Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: BloodAngl's DevilRuck, teardown for PC & paint
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm 
Personal Shortcut Items:
ImageImage +++ Ronk Fender; ; Reset the ECU; Axle Spacers; Tuning rollers; Noob; AMS/Spain Trip;Tuning; Jump Image

When starting this build, I had very little mechanical knowledge. I did not know how an internal combustion engine worked, how to change the oil, how to disconnect a battery or anything else for that matter. I am learning as I go, making mistakes & growing from them. I'm very open to advice but sometimes experimentation & failing is the only path to knowledge. Thanks for following me on my journey.

First, I start with my helmet. It needs to reflect where I'm going with this build.

Success!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
INDEX (linked)

Flywheel, p13
Tach, p15
Rear fender bracket, p16
Modifying stock perches for 1" bars, p17
Floater seat frame, p18
Stock Cable Measurements, p19
Modifying stock perches & clutch disassembly, p19
All weather tires, p20
Mojo mount install, p24
Motor cleaning & colored hoses, p25
Installing Mojo mount, p31
Douglas 12x8, p32
Broken Auto-choke, p37
Playing with Angel eyes, p39
Angel eye wiring, p41
Angel eye install breakdown, p43
Floorboard sectioning, p43
Cell charger, cable routing & cleanup, p44
Velocity Stack & Carb vent, p45
Velocity stack, rear brake cable relocation, Horn, p46
Horn bracket, p48
Starting Custom coolant overflow tank, p50
Custom Coolant Overflow Res, p51
Coolant tank bracket, p57
Exhaust install, p60
RFID progress, p66
Coil swap, p68
Angel Eyes how-to, p68
Red paint on exhaust, p69
Red Coolant, p69
Waterproof multi-connectors, p76
How-to Change tire rubber, p77
Angel Eyes LED link, p81
Couch lift kit, p81
Redirecting blinker to High Beam indicator light, p82
GitD paint, UV LEDs, Alarm, p86
Vari C-Clip Massacre, p82
Rim Design history, p99
Running wiring through the bars, p102
Making custom length front brake line, p103
Custom length brake cables via homemade crucible, p105
Lubricating brake cables, p106
More crucible action, p106
Custom Rim & Hub spacer, p107
Blinkers Integrated into handlebar grips
Custom Gussets, rough cut
Painting the full exhaust
Gussets welded on
Bleeding/installing disc brakes off the bike

Archive of Mods
  • GP Exhaust from webike
  • Turn signal relocation
  • Horn relocation
  • Custom Windshield
  • MNNTHBX DORF
  • MNNTHBX Turtlehead
  • MNNTHBX Peg Legs
  • RonkSolid Velocity Stack w/float vent tied into coupler
  • Polini Variator w/5.1g Doppler rollers
  • Posh CDI
  • NCY Forks w/ MNNTHBX Drum adapter
  • 10" Mojo GET Fatty Extension
  • 12x8 Fatty w/Viper Stryke to be replaced with Schwabbe All Weather
  • 1" Apes, 18"
  • Tail light bracket removal
  • Poon shock (Net 265mm Red/Silver)
  • DIY License plate bracket
  • JC Lightened Flywheel
  • Gates Drive belt MopedMotion via eBay.
  • 12V Outlet for phone charger
  • Dremeled-out Stock Controls for 1" bars
  • 1" stem off Amazon: Origin8 Fix-8 Ahead Stem for $30
  • New fuel line . Helix Red
  • Triple Angel Eyes, 120mm, 60mm & 40mm
  • Cleaned & painted engine VHT Matte Black
  • Custom Sake bottle Coolant Reservoir

Current Jetting: M82 & SL38 w/shimmed needle
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First Mods: Horn & Front Signal relocation. Easy, no pics :(

That gave me some confidence...so moving forward with a windshield to help keep off this Cold Ass Rain!
First, went to TAP & bought a beautiful piece of red acrylic
With the paper still on, I mocked up ideas to make it uniquely mine...ended up with a horn-style top.

