Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: joel's Super Stretch, first GY6 swap
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:06 pm 
Then I started trying to figure out how I wanted the scoot to look. Tried out a few looks.

"The usual":

Tried out the cafe racer thing, had also mounted some straight bars (not in the photo), but with the bars so low it was too uncomfortable:

Finally decided on maximal comfort and something a little different than the usual:

which is kind of what I had in mind since the beginning. I was also hoping to do a springer-style seat and front end and haven't given up on making that happen yet but that's still a ways out and who knows if I'll ever get there or not.. Need to buy a welder to make some of my ideas happen.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:10 pm 
And that more or less brings me up to the photos that I posted at the beginning. A lot of time is just spent waiting around for parts to arrive but that gives a lot of time to do research and plan things out.

It's not super flashy yet but it's been a lot of fun so far and I'm looking forward now that it's functional to really working on the aesthetics as time and the wallet allows.

I've also got another font frame and custom welded 1-peice rear frame that I've been sitting on for a while and already planning for the next build. I'm thinking metruck...

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:19 pm 
I've got this vibration/rattle from around the gas tank area that's driving me mad. I've taken everything apart in the tank area about 10 times, put it all back together. Put rubber pads between gas tank and frame, replaced those with felt pads, no change. Put rubber weather stripping at the front of the gas tank where it slides slightly under the front frame, thinking it was vibrating there. Put felt pads on the top of the gas tank between the tank and the gas tank cover. Put pads between the plastic piece that sits under the tank and the frame. Cannot isolate where the damn rattle is. Rattles around 2500 rpm and again around 4k. I've got a similar rattle on my GET Ruck but it's not quite as severe. I could never isolate it on that either but I can live with that one. The GY6 rattles like a mofo. ARGG!!! Maybe I just need a louder muffler?

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:45 pm 
I've given up on isolating the vibration for now. I think I'm just going to have to take everything off and then just install gas tank, then gas tank + tank cover, then gas tank + cover + tank brace, until I can determine what's up.

Tried to get an inspection but they wouldn't pass it because I didn't have a front fender. I had the front fender from my GET Ruck still hanging around but I hated it and I dremel'd it off of there cuz I was lazy and never planned on using it again. Cut it right down the middle pretty roughly so it was all tore up. Been researching other options but it's hard to tell what will fit, nothing has dimensions. Ended up cleaning up the rear half of my old cut up fender and fitting that backwards. Looks ok for now and gets me through inspection (hopefully) until I can find a replacement.

Ideally I'd like to float the fender on the lower shocks and keep it tight to the wheel (if I HAVE to run a fender) but I'll try and do that with whatever upgrade I can find.

Also found a triangular plastic ghetto-chrome piece off the donor scoot that works double duty to hide a union in the rear brake line as well as cover up some weird tabs that were on the right-side swingarm:

Also played around a bit with options for mounting the original rear ruckus fender. I kind of like the look of it on this scoot and I might see if I can adapt it for the gy6. Don't think it will be too bad.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:52 am 
I like that front fender idea. I have to figure something out as i cannot use the spree fender on a Ruck front. Was thinking of flipping and floating like ive sen others do.

Are those the "ace hardware" type of angle clips you are using? If they are, they are brittle and may break with the GY6 vibrations. I used them as a temporary plate holder on my GET while i was waiting on shipping.... and of course it snapped in half just from regular riding on smooth roads. So unless you made them, i'd stay away from the ace ones :highfive:

:popcorn:

87' Spree: Victoria's Spreecret

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:52 pm 
Quote:
I like that front fender idea. I have to figure something out as i cannot use the spree fender on a Ruck front. Was thinking of flipping and floating like ive sen others do.

