Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: joel's Red Roockus
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:01 pm 
Been lurking around here for a few years. Figure it's probably time to get some sort of build thread going. Not too much to report for my first build, don't have too much for before and after pics, just some recent stuff.

My first Ruckus was actually a birthday gift for my wife, who's nickname is Rootie (or Roo). I named it the Roockus. She rode it maybe twice and decided it wasn't for her. It sat in my shed for two years while I was working a 40 hr a week job and also starting an aquarium shop, working about 14 hours a day, 7 days a week for a couple years. Finally sold the shop and had a lot of time on my hands and knew I needed to dust off the Roockus. At this point, of course, it would no longer run. Not even idle. That was last summer (2015).

Cleaned the carb and replaced the jets. Replaced the stock floorboard with a rack and some footpegs and the rest is history. HAD to do a fatty updgrade... unfortunately I didn't realize after the upgrade that the muffler would no longer fit, stock airbox no longer fit... so then I had to change out the airbox with a can filter and replace the muffler, then a rejet, and on it goes.

Here's a few pics as it stands now. Don't have too much left to do but I have a mix of rollers in now and have some sliders I've been meaning to try out. At some point will also probably shave the rear and put in an LED taillight and replace the stock blinkers. And shorten the intake based on some recommendations from fasterthanme, who also mounted a new tire that I've got to put on there. Want to go with the 10" tire instead of that 12"er.

took of the front half for painting:

some semi-recent pics:

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: joel's Red Roockus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:55 am 
what jetting and speeds?

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:09 am 
Quote:
what jetting and speeds?

I went up one size on slow jet and one size on main. Tried going up two sizes on main and went back and forth a bit but seemed to run just a little bit better with the smaller size. Upgraded to Pollini variator and daytona belt. Played around some with different rollers. About every .5 grams I took off my acceleration increased but lost 1mph off the top. Weight is 230. Settled on a mix of 6 and 7 gram rollers. Speed on the flats is 42. With all 7g rollers its 43mph, with all 6's it's 41mph. At my last job it had a nice gated road and freshly paved flat surface a little less than a mile from my home. I could tweak then ride over and test things out pretty consistently without dealing with traffic or other interruptions.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:31 am 
Does the Wife want it back now? LOL :popcorn:

Where you located? Depending on how far you are I have a 10" we could probably trade :highfive:

87' Spree: Victoria's Spreecret

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:38 am 
Quote:
Does the Wife want it back now? LOL :popcorn:

Where you located? Depending on how far you are I have a 10" we could probably trade :highfive:

Hah, nope, she doesn't want it. The helmet "messes up her hair" :?

I'm in VT. I actually have the 10"er ready to go, I just need to swap it out. Just painted the rim a couple weeks ago, now I just gotta mount it up.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:51 am 
Awesome, bike looks good! Keep us updated. :mrgreen:

87' Spree: Victoria's Spreecret

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:36 pm 
A while back I had installed a met fuel sender and connected it to my koso gauge so my old gas dummy light has been unhooked for a while. Wanted to relocate the blinker dummy light to that location but the blinker light is domed instead of flat so it didn't match well. Decided to reuse the gas dummy as the blinker dummy, and wire the blinker dummy wires to it- but thought it would be a little odd with a gas light flashing when I hit the turn signal so I wanted to come up with a way to remove the gas symbol from that dummy light so it was just a generic dummy light.

Ended up spending a little time with the dremel-

from left to right- felt wheel with polish, stone grinding wheel, acrylic-like brush wheel (like a wire wheel but softer). scotch-like sanding pad in the background.

I hit the light with a felt wheel with polish and it removed the paint from the dummy light perfectly. I probably should have stopped there. But I realized that the gas symbol was slightly raised, it wasn't still flat. So I wanted to grind it down. Hit it with the grinding wheel very lightly but ended up making a little bit of a depression. In retrospect I probably shouldve hit this with very light smooth sandpaper backed with something flat. After grinding it was a little rough so I hit it with the acrylic brush wheel, then the scotch brite pad, and finally some more polish.

Came out well and smooth but if you look at it at an angle you can see the depression from the grinding wheel. I think some sandpaper with a flat backing would've been perfect and much better than the grinding wheel.

Didn't get to reroute the wires from the signal light to this light yet but don't anticipate much issue there.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:17 pm 
Sold the ol' Roockus last week! Putting the cash into some other projects- my gy6 swapped Ruckus, a Honda CT-90 Trail90, and possibly a naked Helix build.

gy6 off-roader project
Yamaha C3