I sharpied out the lines using bowls, dollar coins & other round bits found around the house:

Then, I took my dremel & etched out the lines so I could see them with the paper off.

I was so sketched out with the thing melting in the oven over the racks, I found some trash wood on the street and made a little frame to go in the oven. I felt I needed some way to hold it when inserting/extracting from the oven, also.
For the most part, it worked like a charm. Next time, I'll use smoother wood or something to protect it from the grain of the wood.

_______________________Top: ____________________________________________Front:

Image Image

After taking it from the oven, I had a few seconds to warp it, so I mocked up the brackets on another piece of wood and matched as best I could.

First mounted test

Now for the cutting!
I used a rotary cutting blade to cut most of the curves. I used a hole-saw to cut the inner curves (so much easier!)
Mounted it back on to see the results:

_______________________Inside view:____________________________________________Head-on:

Image Image

Looks sweet & VERY functional. I'm an all-weather, all-year rider, so this was very important in keeping rain from pooling in my crotch. Even with TWO rain pants on, a nice crotch puddle will soak in. Pee-spot = Super lame.

After all of this, I'm really feelin' the mod itch! So, I hook up with MNNTHBX & grab the DORF, Peglegs & Turtlehead.

_____________________Pegs from the front: __________________________________________Pegs from the 45º:

Image Image
You can also see my 2Bro's pipe on there. I added a noise suppressor, but DAMN this thing is LOUD!
I wish there were a way to close it up in the mornings (I'm firing her up at 5.3a -- not cool.) I end up rolling it out to the street & barely twisting for a few blocks.

The pipe is all scratched up b/c the douche I got it from strung it on with wire :ucrazy: :/
I'll have to be painting that.

Here's the Peg leg installed, close-up:

I hate the VIN is partially covered, but I took pics before I covered.

Pegs are from a local BMX bike shop.

Next up: The DORF!
Man, was I excited about this one!

Close-up:

I also swapped out the rear shock for a used Aero80 off eBay. I need a better replacement, but it does the job for now. Bouncin' like a caddy, y'all!

As much as I wanted to do all of the airbox removal mods & put in those pod filters, it's just not practical with how wet I get this bike. For more air flow, I drilled some holes in the stock airbox & put in some little filters:

They work pretty well after rejetting :D

In the works:
I need some good wet-weather tires for my Winter riding.
I'm looking at:
First Choice: Schwalbe WeatherMan
Second Choice: Heidenau all weather

I just bought some pieces from a part-out by Ruckherpanties:

RED Password JDM stretch kit (in "excellent condition w/no scratches")
The shock extension was included.

RED NCY FULLY ADJUSTABLE forks, w/ the piggy backs on them & BLACK NCY matching rims with brand new Michelin boppers

Anyone take a close look at that rim & tire? Clearly spray painted :/
I put one of my stock POS forks on there to see the difference in the forks.

Also included in the deal: Posh CDI & KN Variator (w/Dr. Pulley sliders, mix of 5.5 & 6g.)

I went to start stripping my ride down for the install & stripped a F'n bolt! :headbashing:

I fixed this by super-gluing the hex into the bolt & taking it out easy. Worked like a charm!

SO, CDI not getting installed. Variator tool in progress, so had to pass on that, too.

Looking at the Rims & forks...holy hell. Different axle size! :headbashing:
and..wait...these forks don't have the same setup as my stocks...OH. Disc brake setup. :headbashing:

We're having a pattern here : ( :cry: :evil:

More info to come in the way of SCREAMING FOR HELP!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++6/7/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My used Posh CDI, to be installed:Image

My used KN Variator (How do I even know this is a KN? Can anyone verify?)