Are those the "ace hardware" type of angle clips you are using? If they are, they are brittle and may break with the GY6 vibrations. I used them as a temporary plate holder on my GET while i was waiting on shipping.... and of course it snapped in half just from regular riding on smooth roads. So unless you made them, i'd stay away from the ace ones :highfive:

Oooh, thanks for the tip. They aren't so much "ace hardware" type as they are probably "lowes" quality but I imagine there's not much difference there. I planned to just remove the fender once I got it inspected but I've kind of gotten used to it and have been looking for a replacement without much luck. Ordered some "handsome boy part" fender from scrappydog but they said they were out of stock. Ordered some pocket bike front fender from partsforscooters for like $10 with an order of some other stuff but it was for like a 6" tiny wheel.

Also glad you mentioned not to use those brackets for a temporary plate holder because I was planning to do EXACTLY that :) You possibly saved me a trip to the DMV for which I owe you many thanks!!!

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:57 pm 
After I got the front fender on I took it to get it inspected and had a blown bulb in the taillight and blown rear signal. They were brand new lights. Replaced those and went to get it inspected again and the other rear signal was blown.

A couple months back I bought some nice mirrors with built-in LED's but the LED's blew on them shortly after hookup. I figured it was just a crappy product. I fear I may have a bad rectifier/regulator.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:15 am 
Really like the look of this bike, it's probably my favorite project on here. I was so close to buying that seat frame along with some other stuff but chickened out last minute. Still want to get one at some point. I'm watching :mrgreen:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 pm 
Quote:
Really like the look of this bike, it's probably my favorite project on here. I was so close to buying that seat frame along with some other stuff but chickened out last minute. Still want to get one at some point. I'm watching :mrgreen:

whoa, thanks man, I appreciate it. There's so many killer scoots on here that blow my mind, it's a bit initimdating sometimes to post up what's going on here.

I've been focusing more on comfort than aesthetics with this scooter. It is SOOO damn comfortable to ride, compared to my GET. I'm 6'4 and 230lbs and this thing fits me like a glove. In retrospect I almost wonder if I should've gone with the 18" rise handlebars instead of 12". Also been thinking of blacking-out the seat frame. Not sold yet on the chrome.

I've been focusing a lot lately on what I need to do for upgraded rims. I'd love to so some spoked rims, can't find anything that might work. Found some NC50 scooter rims on ebay and some 10" and 12" dirtbike rims that I thought maybe I could swap and mount but I really have no idea what I'm doing with that. I'd love to get some custom $600 rims but that's not in the cards anytime soon and would probably look a little ridiculous along with my stock GY6 controls :). I'll probably end up going with 10" solid-dish douglas, 4" width front with 130/90-10 and mini-fatty 5" in the rear with 140/90-10. Still trying to figure out if I can use some 4/110 aftermarket hub and keep my long axle and right swingarm so I can put shocks on both sides of the rear tire.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:01 pm 
Still been wanting to do the dual shock thing but the busted shock mount on the case has been putting a damper on things. Looks like somewhere around $80ish+ for a replacement, plus gaskets and seals and fluids and time... Found a used longcase buried in a heap at the local scooter shop. They didn't know too much about it but sold me the whole thing for $50. Hoping with some luck I might get it running, but without luck I can at least steal the left side case plus some other bits off of it and save a few bucks anyway.

Looks like it's been sitting a good long while with a nice crust built up on it. Verified that starter still cranks but thats about it...

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:45 pm 
Decided not to swap in that spare engine, I'll use it for something else and it needs some work. Swapped the engine from my off-roader project.

The new engine has all it's shock mount tabs in tact, and also has brake drums installed already. The old engine has a busted shock mount on the swingarm and uses a weird disc brake setup. With the new engine I'll be closer to doing what I want with the dual-shock setup and also able to swap in a different rear rim and hub that is drum-brake-ready.

On the old engine plastics I did a hack job and the opening for the clocking flange on the intake was trimmed way too much and there was a lot of space around it. I took my time on some replacement plastics and made a perfectly sized opening, and also replaced the old stock intake with a slightly upgrade metal version.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:12 am 
I also noticed the 10mm bolt that mounts the engine to my ATR mount was bent. Took a pic but it didn't upload properly. Not terribly bent, but noticeable. Something to keep an eye on...

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3