Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Dr.EZP's "Humanimal"
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:51 am 
And so, it begins. Here's Amy on Humanimal before touching it:

Upon buying my 2003 used Ruckus in April '07, I realized something was wrong. I discovered TR and my quest to get it up to par started. The first leg of my journey has already been documented here, it was a great voyage on the sea of problem solving:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10126

I finally got it up to 36-37mph after the last step of replacing the trashed rollers with some fresh new 6g rollers from BSS. I added a used Pollini variator and shazaam, hit the rev limiter around 38-39mph. I'll probably get a CDI and then call it quits with speed. ON TO THE COSMETICS!!!!

First thing I want to do is take a huge shit on that ducktail. It drives me crazy by adding what feels like a foot of extra length. It's an arse pain cause I always gots to be navigating the Ruck in tight spots at home and at work. First I got Jeff Stinnett's trusty Dremel. Then I used PasswordJDM's carbon fiber bobbed rear fender as my model. I took a compass and created a stencil for the arc and taped it on the fender.

Using the hacker disc ( :?: ), I happily slaughtered the bulk of the ducktail. I followed that up with contour shaping using a rough grit sandpaper bit and then touched it up with the fine grit bit. I was really surprised at how clean it ended up being, even Amy was impressed (she's my toughest critic, so's I'm always looking for her opinion).

I know this has been done ten times over by others, but, being the :whore: that I am, I couldn't help myself!!

ONWARDS!!!!! :monkeyscoot

Last edited by Dr.EZP on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:10 am 
Looks good, and the Ruckus looks good, too! 8)

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:23 am 
On to the front turn signals!!! I hate 'em! I want to take a baseball bat to 'em, OfficeSpace style. So, I hit up TR, and found Kelvinator's How-To:

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1603

Went to ACE, bought

2 - 1/8' x 3/4' lamp nipples

6 washers

10 or so nuts

heat shrink toobing (assorted sizes pack)

LOCKTITE!!!

First cut the wires and disassembled the light:

I then gutted it, pulled that piece of shit metal bracket out, inserted my sweet nipple, threaded the wires in, and reassembled the light:

Next, whip out Jeff Stinnett's trusty Dremel and increase the diameter of the old reflector hole:

On to the wiring! I had never tried this before, and I didn't see this in Kelvinator's thread, so I took pics and i'll continue the write up in the hopes that someone will use it. You need to cut the wires to a length suitable to hide the remaining wire so's it looks clean. Once cut, prepare the wires for re-attachment as shown:

Now slip the proper length of heat-shrink tubing onto one of the wires, take a sip of some sweet IPA, twist the wires, slip the heat shrink tubing over the proper site and use Amy's trusty lighter to seal the connection:

Bolt it on, use some locktite to secure the bolt, then retape the wires nice and clean with some electrical tape. SHAZAAM!! Clean, tight, and proper.

Now alls I gots to do is grind those little ears down and blam.....

ONWARDS!!!! :monkeyscoot

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:22 pm 
looking good. you might consider also chopping the front fender as well, but it's your ruckus do as you please.

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:28 pm 
You know, I never really thought about the front fender before. I just looked at a bunch of other TR front fenders and there's quite a few options. Must think hard :confused: .

I ended up looking at kcustom's and renzsu's Member's Rides threads, a little bit of PomeRuck, and I am slowly realizing that, compared to a lot of ya'lls Rucks, mine is quite a long ways away. So excuse my little itty bitty titty mods for the time being. I'm fighting the urge to be embarrassed, but, what the fuck we gotta start somewhere :beers: !!

I just wonder if I can afford all the shit I wanna do. This will be an extremely budget conscientious Ruckus. As a result, the transformation will take well into a year, unless I run into a couple o' spare G's.

I want to destroy the rear tail lights and blinkers, I think those and the bizarro stock mirrors are next to go :idea: ......

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Post subject: Re: Dr.EZP's "Humanimal"
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:28 pm 
Dr.EZP wrote:
And so, it begins. Here's Amy on Humanimal before touching it:

It looks to me she's already touching it pretty good.

Nice Ruckus :)

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:28 pm 
Are you gonna solder the blinker wires? they might have a tendency to freak out if you don't, since they are just twisted together..

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:54 pm 
i don't know how to solder!!!!!!!! but you know what, if it starts acting up, i'll just take the hit and buy some of the side mounting blinkers. Those look aerodynamical and clean, and when it comes time to install, i'll learn how to solder, somehow

Ol' Jeff Stinnett hooked me up with his grinder tonight after I got my ass whooped at poker (flopped a straight, beat by a flush!). TIME TO HACK OFF ALL THAT USELESS SHIT!!! HAHAHHA!!

I'm actually looking forward to this because I would like to learn how to paint the sanded parts. Anyone know what to use on the headlight grill to match the stock black?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:55 am 
Black? :lol:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:47 am 
no, use bLack... :lol:

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:36 am 
Well, of course I want to match the bLack, but do I use spraypaint, what kind? It has to have some gloss to it to? Someone's gotta know what to use!!!

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:13 am 
I would try gloss black

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:22 am 
Dr.EZP wrote:
i don't know how to solder!!!!!!!!

it's a good skill to learn--it's pretty simple.
but another thing you can do is use butt-end plugs, crimp the two wires together and heatshrink

don't just use elecrical tape, that'll come apart pretty quickly esp if you park outside.

TR's Mad Scientist!
TR's Mad Scientist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:56 am 
Check this shit out, here's my ridiculous list of obsession!!! HOW THE HELL AM I GONNA AFFORD ALL THIS SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

In no particular order:

0) Posh CDI for '03 - $150+ship BSS
1) tachometer w/ NO delay (don't know yet)
2) blue clutch springs - $5+ship BOWLS
3) chromie 270mm rear shock - BSS $63+ship
4) chromie hole bungs - $15+ship BOWLS
5) chromie handlebar ends - $22+ship 970parts
6) brake levers - $75+ship 970parts
7) Tanax blue tint mirrors and adaptors - $59+ship BOWLS
8) chromie+rubber grips (not sure which yet)
9) chromie folding pegs (not sure which yet)
10) chromie intake filter (not sure which yet)
11) rear light (not sure yet)
12) Sanjuro rear light bracket - $48 Sanjuro
13) PJ license plate mounting bracket - might not be any left
14) chromie handlebars (don't know yet)
15) chromie handlebar mount (don't know yet)
16) some sort of chromed out fat ass muffler
17) fatty front shocks
18) road tires!!

Cosmetic Free Mods:
1) relocate speedo to the BB
2) ace the original front turning signal brackets
3) relocate the horn to the BB
4) ace the muffler shield
5) ace the rear reflector under the license plate
6) I'm considering removing the front fender completely

So now let me tabulate the costs of only the above parts listed with prices (not including shipping)...hmmmm, OK, not bad: 437 bucks. That's probably a third of the total it's gonna take.

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:58 pm 
swisher59 wrote:
Dr.EZP wrote:
i don't know how to solder!!!!!!!!

it's a good skill to learn--it's pretty simple.
but another thing you can do is use butt-end plugs, crimp the two wires together and heatshrink

don't just use elecrical tape, that'll come apart pretty quickly esp if you park outside.

Or you can go buy some self tapping wire clamps for like $2 :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 489 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33  Next