Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Farang7's Not actual build thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:31 pm 
I've been slamming the Noob thread with questions, so I decided to move them here and hopefully people can still help out.

The short of it: 09 Ruck. Left outside for 2 years then 2 years in a storage unit. Locked up stock motor. Stock MET motor thrown in w/ purchase. I plan on painting the frame and swapping the motors. Then getting her running

The old girl as she sat when I wheeled her in. Looks better in the pics:

After a lot of great help on the Noob thread. I pulled the locked up motor today. Took the cvt/swing arm off and cleaned her up. Then swapped it onto the MET motor.

Few things I noticed:
- Rollers in the ruckus variator have flats spots. Ones in the MET do not.

- Brake assembly on which the rear wheel mounts (on the ruckus) looks exactly like the one on the MET swingarm but with a section hacked off for clearance. Is this a mod?

- Pulled the exhaust off of the locked motor and there was what looked to be a mix of water and junk in the motor. Exhaust sounds full of liquid when I shake it but only a few drops comes out at a time when I shake. Trying to drain it by standing it upside down.

The rest are just pics of the process:

Ruckus CVT/Swingarm on the MET motor

Last edited by Farang7 on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Farang7's Not actual build thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm 
Typical muffler is chambered so tipping it up & down several times from header to exhaust exit may or may
not get more of it out. Otherwise, it will need something hot & windy to blow it out/dry it up. Was this thing
in a flood or tossed into a lake or river? If that happened then I would wonder about electronics... Though
from the pics it doesn't seem to have evidence of immersion. Odd that there is liquid in the muffler... Not
sure how it might happen, but would you suspect the liquid in the muffler is coolant?
Only thing I can think of is leaking head gasket while exhaust valve is open and some coolant is draining and
or being forced into the exhaust and some being forced or just draining through oil galleys into the crankcase

Did the prior owner say why or how the engine became "locked up"?
I wonder if you take out the spark plug could you turn the crank.

Do you think the Ruck engine might be salvageable or repairable?

Yeah dude, that IS a car tire there on the back of my scooter
Sometimes I'm so far outside of the box, the Hubble telescope can't find me

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:51 pm 
bandito2 wrote:
Typical muffler is chambered so tipping it up & down several times from header to exhaust exit may or may
not get more of it out. Otherwise, it will need something hot & windy to blow it out/dry it up. Was this thing
in a flood or tossed into a lake or river? If that happened then I would wonder about electronics... Though
from the pics it doesn't seem to have evidence of immersion. Odd that there is liquid in the muffler... Not
sure how it might happen, but would you suspect the liquid in the muffler is coolant?
Only thing I can think of is leaking head gasket while exhaust valve is open and some coolant is draining and
or being forced into the exhaust and some being forced or just draining through oil galleys into the crankcase

Did the prior owner say why or how the engine became "locked up"?
I wonder if you take out the spark plug could you turn the crank.

Do you think the Ruck engine might be salvageable or repairable?

I don't think it was fully submerged (but possibly flood) because some of the electronics do work. I can hear the starter getting power and I can hear the fuel pump wine, and my horn works, but I do not have any headlights, even though I switched out bulbs. I'm wondering how I will diagnose that.

I do think it might have sucked in water somehow. Its pretty rusty underneath. I don't think the liquid is coolant, though it could be. It is very very dark like oil.

He bought it from a guy who had it outside and sold it to me under the pretense that the kickstart mechanism needed to be repaired. Luckily I haggled to get the motor included in the deal because it is definitely not the kick start assembly. I can turn the MET motor over by hand with the plug in. The stock motor doesn't even turn when you have your full body weight on the kick start.

Salvageable might be a stretch considering that crud in the motor, but I've heard these rebuild pretty easily. It would be a cool learning experience if it can be done on the cheap.

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:21 pm 
The headlights don't come on with just the switch, the motor has to be running. One less thing to worry about, maybe? :highfive:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:13 pm 
oldfart55 wrote:
The headlights don't come on with just the switch, the motor has to be running. One less thing to worry about, maybe? :highfive:

Ok that's great to hear! I'm banking on that!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:25 pm 
Getting back to the frame itself, I detached the headlight bracket and the rear frame and seat frames and are getting them sand blasted, in hopes of just priming and spraying them a satin type.