Thanks to Pyrogen for this insertion pic: Image

And my NEW Mojo Customs Lowered Handlebar Setup:

Now...to make a Variator tool [done], figure out how those sliders go in [done] & attempt install [done.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++6/21/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I made the variator tool:

Thanks to all y'all for the assist! http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=581&hilit=variator+tool
One bit of advice to tool makers: One of the bottom bolts is longer than the other for a reason: to compensate for thick metal bars used & the distance created by marrying them together
(IOW, use the longer bolt on the piece bolted in back to make them more even.) Mine is done wrong, here. :wink:

Here's my stock Variator, soon to be relaced:

Not quite sure why I expected this to be all dirty in here, heheh.

And here she is, all broken up like a dumped gf:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++7/1/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Lots of upgrades to my fairly stock Ruck. I tried to slam in a few things and get her out for the Hagg Lake ride this past weekend, but it just wasn't safe enough for a long ride.
Rode the GF's stockie & worked my ass off Sat & Sun to get all of this on.

• I added Mike155cc's Stripped Screw Repair Kit to my rebuild. SO sick of those shitty control screws!!

• KN Variator installed. This was so easy with the homemade tool! Easy swap out. Except...I did not mark the nut. I wonder why I would need to do this?
· What is meant by "marking the nut" before taking this thing off?
· I assume it's not a sexual reference, you dirty bastards ... :dubious: ... ;D
· Best I can figure, it's a low-tech way to compensate for not using a torque wrench? I used a torque wrench to spec :meh:

• Posh CDI installed. A little tricky since the used one I received had the wires cut really short :bitchslap:

• Cut off back lights & bracket then finished Turtlehead install (it's been on my seat since I got it in, just not hooked up.)

· The relay part didn't fit so well, plus had different connectors, so I used heat-shrink to affix the connections:Image
...then zip-tied them to the original bracket.

· I want to still be able to flip my DORF up from the back without taking it off. I ordered a single 6-pin Deutsch Connector off eBay for $22 [cheaper options] and installed it without much issue. They are fairly easy to disconnect & take back apart if the pin sequence gets messed up while assembling it. They use a special tool for crimping, but I did well with a regular cheap-ass wire crimper. I was just very thorough and tested everything. Also heat-shrinked all of those wires for a clean install. I had a solder ready, but it worked without it, so I didn't bother. ImageImage
See p2 post for more info on these. The only issue I'm seeing is running the wire through the stock floorboard (which I'm keeping, in part.) I'm looking at cutting the back half off under the seat & fabbing a different cargo tray that's easier to remove for carb work (& looks nicer.) I need to figure out a solution that's easy to unhook & looks nice. More to come on this....

• I ordered an MNNTHBX Drum adapter to work with the forks & rims.
· I need an axle!! I almost forgot, lol. Ordered!
· I did not need a new 12mm axle! the MNNTHBX Drum Adapter came with shims and spacer -- everything I needed to throw a set of disc forks on my stock tire/rim.
Another big Fuck Yeah! to MNNTHBX. :highfive: Works like a charm.

• PW Extension installed. This was a bitch, but not too bad w/two ppl. My only complaint is the frame is now resting on the head :hum That can't be so good. I'll get pics up of that & see if it's normal.

• Those NCY Rims & Mich Bopper tires are gonna be up for sale if anyone wants 'em.
Clearly I knew nothing about what I was doing and didn't realize Disc Rims were NOT going to fit with drum brakes.
I thought the adapter would solve that, but the hardware is clearly incompatible. Yeah, I know, y'all got a good laugh outta that ridiculous post :gang_up

:flip: Image This clearly is not how you stick drum brakes on a disc rim. :nono :ohshit
____________________________________ :laugh: ____________________________________

Upcoming potentials: Holy Hell I need a more comfortable seat! 15-20 mins is max ride time before my ass starts hurting. I'm gonna start looking at alternatives for seating. Most likely gonna fab something from another bike on since I haven't seen much other options other than reworking the stock seat. Tempted by the gel inserts & the vendor that pimps them out with new foam & stuff, but I think I want a different seat altogether. Anyone have experience or seen a fun seat? I'm starting to lean towards a more cruiser style.

