Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: joel's Super Stretch, first GY6 swap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:14 pm 
Been working on my first gy6 swap project. Wanted to do it on the cheap as I wasn't sure if I was ready to tackle the project or not. Picked up a donor scooter last summer that was pretty rough. Purchased a front frame off of ebay and got to work. Pieced the whole thing together, one part at a time. It's still a work in progress but I'm liking how things are going and enjoy messing with it when I have time. Over time I'll probably swap out the cheaper bit (rims, controls, etc) with nicer versions but it was a bit of an experiment.

I'm 6'4" and the original ruck was a little tight for me so I wanted something a bit more comfortable with some more leg room and arm stretch. Went with extra 4" blocks between front and rear frames and 12" hangers in the front.

Here's some pics of where it is currently. I'll update with some of the pics I have from the full build asap as well as post continuing progress on this project.

mixed up the headlights a bit:

koso gauge, installed last week:

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Last edited by joel1234567 on Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: joel's Super Stretch, first GY6 swap
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:34 pm 
:banger:
I like the direction you are going with it. Looking forward to the progress man. Keep it going.

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:42 pm 
Quote:
like the direction you are going with it. Looking forward to the progress man. Keep it going.

Thanks! Appreciate the feedback.

Last night I installed a carbon fiber chinbone. Had it custom made for the extra stretch by Colin, added 4" to it. Might've gotten one of the last ones he made :D Also put some new mirrors on.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:00 pm 
DEVHOUR3D wrote:
:banger:
I like the direction you are going with it. Looking forward to the progress man. Keep it going.

X2 :banger: fun times! :popcorn:

my left nuts

FatKid87 wrote:
No one wants to see your mascape except maybe ray

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:31 pm 
I can see any pics. :pissed:

'The Darkness'

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:05 am 
Quote:
I can see any pics.

I think I fixed the pics last night. Are they still not working? :pissed: :headbashing: :oops:

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:14 am 
I see them

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:47 am 
am i the only one concerned about the head angle? shouldnt the jead be more level to the ground?

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:00 am 
Quote:
am i the only one concerned about the head angle? shouldnt the jead be more level to the ground?

hmm, I agree the engine is angled up quite a bit but I'm not sure that I could adjust that unless I lowered the shock. It's pumped up to max, but the engine sits level when I'm on it and it's already just barely keeping from scraping with me sitting on it. The pics I see of everyone else's have the engine mostly horizontal with no rider but I haven't figured out how I could do that without scraping the pavement with rider.

Originally I started towards setting it up for dual shocks so I wouldn't get as much give when I was on it but then I broke off the shock mount on the "normal" side (at the rear of the swingarm near the wheel) so currently it's just got a shock on the other side. At some point I'll replace the busted shock mount and continue toward dual shock but it's going to take a decent amount of time to tear all that off the engine and replace it.

Curious what others think about the head level.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:43 pm 
i would try and level it.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:25 am 
The engine level is fine. If you look at most gy6 scooters, they are slightly tilted up, so when you sit on it, the engine levels out.
You're good. :highfive:

Ruck build/Scooter pic thread
DIY - $48 fatty, stretch, chin bone, exhaust, slammed front forks, lowered seat:
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=45778

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:39 pm 
I wanted to post up some photos that I've been storing up of the build from the beginning, and lessons learned, etc. Some of the lessons I've probably forgotten, but some things stand out. I've been working on this on and off probably for about a year. Just got it rideable a couple weeks ago.

It all started with a front frame I picked up off of ebay:

Had a valid VIN and no title but title isn't needed on anything under 300cc's in VT so I snagged it.

Picked up a used Roketa scooter with about 900 miles on it. The guy I got it from bought it at a garage sale and it wasn't running. He did a bunch of work to it to get it running but it ran pretty rough. He got it for his daughter but she didn't want it so I got a pretty good deal and it came with one of those Chiltons(??) guide books for Chinese scooters which had lots of useful info in it. Here it is with all the plastics pulled off, and all of the connections marked with tape:

I had no idea what most of the bits were so every single connection got marked with tape to indicate how it all went together. Lots and lots of masking tape was sacrificed along the way. I learned a lot of what the different parts were messing with things. When I started I probably couldn't have pointed out what part was the CDI and what part was the starter solenoid :) I'm pretty handy but starting off did not know a lot about scooters in particular and how everything fits together but I have learned a lot along the way.

