Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Jasper's GYFatty and Cyclop50
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:42 am 

Fabbed a little carbon fiber intake bracket to replace the ghetto fence bracket I was using previously!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:06 am 
I can't see any carbon. :(

I made a nice bracket and rain shield out of carbon on my 'Darkness' bike. Check it out and Feel free to steal any ideas you see. :meh:

'The Darkness'

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:21 pm 
Nice stuff going on in here Jasper! :hihi:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:44 pm 
Version2.0 wrote:
I can't see any carbon. :(

I made a nice bracket and rain shield out of carbon on my 'Darkness' bike. Check it out and Feel free to steal any ideas you see. :meh:

Thanks, Just took a look at your bike. Love some of the ideas but LOL'd at the cutting job. How thick and what do you use to cut your carbon with?? I use my friend's CNC cutter to cut the pieces off 3MM thick carbon so they are extremely tough and cuts are exact

Great stuff nonetheless!!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:49 pm 
Yeah, no CNC for me. Just a dremel and a cutting bit and sanding bit.

Man, I thought I did a good job :oops: I'll have to look closer, lol.

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:01 am 
Ah, good man. I am not brave enough nor patient enough to go at it with my dremel. Make sure you put on a mask though! Those carbon particles gets everywhere and the last place you want it is in your lungs.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:07 am 
You sound like my girlfriend the safety nazi. Hahaha.

I'm always equipped. 8)

'The Darkness'

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:10 pm 

Update: Lightened flywheel

Having friends with access to machinery is always good. Today I got one of my two flywheels lightened down to 840g. I got this value courtesy to JCRacing as that is approximately the same amount of weight he reduces on his racing flywheel. Being in Canada, however, shipping is a killer and I was forced to find other means to lighten my own flywheel. Instead of machining the entire face like JC, however, I focused all the weight reduction furthest from the crank. As the effects of rotation mass increases the further you go from the central rotating axis (ie. the crank), my approach to weight reduction will amplify the effects of a reduced flywheel more so than any weight reduction made adjacent to the crank.

Flywheel shaved, beadblasted, and coated with rust-inhibitor, I threw the flywheel back in and purged the cooling system of bubbles. Immediately after starting the engine I knew instantly something has changed. The motor revs much smoother and with agility never had I seen before even on a good day. My idle speed went up a consistent 400RPM ( at warmup) and 300RPM warm so I had to readjust the screw on top of the carb. I took the bike out for a spin and instantly felt the immediate throttle response similar to the improvement i felt going from 7G rollers to 5G sliders. If anything the lightened FW amplified the effects of lighter roller weight and I was able to accelerate from a stop much faster. My accelerating revs are now at ~7600RPM until vmax where it goes to a safe 9200RPM at 47mph, same as before. I CAN NOT wait till I move the accelerating rev into the sweet powerband of 8500+ RPM and see how much faster it goes! But until then, I am a bit concerned about the even more clutch slipping now and also waiting for the polini variator to arrive

Top speed, however, hasn't changed much and I would dare to say it feels ever so tiny bit weaker than with the heavier flywheel. This is as expected because at Vmax, the engine is now delivering less moving mass and therefore less momentum to keep the engine spinning. However, as the top speed wasn't affected too much, if at all, compared to the significant effects it made on acceleration, I would say this mod is definitely worth it for the heavier guys (180lb+) like me. I am more focused on maximizing acceleration from 0-43mph and maintaining that top speed everywhere I go. I think that is really all I can ask out of a 50cc with stock carb doing 100mpg. Anything extra is really just icing on the cake

All-in-all, I would definitely approve this mod to complement lighter roller weights for better acceleration. If you are looking for more top speed, I would suggest putting your money elsewhere such as met gears.

Last edited by Jasper on Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:27 pm 
Oh and reporting back again on the 5G weights:
In my opinion, the common rule-of-thumb that heavier weights will make you rev lower at the same max speed is not ALWAYS true, as seen with my setup.

With my stock variator and 5G slider weights I am now achieving Vmax of 46.8mph at a consistent 9100RPM. Previously with stock 7G roller I achieved a Vmax of 45mph at almost ~9800RPM.

Therefore I think an exception to that the rule-of-thumb may be used. That is, as long as your engine has the power to spin the weights If the weights are too heavy for your particular engine/particular HP, you might end up reving the shit out of your engine like I did to achieve the same speed and also have poorer acceleration than lighter weights. It is therefore why Honda went with lighter 6G weights in the 06+ rucks

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:40 pm 
https://youtu.be/TBEwNTXL08c

Last edited by Jasper on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:09 pm 
How come I can't embed youtube clips on this forum?

Apart from that, I gotta say today is a damn good day. First the lightened flywheel and now look at what arrived after work.

Thanks a bunch to SCOOTERSWAPSHOP. I still don't know how he does it but his prices are simply unbeatable and unbelievable. Check out his site here for the best prices on Polini parts straight from Italy: http://www.scooterswapshop.com/store/

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Post subject: Re: GET joins the 51mph club today! (Also GY180cc PG12)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:36 am 
On a long stretch of road, I finally joined the 50/50 Club.

The polini variator is AWESOME. It narrowed my accel RPM AND lowered the Vmax RPM. This gives me a lot more room to tune than the stock variator.

Unfortunately, it is geared somewhat higher and therefore decreased the good acceleration I had with the stock variator. 5G slider weights are way too heavy for my set up now as my accel RPM is sitting at about 6800~6900 (note the extremely narrow band compared to stock). I am going to try 4.5G weight as recommended by JamesDean and see how that goes as I really hope to move the powerband up to the 8800-9200RPM range while accelerating, even at the sacrifice of a little top speed.

Stay tuned for a full review of the polini variator!

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:46 am 
Congrats!!
I'm jealous of the 50/50 club. I'm hoping to get close this summer....
Read the last few pages. I'll have to check out the rest when I have more time.
I agree the lightened fly wheel made a huge difference to the driveability of my Ruck.

Where in Canada are you?

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=89000

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:25 am 
EDM. There are so many hills in Calgary it would be a b*tch to achieve any top speed runs!

I wish I could benchmark JC's flywheel with mine because it's hard to calculate the effects of rotational mass depending on how far out you cut the FW on the lathe. With the new polini variator (and taller gearing) however, I want to lighten my other flywheel as well now. This time I'll aim for sub ~800G. Again with the majority of the weight reduction done on the perimeter. I am hoping that way I won't have to sacrifice AS MUCH Vmax by going with lower variator weights but still have good acceleration.

8800RPM here i come!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Post subject: Re: GET joins the 51mph club today! (GY180cc on PG12)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:24 am 
Unboxing and installing the Polini Variator

https://youtu.be/Y8R2raZairU

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next