Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Lil "Bastard" Jimmy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:33 pm 
Large care package from Japan. Thanks Japan.

REF: Polini Vs. KN / KN Vs. OEM drive face

K&Ns arrived

Last edited by JRolla on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:34 pm 
Airbox delete

Broke ANOTHER good screwdriver trying to remove the bastard carb insulator screws

....but this made it easy, grabbing them by the dick

Rejetting for intake and exhaust (38/80)

Removed this bastard thing and cut down the excess length of the opening

Played around with direct carb fitment of the filter. I know it's not advised but I thought I'd find out for myself. Conclusion: It's not advised.

Last edited by JRolla on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:38 pm 
I decided against keeping a lot of the stuff from Japan, got rid of the variator, exhaust (it sounded nice but was too loud) and windshield. Back to the stock exhaust. I also put the stock front shocks back on (MNNTHBX springs still installed). I like the KN shocks but would prefer black. Might put them back on if they don't sell.

Pre-filter and a fuel mixture screw tool pieced together from parts from my mini socket set. You can pretty easily adjust it in situ with the stock engine mount. Socket extension > angled coupler > socket to bit converter > D shaped bit.

Intake runner experimenting

Shortened the runner....

Last edited by JRolla on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:42 pm 
Ladybug larvae hitching a ride

2.5K - New spark plug (as well as the usual oil changes)

Last edited by JRolla on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:57 pm 
I was having trouble getting the performance good after rejetting for the intake with stock exhaust. The revs were noticeably lower during acceleration, around 7300. I checked thoroughly for air leaks at the intake, carb insulator and exhaust and all looked good. A tiny sliver of rubber had chipped off the inside of the insulator but I have since put a brand new one on there and it made no difference.

I tried two different new exhaust gaskets just in case. Blasted the carb with carb cleaner. The variator, weights and belt still had low miles, there was no excess dust, binding or noticeable wear anywhere in the transmission. Tried a new Gates Kevlar belt, now broken in. Actually lowered revs further compared to the Polini Kevlar belt.

Tried putting the intake and jetting back to stock. It still felt more sluggish than before, struggled to hit 40 (used to hit 43-44 with this set up) and the revs were worse still, around 1200 rpm lower than before during acceleration up to ~30mph. Checked valve clearance - perfectly in spec. K&N intake is back as it's at least a slight improvement, jetting is 38/78. Top speed 41ish.

Obviously I did something along the way but I can't work out what it was by backtracking. It's riding OK, just a bit too sluggish. I could raise the revs by throwing on lighter sliders but I don't want to ignore a potential problem.

Last edited by JRolla on Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:05 pm 
Oh and I put my old Spokey Dokeys on the Strowler

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:11 pm 
^ love it

keep in mind that a 4" runner is good for mid-range and a 8" runner is good for top end, heads up. Too bad you didn't like the exhaust, I love it- loud helps keep you safe. Also a fan of the windshield :lol: you'll love it once you break 45

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=93881

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 am 
trueadrn wrote:
keep in mind that a 4" runner is good for mid-range and a 8" runner is good for top end, heads up. Too bad you didn't like the exhaust, I love it- loud helps keep you safe. Also a fan of the windshield :lol: you'll love it once you break 45

Thanks for the link :highfive:

Don't get me wrong, I loved the exhaust. It sounded great (without the silencer), looked nice and pulled strong. It was just so loud and I was leaving for work around 5am including Saturdays, just couldn't keep it and be "that guy". I also like to go on long trips on the bike and that sound would just rattle my brain in my skull. Ironically I'm unemployed now and couldn't justify buying another one even if I wanted to!

I shortened the runner after reading ConElite's and oldfart's comments about their success doing that. When I put everything back to stock I confirmed that there is an issue somewhere else that I have yet to find. The thought of breaking 45 on this bike feels like it's a million miles away at the moment

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:08 pm 
How hangs your lil jimmy?
:banascoot

my left nuts

FatKid87 wrote:
No one wants to see your mascape except maybe ray

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:19 am 
Tanuki wrote:
How hangs your lil jimmy?

I... corrected it, sir.

And when my wife came down and asked what I was doing to my bike, I... corrected her, too.

Seriously though, bike's been running great. Motor and trans have been completely stock except I'm running Dr. Pulleys instead of the stock weights as they're flat. Not really sure what happened but after a lot of tinkering around things seem to be running smooth and sweet. I think power is all there (I would need new stock rollers and belt to know for sure). As it happens I just picked up another (new) KN variator and threw it in last night with 6g sliders and a Gates belt. Will see how it goes today.

I have a spare carb to play with. Trying to learn about porting/polishing it along with the manifold and weighing up whether it's worth doing (at this point I have literally just started to learn about it). Anyone who has any insight, please feel free to let me know your thoughts on the subject.

No real update pics worth posting except some speedo ones that I'll do soon.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

Post subject: Re: Lil "Stud" Jimmy
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:39 pm 
Went out on another little adventure back in Jan this year. Also been doing Postmates on it since October last year and racking up the miles. A few pics to update the thread:

First valve check

Tinkered with springs but ended up putting stock back in

Many oil changes....

Went back to stock intake and variator with Gates belt and 5.5g Dr Pulley sliders.

More oil changes....

Mulholland Drive delivery

Last edited by JRolla on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

Post subject: Re: Lil Jimmy - 2000+ mile GET multi state road trip ( page 5)
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:46 pm 
As of now, I have revoked the "Lil Bastard" moniker, and have nothing but respect for my little bike, despite all of the mischief we got into together in the past.