I have a DORFsac installed from MuthaRUCKUS. I'm stoked ab having some STORAGE on my girl! It looks really nice, BTW. Great crafts(wo)manship and quality material. The rear straps don't line up with the DORF frame, but it's easy to make it work. Highly recommended. Pics coming.

I have three KN filters in to replace my airbox (finally.) I sure didn't want to do this, but I want a better shock. Plus, after the PW extension, it doesn't fit on very well.

Oh! I also have a poon shock OTW, too!

Current look as of July 2nd, 2013:

YES, I know it's dirty (just like me :dirty1:) We can't all sparkle like Rola :bird:
I'll try to wash her soon, hehe

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++7/8/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

While down, I started playing with some paint & painted my Rad cover hammered silver. You can't really tell the color/texture, tho. This won't stay long.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++7/22/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Got in my Poon shock!

Left to Right: Stock, Aero80, Poon NET 265

Here's the NCY Rim & Miche Bopper installed on the rear:

I've really been dreading the separation anxiety from my airbox, so I rigged up spacers to kick the box out from the CVT. It worked a LOT better than I'd imagined! After a month, this mod is working perfectly. :banger: Now to clean it up & make it look nice.

Front:

Image Image

Rear:

Image Image

I used two 2.5" long bolts that matched the stock ones and a 1" steel spacer & a 1/2" steel spacer for the two mounting holes. The hoses look like they're rubbing the shock pretty hard in these pics, but it's just barely resting on there. I'll give routing and hose clean-up more thought soon.

Just look at that dirty girl. Eat your heart out, Rola!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++8/7/13+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I took my can apart & painted it to not look stupid. I really love how it came out! Traded beat up chrome & gold for black w/gloss highlights:

I made a license plate bracket that wraps around my rear tire. Very functional & I like the way it looks. Sprayed with black tool dip. I've gotta get me a plate frame.

Painted my BB matte black...got rushed & the wind picked up, making my job less than perfect. Def'ly on the redo list.
Current look:

Project continued on following pages. I didn't realize how obnoxious a large first post would be. Sorry about that.

Upcoming projects:

• Lengths:
      • Front Brake: 6ft
      • Rear Brake: 9ft (Mocking up foot brake to avoid a mile of cable) new length TBD
      • Throttle: 666mm
      • All hardware specs on p19
    • NAPA air filter: SME 7-02257 $7.99
  • RFID (purchased)
  • New Horn (purchased, installed) Needs wiring
  • Fab Fatty fender (RuckinRonk as guide)
  • Custom switches (purchased)
  • Design Leg shields (Designed) -- waiting for finishing touches
  • Dynobeads
  • OF Front Fender Mod
  • More paint!

Lovin' my Haters: MOBSTER, s2525

Bookmarked Info
Fork oil Changes

Keepin' these little guys here for links:
ImageImage Image . Image . Image . Image . Image . Image Image

Last edited by BloodAngl on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:38 am, edited 94 times in total.

Cleveland Steamer Hander Outer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: BloodAngl's GET slow build
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:28 pm 
:popcorn: UPDATE

-----------------
PORtland RuckStars sc<---click it

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: [BloodAngl's GET slow build] : Mojo Bars install
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:07 am 
I was fitting on the stock controls to the Mojo bars and I must be doing something wrong. It's just not fitting properly.

I've checked to make sure cables & such aren't in the way, but it's just fitting janky and not properly seating together.
Maybe I'm missing something. There is ab 1/16 inch gap between the top & bottom on both sides. I have ensured that they are seated in the placement hole properly.

Any suggestions or tips?

Also, the stock speedo is giving me equal grief fitting into the adapter (which is killer to be included, btw!)
There's a cable and a rubber piece that aren't fitting in properly and causing it to seat improperly.

