Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Zombies
Zombies
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: The PCX x Zoomer swap : rolling, now RUNNING !
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:49 am 
Hey !

After a lot of brainpicking about different donor bikes I could use, bearing in mind modifying vehicles in France is illegal, and that I also did not want to use a shitty Chinese underpowered engine, I thought I should look into what Honda had on offer, in order to camouflage it a bit on the bike (less conspicuous to have Honda written on the cases of the engine on your Honda scooter than Yamaha or whatnot)

Anyways.

Also wishing to retain EFI, simply because it is awesomely cool and pain free to set up, my choice when to the Honda PCX, only available in 125cc in France, because anything above 125 cc, even by the slightest amount, requires you to have a full motorcycle licence, so there's basically not much in between 125 and 350, since 125cc riders use their car licence. Stupid, but go figure what isn' nowadays. :ucrazy:

Now, finding the bike was something else. Quite a few wrecks around for sale, low mileage, front crash damage, for around 1200 € this scooter new costs in the region of 2400 €. Problem with these bikes is that the title is frozen until full repair of the bike done by a professional garage. Seeing as I just want to use the engine etc to build my swap, but I need a clear title to register it, these crashed ones are a no no for my needs.

But I eventually found a classified for a PCX with 1000 miles on the clock, basically lots of the plastic fairings had been damaged and cracked because of 2 light falls. No technical damage, the bike rides fine.

1000 € with a clear title... I will be using that title to get 125 plates on the zoomer, not legal, but nothing will be with this build.

The main ingredients

and the stripped down bike :

These in stock form are hell to work on it's unbelievable.

Good news is there are lots of perfo parts for these scoots, as well as dress up stuff if required, but the plan is to keep it looking stylish but as stock as possible, I do plan on using this bike despite it being totally illegal from the ground up.

First set back of the project however is that I lost my garage keys today... :headbashing:

:mrgreen:

xtra medium wrote:
I think your next ruckus should be called number 1 because your last ruckus looked like a number 2. :lol:

Last edited by Black Market on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:46 am, edited 8 times in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: "This PCX did not die in vain" Zoomer swap build.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:10 am 
Perfect! Honda engine is reliable. PCX using PGM Fi easy start and fuel saving. I already done swap my Ruck with Honda @150 2004 quite strong 16hp also have ES (Energy saving) system, PCX 125 around 11hp good enough. I dont like GY6, my own opinion, cause its from Taiwan. In my country, Taiwan bikes are not at good quality and they are cheap too.

Zombies
Zombies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:34 am 
Thanks

Yeah, the PCX also has the Idling start system that I will definitely keep on the bike. A really cool feature.

11HP but "lots" of torque, actually slightly more than the best selling Yamaha 125 X-Max over here. I think the finished Zoomer will be around 25 kilos lighter than a stock PCX so that will definitely help performance. it's said that you can reach 80 MPH on a PCX with a good variator installed...

I checked out your @ build it's super nice ! The wheels give it a "big" look but the engine itself doesn't look enormous for the zoomer frame. I haven't yet placed the PCX engine under my Zoomer frame, I'm curious to see what proportions it gives. Hopefully not too bad...

xtra medium wrote:
I think your next ruckus should be called number 1 because your last ruckus looked like a number 2. :lol:

Rusty Trombonner
Rusty Trombonner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:46 am 
:popcorn:

MiniMotorMonster 4T
MiniMotorMonster 2T
A Day in the Desert Ride

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:49 am 
yeah keep updating, lets see how it look like. Im undertaking my second project and i wondering what swap should i choose. We just got PCX 150 here but expensive ~$4000. Not a good idea to use that engine cause second hand @150 only $1000 but i want a different with my second one so still researching.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:52 am 
Heck yes! :D
Should be interesting enough to see what you come up with!
Now excuse me, I'll go and prepare the popcorn.

SSW TR-BUILD THREADS.
-
GRAPHIC WORK.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:46 am 

Standard Functions
Sticky Belts

TR's High Five Guy

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am 
cannot wait to see more of this!!!! :highfive:

"Fairly 48"
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=78643
Metruckus

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★
Years on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:55 pm 
Thank God!

-Stephen

Instagram @SBREWER89

•My ruck- The Addiction viewtopic.php?f=95&t=71318&p=1235621#p1235621

•For Sale Thread - viewtopic.php?f=9&t=74450

•Upper Class White Trash•

One of Us
One of Us

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm 
more pics of the engine when ya can please.
:banger:

viewtopic.php?f=92&t=45383

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:47 pm 
Subscribed!

Chucks Big Ruckus

Morphesty 400cc

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:56 pm 
:popcorn: Awesome! Can't wait to see how this works out!

One of Us
One of Us

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:12 am 
Cool, I'm interested. :popcorn:

Greeley Scooter and Bike

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:54 am 
This is great news!

As a UK resident I see loads of Honda 125s on the road and its always seemed a shame to see so many non-Honda motor swaps on TR (though I guess the GY6 is popular for a reason).

Here are a couple of questions (and please excuse my lack of mechanical/engineering knowledge):

1. How does the Honda 125 cc top mount compare to the Honda 50cc? - if you tell me its a direct fit I will pee my pants in excitement.

2. Are you planning on making your own bolt on / weld on mount or will you buy one of the existing mounts for say the GY6 and then try to adapt it to fit the Honda 125?

Good luck with the build... :popcorn:

Zombies
Zombies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:08 am 
hey

Yeah, well GY6 are used all the time because they are compact, cheap, and easy to find.

I must say I almost peed my pants too when I saw that the long engine mount bolt is the same diameter on the GET and PCX engines. But unfortunately, the PCX mounts are like 2 cm further apart, so nope, you can't use any standard mount out there.

I would like to know what distance the GY6 mounts are apart, to have an idea if any mount out there could be adapted.

I need to get my engine angles right in mock up form, but this seems like ti's going to be slightly less straightforward than expected, the PCX has a quite cumbersome throttle body and injector situation, so I've got a lot of work to figure out how to make something to get the engine on without interfering with anything. V1 composimo mount could have been an option (cause it allows rear facing carb, which I have to have on the PCX engine) but unavailable now, Maybe I should drop him a line.

Maybe the offset of the mounts work out that I can use a "standard GY6" extension with spacers, I dunno yet I've got a LOT of measuring to do...

It's actually quite a bulky motor too, compared to the GET, it doesn't seem as discreet a swap as a GY6 but I'll see what I can do. the OE 14 inch wheel is on at the moment, and the enormous CVT cover and rad cover too, so it doesn't help to get the engine looking smaller.

This is definitely a very risky job to undertake, law wise, I've gotta work out how technically possible it is before sinking more cash into it... :meh: Unless I could get it registered and insured in UK (where I have family) it will be far from legal... if you have any advice on that I'd be grateful.

xtra medium wrote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next