6psi, so the PR is way low, under 1.5. I haven't calculated the air flow but I would assume I'll be on the left side of the graph, near or at the surge limit. One thing i'm going to try is unplugging the wastegate and using a zip tie to make sure it stays shut, I don't know if I'm only making 5psi because thats all the motor will spool up the turbo, or if the wastegate is opening.

Next big project is a 180cc big bore, high flow head and A9 cam, that should help get the turbo spooling. I have all the parts, but like I said, I'm going to ride the thing for a while :D

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:42 pm 
whats up with the screen over the exhaust? lol

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:16 am 
TT-350z wrote:
whats up with the screen over the exhaust? lol

Thats my trick stainless steel muffler, I'm going to start selling them on ebay and make millions!!!

LOL, its just a piece is window screen that holds in a little bit of stainless steel dish scrubber. It keeps the neighbors happy when I'm messing with it late at night.

Should have taken it off for the pictures.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:04 am 
looks good bro!! :)

I hope to get mine running this weekend, have some time I can get away from the wife and work on it, maybe if I get it running we can go ride.

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=60955

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:03 am 
Htown Ruck wrote:
I think the turbo ruckus is "done", like most of us my projects are never fully finished but it's riding weather here in Houston and I'm to a point where I want to enjoy riding instead of wrenching.

The EFI kit has performed pretty much flawlessly, the ECU doesn't have a few features I wish it had, but for the price I think it's a pretty good deal. The main thing the ECU is missing is the ability to pull timing if the intake air temps get too high, which is kind of important on a turbo vehicle. Because of this i'm running the timing very conservatively. Other than that one minor gripe, the EFI kit runs better than my carb ever did. It starts EVERY time after just a split second of cranking. My carb always took a few cranks to fire, especially if it has been sitting for a while. Throttle response is crisp and the idle is smooth and stable, I never find myself sitting at a stop light wondering if it is going to flood out and die on me.

I don't know what my top speed is, but to be honest, it doesn't feel too much faster than before the turbo. The turbo spools and makes about 5psi, so I assume its faster than before the turbo, but until I get a GPS on it who knows. It does sound and look bad ass, so I'm happy :wasted:

Hope to see some Houston riders on the streets soon!

To my knowledge, the only way to get a higher top speed is heavier weights or a weight reduction of the bike.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:57 pm 
[/quote]To my knowledge, the only way to get a higher top speed is heavier weights or a weight reduction of the bike.[/quote]

With the bigger (it's wider and taller) tire lowering my overall gear ratio and if the motor has the power to reach redline/rev limiter i think it will result in a higher speed. But there are so many variables with these CVT transmissions so who knows, I'll get a GPS on it next week.

I just read through your build, SICK setup!! Must be great having 250cc and you didn't have to bore and stroke a GY6 within an inch of its life to get it!

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:51 am 
Htown Ruck wrote:
With the bigger (it's wider and taller) tire lowering my overall gear ratio and if the motor has the power to reach redline/rev limiter i think it will result in a higher speed. But there are so many variables with these CVT transmissions so who knows, I'll get a GPS on it next week.

You know you're right about the larger rear wheel & how it'll effect overall gear ratio (hadn't thought about that). Just keep in mind it will increase rotational mass (because there's more tire) & may lead to more losses in the drive train (clutch, transmission gears, ect).

Htown Ruck wrote:
I just read through your build, SICK setup!! Must be great having 250cc and you didn't have to bore and stroke a GY6 within an inch of its life to get it!

Thanks for the props. 250 is great, but I'm still looking for a little more top end. I'm investigating different routes right now (turbo, big bore, weight reduction-aluminum frame braces), trying to figure the best option to pursue first.

Can't wait to see how your top speed turns out.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:36 pm 
Womp Womp Womp, max speed of only 55mph.

I don't know If I hit a rev limiter or if the motor just powered out. It was making about 7psi of boost, which is the highest I've seen but it didn't want to go any faster.

I'll have to datalog the next high speed run and see whats up.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 am 
Do you have an tach? What's your RPM at top speed? You may just need heavier weights.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 pm 
where can i find that swingarm?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next