This definitely seems like user error, but who knows. There doesn't seem to be anything to hold the speedo in place, actually. It stays due to the tension of the main speedo cable, but nothing actually securing it.

Tips?

Can anyone point out my fuckup?

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Bump: BloodAngl's GET slow build
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am 
Anyone? :]

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:20 am 
I had the same thing with my handlebars, I ended up putting the washer on the inside of the clamp so it presses up against the rubber and the nut on the other side of the clamp so it pulls it through. Its very stable now. It's hard to explain so I'll get some pics once I'm out work and I'll put them up so you can see what I did. :)

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:08 pm 
lol, yeah, a pic would do wonders! I have no idea what you are referring to.

Thanks for the response, Silver. I'm super excited to get my baby back together :D

Do you have the Mojo bars?

Do yours fit together completely?

Thanks again!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:32 pm 
I do have the Mojo bars and the controls did fit together nicely, did you grind off the tab for the controls or did you leave it on?

Here are the pics:
See how the washer is on top and the nut is on the bottom?

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:29 am 
silverWS.6 wrote:
I do have the Mojo bars and the controls did fit together nicely, did you grind off the tab for the controls or did you leave it on?

Here are the pics:
See how the washer is on top and the nut is on the bottom?

Ok, I get it: use washers to space it off the adapter. Thanks!

I did not grind the tab, I had him drill the holes in the bar for me, instead. It seemed to seat properly in the hole. I checked it, but it could use a double-check JIC I need to bore it out a little more.

I'll check everything when I get home today and report back.

Thanks Silver!

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Grinding off taillight bracket
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:48 am 
Well, while I wait for parts to come in, I started cutting off my ass-bracket to make way for the turtlehead.

I think I need a HF trip to get a metal grinder. Any recommendations for a tool that will serve me well in my Ruckdom mods?

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Here's a vid of the Mojo bars with stock controls
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:01 am 

You can see that the bar is too large of a diameter for these controls. They are fitted as tight as they can go on, so they alignment tab is not an issue.

Really unsure of what to do next. It doesn't look like this bar fits the stock controls...maybe I got a larger diameter bar? Seems unlikely, though. Could my stock controls be smaller than other years? Also seem improbable. :DomoHeadBang:

I'm ready to ride!
:charge:

Last edited by BloodAngl on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: Grinding off taillight bracket
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:49 am 
BloodAngl wrote:
Well, while I wait for parts to come in, I started cutting off my ass-bracket to make way for the turtlehead.

I think I need a HF trip to get a metal grinder. Any recommendations for a tool that will serve me well in my Ruckdom mods?

Flapper disc not a stone grinder

-----------------

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:51 am 
Ill have to look at my bars but I think I have a little gap as well. When I get out to the garage ill snap a pic and post it.

-----------------

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:22 am 
You are being damn cool to me, brutha. I really appreciate it. I'll buy you a beer if we ever meet up :beers:

Also, thanks for the grinder tip! (no homo) :moon:

Ruck n Rola wrote:
Ill have to look at my bars but I think I have a little gap as well. When I get out to the garage ill snap a pic and post it.

Gotse Inspector
Gotse Inspector

2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Shock Options
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:56 am 
After spending every day for a couple of weeks (plus tons before that) I decided that a Kitaco shock would be a great purchase for me.

I am keeping the stock airbox due to all-weather riding in the PNW. I am also extending my rear with the PW extension, so I'll have the shock extension. I couldn't find any info on shocks that would fit this situation (excluding the Daytona's, as I need a better replacement than those.) I weight 165. I'm not looking for an expensive shock, but want to make a smart purchase that will last me.

So, all of this research and... :suicide: .......:arrow: OOS everywhere.

Anyone have one for sell or another recommendation? I'd like to spend under $100, but am persuadable to spend more if needed.

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am 
Yeah A 12mm axle is on your list of things to get.

-----------------

Last edited by Ruck n Rola on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 157  Next