I wanted to post up some photos that I've been storing up of the build from the beginning, and lessons learned, etc. Some of the lessons I've probably forgotten, but some things stand out. I've been working on this on and off probably for about a year. Just got it rideable a couple weeks ago.
It all started with a front frame I picked up off of ebay:
Had a valid VIN and no title but title isn't needed on anything under 300cc's in VT so I snagged it.
Picked up a used Roketa scooter with about 900 miles on it. The guy I got it from bought it at a garage sale and it wasn't running. He did a bunch of work to it to get it running but it ran pretty rough. He got it for his daughter but she didn't want it so I got a pretty good deal and it came with one of those Chiltons(??) guide books for Chinese scooters which had lots of useful info in it. Here it is with all the plastics pulled off, and all of the connections marked with tape:
I had no idea what most of the bits were so every single connection got marked with tape to indicate how it all went together. Lots and lots of masking tape was sacrificed along the way. I learned a lot of what the different parts were messing with things. When I started I probably couldn't have pointed out what part was the CDI and what part was the starter solenoid
I'm pretty handy but starting off did not know a lot about scooters in particular and how everything fits together but I have learned a lot along the way.
Finally I got the wiring harness removed and thoroughly taped:
It initially came with an alarm system which presented some minor additional challenges in needing to jumper wires after the alarm was removed but I managed to overcome that and get things working without the alarm.
The vacuum hoses on it were running to all sorts of crap and valves and gas recirculation and weird crap. There were 3 vacuum nipples on the carb for all the stupid hookups. Eventually I looked up some vacuum diagrams online and realized much of it really wasn't needed. I drastically simplified things and threw out most of it and just ran a simple line for the carb and the gas tank and it ran much better.
Here is a picture of the engine off of the Roketa frame and with everything hooked back up (thanks to the tape!) to test that it would still run after I had removed it. You can sort of see the mess of vacuum lines running all over the place at the front of it:
It was kind of cool to hook up the removed engine to that heap of wires and get it fired up and running after removing it from the donor scooter