Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Lil Jimmy - 2500 mile GET multi-state road trip (page 5)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:44 am 
Picked up March 2016, 2015 model with 238 miles on the clock.

I was happy to be able to mount my spare Tree Balsa flatland pegs to it with some hardware I already had here. I used some chromoly 3/8" female hub axle bolts, some neoprene washers and two large steel washers. There was just enough of everything to make it happen luckily. The chromoly washers on the axle bolts are just the right thickness for the frame steel. I had to file down the OD slightly so they would fit snugly. These pegs are extremely rigid and weigh next to nothing. Apart from taking off the rear fender and the storage box that came with the bike, it's all stock.

Last edited by JRolla on Fri May 05, 2017 11:01 am, edited 8 times in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: J Rolla's black stocker
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:51 am 
Nice! I've already been browsing these boards too frequently and have the mod itch.... (like I do with every vehicle I get :lol: )

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:47 am 
CapdYa wrote:
Nice! I've already been browsing these boards too frequently and have the mod itch.... (like I do with every vehicle I get :lol: )

Thanks Capd, love the orange. I was hovering over the buy it now button of an orange battery box on ebay for a while there.

These pegs really make a comfortable riding position. Some front ones would be nice at some point. I have 2 more spare Tree Balsa pegs so might make it happen somehow :meh:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:21 am 
JRolla wrote:
CapdYa wrote:

Thanks Capd, love the orange. I was hovering over the buy it now button of an orange battery box on ebay for a while there.

These pegs really make a comfortable riding position. Some front ones would be nice at some point. I have 2 more spare Tree Balsa pegs so might make it happen somehow :meh:

Loooooooooove the orange. Wasn't sure I would at first, but now I'm super stoked. My buddy has the white/black camo which I think looks good too.

Considering the pegs... How do you have them mounted? I don't think I am lowering my seat anytime soon. I like having the storage and being up higher.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:33 pm 
CapdYa wrote:

Loooooooooove the orange. Wasn't sure I would at first, but now I'm super stoked. My buddy has the white/black camo which I think looks good too.

Considering the pegs... How do you have them mounted? I don't think I am lowering my seat anytime soon. I like having the storage and being up higher.

There are some pics above of the mounting process. My pegs have a 3/8" mounting hole (for flatland BMX) and I happened to have the 3/8" bolts lying around - they're for a female axle in a BMX hub, which I don't even own, so not sure how I ended up with the bolts. :meh: Glad they went to good use anyway. The threads are 24tpi. The thick washers had to be filed down a little to fit the frame. I had a couple of very big steel washers with a 3/8" hole to secure the pegs to the frame from behind. Also there are big neoprene washers in front and behind to protect the paint of the frame.

Honestly though if you're purchasing pegs new anyway, there are ones available that are already shaped to fit snugly in that hole. they are also tapered so if you end up lowering your bike they won't hit the ground in turns. I just did it this way because I like using what I have lying around!

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

Post subject: Re: J Rolla's black not quite stock Ruck
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:41 am 
For some reason my seat was missing the little document cover that goes underneath (I guess the previous owner threw it away). I wanted to utilize that little storage space, and Version2.0 was kind enough to send me a traced outline of his cover. Big thanks to him! I know I could have ordered one through a dealer or got one on Partzilla but I love a little DIY project. I used an old socket set tool box I had lying around.

Fits like a glove!

Last edited by JRolla on Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:31 pm 
Nice! Now take that screw to the hardware store and find a thumb screw the same length and thread pitch. You shouldn't have to use tools to open that thing- I think it should have come like that from the factory.

'The Darkness'

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:02 pm 
JRolla wrote:
CapdYa wrote:
Honestly though if you're purchasing pegs new anyway, there are ones available that are already shaped to fit snugly in that hole. they are also tapered so if you end up lowering your bike they won't hit the ground in turns. I just did it this way because I like using what I have lying around!

I just picked up a couple sets of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2Pcs-KKMOON-Bla ... 1644895829

ImageUntitled by mikesova, on Flickr

ImageUntitled by mikesova, on Flickr

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:47 pm 
Received a few bits & pieces in the mail recently and picked up a couple of quarts of oil from the dealer where he was originally purchased (which is sadly closing down, real old school place that's been in business since the 50s, reasonably priced stuff too. The Honda oil was about 8 bucks).

Changed the oil and replaced the plug with the new billet Rare Earth magnetic one. Finally fitted the lowered seat frame at the same time as the lower tail light bracket and my home (depot) made license plate bracket that bolts to it. I realized after rolling about 3 feet how squishy the rear shock actually is, when the license plate rubbed on the tire on the first small bump. So much clearance when I'm off the bike! Bad choice by Honda - this must be the weakest point of all the stock parts. A new rear shock is in order. Gutted I missed out on an almost new NCY shock on here by a few minutes for a good price. Some shaping of the license plate was needed for extra clearence. I should have another set of shorter front blinkers in the post soon to go on the new rear bracket.

I noticed a tiny amount of play in the rear wheel, not enough to see but I can feel and hear it. Axle nut is tight.. not to sure about that so I'm investigating. Any ideas?

Last edited by JRolla on Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:04 pm 

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

Post subject: Re: Li'l "Bastard" Jimmy
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:56 pm 
A few small updates.

Stripped a modified headlight bracket to bare metal and repainted it (went with flat black in the end). I won't be fitting this until I eventually switch out the bars.

So satisfying....

A stone flew into the floorboard while bombing down Sunset Blvd doing 40MPH at 5.30AM on my way to work. It was big! Would have hit me right in the shin if I didn't have pegs installed. As it happens it hit the gas cap cover and the little removable section next to it, which went flying. I turned round and found it, but it had already been run over and was broken. Ordered a new one along with some other parts and spares I'd been meaning to get.

Last edited by JRolla on Mon May 16, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:11 pm 
Replaced the rear shock with a 2014 Zuma 50F one, stiffer and (unknown to me at the time of buying) lower. I'm kind of liking the lower stance, ride height with me on it isn't too different due to the stiffness but I did consider bumping it up half an inch if I can find/make a suitable riser. Also decided to trim down the rear fender and put it back on. I'm planning to mount the license plate to it.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TR

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 3:14 pm 
I finally decided to tackle removing the helmet lock from the stock seat frame. As with most things I do, manual tools were used as I don't have a dremel. It takes a bit longer but I get there in the end :D

After some work with my trusty old hacksaw, a screwdriver and a hammer, the anti-theft screw was out without a single scratch on the seat frame. I shortened a screw I had in my spares box that had the correct diameter and thread pitch and spun it against a hand file to give it a dome head. Once I install the lock on the new frame I'll fill the cross head and paint it black.

Riding home with my new modular helmet :banascoot

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:53 pm 
Damn dude that BMX looks like my old 87' GT Vertigo with the DOUBLE BEND FRAME :banger:

I miss that bike :cry:

87' Spree: Victoria's Spreecret

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:18 am 
Yeah that bike is tits, wann sell it so you can more ruck parts? :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next