The hardware on the handlebars was so tight that I was about to strip the screws. So I was not able to remove them. My plan is to just scuff them up as much as possible and paint them.

While messing with them, I believe I detached the brake switch that's on the left of lever and I've been having a hard time getting it back in as it seems like it's spring loaded or something . It is different from a motorcycle brake switch, so I'm having a hard time with it. Any suggestion? I will update later with pictures

Also when removing the engine, I didn't pay too much attention to the lines that run from the engine to the airbox really. So I'll be asking for help on those in the future haha

Thanks again Gents

Last edited by Farang7 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:36 pm 
Farang7 wrote:
Also when removing the engine, I didn't pay too much attention to the lines that run from the engine to the airbox record.

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=10043

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:15 pm 
Sorry for the wait. This thread is not dead ha. I had my first experience dealing with "body & paint" guys over promising and under delivering. Took longer than expected but here are the parts, They sandblasted to metal, used a Zinc-Cromate primer, then 2 coats of flat. Not perfect but it was cheap...ish and wont rust:

Going to cut the bunny ears off and can spray

Shes looking alright, Got a used lower seat that's flaking gloss black. Going to scuff it down and flat it when I get a chance

The P.O. sprayed ALL the plastic with bedliner :pissed: , the shit just holds onto dirt like no other. I absolutely hate it, but blasting it off with the pressure washer is taking too long. Going to scrub/clean it good & touch it up with more bedliner

Wish I would have gotten it back soon, having a hard time remembering during reassembly but I'm getting there

Was doing fluids while it engine is out. Drained the rear gear oil, flipped it over and started filling. Calls for 100ml but I'm a dummy and thought I'd fill it to the top. That would probably take way too much so I'm going to drain it, measure 100ml, then flip it over and fill :headbashing: :pissed: ... :|

Should have the motor hanging out in the frame come tomorrow night. Ill be sure to take pics.

QUESTION!
Does anyone know an easy and efficeint way to remove bedliner that wont damage the plastic underneath? :help:

Thanks for viewing!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:58 pm 
So I got the motor all bolted in and wired up. Had a bit of confusion but I used the post OldFart recommended and everything went decently fine.

Compared the MET and the Ruck variators and the MET had OEM weights, and an overall larger variator and cover

I decided to use the ruckus variator, weights and clutch. After examining them, I realized they're aftermarket weights, Green solid, Purple hollow. No weight markings though

Tied up all the loose ends and tried to start and this is what I got, the change in pitch is when hes trying to use the throttle:

https://youtu.be/Hd8CDV7K25c

Whole lot of NOTHING!!! :headbashing: :pissed: :headbashing:

Its getting fuel to the carb I know that because I pulled the line and the fuel pump it working. At least this motor seems like it is in good shape.

Any ideas or suggestions? Pilot jet?

Help appreciated :|

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:26 pm 

Ground wire?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:08 pm 
The ground wire is definitely intact, and I already replaced the spark plug with a new one BUT I should definitely check.

How does this go again? Hold close to bare metal and it's suppose to close the gap? I know there is a tool to test but don't believe I have that

Thanks for the help!

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:55 pm 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:24 pm 
When you noticed the exhaust port full of crap, did you pull the head? It sounds like it's not getting good compression. Double check your timing chain/marks. Wiggle the drive face by hand a bit, does it make any noise?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:16 pm 
wazzu_coug wrote:
When you noticed the exhaust port full of crap, did you pull the head? It sounds like it's not getting good compression. Double check your timing chain/marks. Wiggle the drive face by hand a bit, does it make any noise?

The motor with the exhaust port full of junk was the original locked one, it doesn't turn over at all.
I swapped it for the MET motor that was included in the sale, and thats the one I'm trying to get to start.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:25 am 
You mentioned the brake switches, you reconnected those, right? That can make it not start. Checked valve clearances? Does the variation make a rattling noise when you twist it back and forth (on the bike)?