Finally I got the wiring harness removed and thoroughly taped:

It initially came with an alarm system which presented some minor additional challenges in needing to jumper wires after the alarm was removed but I managed to overcome that and get things working without the alarm.

The vacuum hoses on it were running to all sorts of crap and valves and gas recirculation and weird crap. There were 3 vacuum nipples on the carb for all the stupid hookups. Eventually I looked up some vacuum diagrams online and realized much of it really wasn't needed. I drastically simplified things and threw out most of it and just ran a simple line for the carb and the gas tank and it ran much better.

Here is a picture of the engine off of the Roketa frame and with everything hooked back up (thanks to the tape!) to test that it would still run after I had removed it. You can sort of see the mess of vacuum lines running all over the place at the front of it:

It was kind of cool to hook up the removed engine to that heap of wires and get it fired up and running after removing it from the donor scooter :)

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:54 pm 
My goal here was to do this on the cheap which meant reuse every last bit I could from the donor, which meant going with a skinny setup so that I could reuse the tires and exhaust. Got a ATR skinny mount and mounted up the GY6 to a rear frame that I got new from Bike Bandit. I got most all of my new parts from Bike Bandit. They can take a long time to ship sometimes but they have just about everything I've needed and the prices are usually a good or better than I can find in places like ebay. Anyway, engine all mounted up;

Then with the front frame bolted on:

With those two pieces bolted together it was pretty exciting because it actually kind of started looking like something that resembled a Ruckus instead of just a pile of parts sitting on the floor. But it was also at this time that I realized what people were referring to with the "forward facing" carb. I remembered reading here and there about forward facing carbs but it never really sunk in. I thought it was just some aesthetic choice. But, once you get this thing mounted up (for me anyway) the carb no longer fits in it's rearward facing position. You can point it forward and it sort of fits but it's also angled off to the side and at a weird angle. So then back to TR and Google to figure out WTF to do next and order MORE parts and wait another week for shipping... Had to get an angled clocking flange which allows you to face the carb forward, turns it away from the left to center it, and also adds some angle to how it sits so that it's fairly flat.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:53 pm 
Then I had to hook up the gas pump. I wasnt sure if this was a pump or a petcock:

From what I read usually a petcock is between the engine and gas tank when the engine is below the gas tank and a pump is when the tank is below the engine. My donor gas tank was above the engine so I though maybe this was a petcock but I hooked it up anyway and it's worked fine so I guess it's a pump. Been running it without any issues.

I got a triple tree from Bike Bandit and did a quick hookup of everything again, including the donor gas tank, and used the handlebars off my other Ruckus that I had replaced and did a test to make sure everything still worked-

At that point the battery was still sitting on the floor. I got the mount for the battery and hooked it up and ran a power line up to the battery and then back to the starter solenoid which at that point was still in the rear of the harness-

At this point it was just barely rideable but I had to take it for a short drive up the street. Front brake was hooked up and enough wiring was done just to take a quick spin. Unfortunately, my shock cracked the shock mount on the engine case-

You can see where on the top of the picture (on the right side o the shock) there is a little nub of the shock that sticks out where the bolt goes thru. When the shock pressed down that side pressed up against the part of the engine case pointing up (I think where a drum brake cable would mount?) and it snapped the mount. Had to move the shock to the other side where there was still a lower mount on the swingarm. Had to do a little cutting and drilling to make the shock mount fit on the right side.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:01 pm 
Then I got started on the wiring. This was probably the most tedious part of everything. I didn't want the wires running up in plain sight like my GET Ruckus so everything got routed up the front of the frame and under the gas tank. Had to wire in a relay for the switch and all that which took a bunch of time with the continuity meter. In retrospect I probably shouldve just bought a swap harness and if/when I do this again that's what I'll do, but again I wanted to do this as cheaply as possible and learn as much as I could along the way.

Had to cut all the tape and crap off the old harness and get down to the wire-

then cut out and relocate all the bits that needed to be hidden in the battery box like CDI, starter solenoid, etc-

This was after most everything was relocated and somewhat tidied up. Didn't have an ignition yet to connect to the relay so I just had a red wire hanging down with a connector that I had to connect in place of a switch-

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3