The Journey Begins....

On the last day of March this year I embarked on a long road trip, semi unplanned, to get me from Los Angeles California to Moab in Utah. My oldest and dearest friend happened to be staying on some BLM land just west of the Arches National Park, and I had been looking for an excuse to go on a big adventure. Here is a brief rundown, because to describe the whole experience in detail would take forever (just telling family about it on the phone took hours). For the sake of this site I'll keep it mostly Ruckus related.

Backpack packed, bike loaded up, no real planned route, I set off early in the morning.

Spent the first night hammock camping on the Twentynine Palms Highway, CA.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 pm 
Day 2

What looks like tire tracks here are actually millions (literally) of squashed caterpillars, and went on for about 20 miles. Very sad! - they're all trying to cross the road (in either direction) for no reason as the vegetation is the same on both sides.

Jimmy's first time out of State

I love a weird thrift store. This one was in Yarnell, AZ - a little mountain town. At 5000ft elevation I was starting to notice a loss of power. Not enough for me to tear down the bike to install my 72 main jet though.

Second night hammock camping, and fucking freezing this time!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:51 pm 
Day 3

Welcome to Arizona!

Not skimping on oil changes just because I'm on the road. Lucky there was an O'reilly's in this little town to recycle the old stuff.

Thought I'd try a Google bicycle route to get me off the 65 mph highways a bit more....

....and this is suitable for a road bicycle?? I would have gone on it but my gas was low and it looked like it was going to enter a maze of other forest dirt roads. Switched back to "car" and had to backtrack a little....

....and almost immediately, more dirt via a weird factory.

Thankful for the stock Kendas.

Climbing higher in elevation and chugging along at 20mph for hours, I can't ignore the inevitable any more....

The high elevation jet helped a little, but I wish I had picked up a K&N drop in filter before I set off from home (left it too late to order).

Actually did not want to end up here (just kind stumbled upon the Grand Canyon lol). Decided to head towards Flagstaff and look for somewhere to camp.

^ This happened Route 66

Nearly camped in here, even wheeled the bike in, then after turning on my headlamp realized the floor is covered in broken glass, and so is the ground outside. Gotta praise those stock Kendas! No sign of damage.

On towards Flagstaff. Night falls, elevation rises, and temperature drops below freezing. For 60+ miles. At 30- miles per hour.

Random shuffle on my phone plays horrible harsh Aphex Twin track to compliment my situation. No feeling in hands, face and feet.

So relieved! I treat myself to a motel to get the feeling back in my body.

Last edited by JRolla on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:52 pm 
Day 4

Or "The Day of Doom" as I remember it.

Within an hour I lost my reserve fuel bottle that was strapped to the back of the bike. Backtracked a few miles but didn't see it. More bummed about my favorite old bandana that it was wrapped in.

Oil leaked out due to air pressure changes. At this moment I realized that I'd lost my credit card. I had my debit card as a backup though.

Reserve fuel bottle replaced.

Looks rainy over there!

Yeah.

That one drop looks like snow....

....Yup.

No internet reception, just a roaming calling service (note to any adventurers: make sure you have a good phone service). I call my buddy telling him my rough location and ask how far it is to the next town. He says "Kayenta, 70 miles".

The sleet becomes a blizzard with strong gusty winds. I'm wiping off a sheet of ice from my visor every 10 seconds, while simultaneously shaking ice off my fingers and stamping it off my feet as my digits start to freeze. The road turns from black to white, and my beloved hard shoulder is nowhere to be seen.

I follow car tire tracks that are becoming increasingly hard to see as the snow comes down heavier and the light disappears. I still pull over to let people pass but each time I do, I feel next to no traction. SUVs and trucks fling brown icy snow at me and my bike any time they pass in either direction, with enough force to sting my arm and leg or wobble my head.

I pass an upside down car in a ditch with police controlling traffic, which actually helps me out as it means there is no longer a constant stream of traffic behind me and I have more time to pull over. Despite all of this I'm in good spirits, enjoying the challenge. The chorus from the song "Foggy Road" by Prince Far I plays on loop in my head (this is the first time I'm not playing music for safety reasons).

A motel in the middle of nowhere with a lit up neon "no vacancy" sign lures me off the road. The windows are all boarded up. On I continue! The temperature seems to drop another 10 degrees or so, and I realize the landscape around me has opened up from a desert road into a wide mountain range.

Then I notice I'm going downhill, and the road is as straight as an arrow. By my rough calculation from when I spoke to my friend, I'm near Kenyatta, and I can see it! As I drop down in elevation the wet snow turns to sleet and then to rain. First thing I notice as I ride into the town is a McDonalds, so I go in to use the wi-fi. I can barely take off my leather gloves as they're soaked through, and I'm aware that I'm dripping water and slush everywhere. The wi-fi is shit so I walk to nearest hotel (one of two). One room left for $200. The other hotel is fully booked. I go back to McDonalds and ask the lady mopping up my previous mess if she knows of anywhere cheaper to stay and she points me in the direction of a motel on the edge of town. Still ends up being 140 bucks but I'm happy to pay it. Ice falls from my collar onto the desk as I'm making payment. "Does the heater work?" I ask.

Instant noodles never tasted so good :banger:

Last edited by JRolla on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next