Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: exhaust crackle/pop and hesitation all of a sudden
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:36 pm 
hey guys..all of a sudden I get a pop crackle in the exhaust and hesitation..the hesitation and crackle was so bad the first day that I barely made it home..no changes in jetting were done and this just happened out of the blue..I drained the gas and replaced with fresh gas which made it a bit better but still not acceptable..I replaced the spark plug with another one I had around and it again made it a bit better..I checked the exhaust and it was tight with no breaks..I dropped a jet size on the main and it was still popping..I raised the pc20 carb needle one leaner and it seemed to help with cracking but bogs more now..fuel pump sounds strong..I took the snorkel off the carb and went air filter right on carb and the popping seems to be gone now but haven't taken it for long enough of a ride yet to be sure..and I like the snorkel because it keeps mud off the filter..

i'm just wondering what else would cause this issue..and why would it happen all of a sudden??

running a chanito BB, PC20, jiang exhaust, lightened fly, polini var and gates belt..

appreciate any advice you guys have..

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: exhaust crackle/pop and hesitation all of a sudden
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:59 pm 
pounder wrote:
hey guys..all of a sudden I get a pop crackle in the exhaust and hesitation..the hesitation and crackle was so bad the first day that I barely made it home..no changes in jetting were done and this just happened out of the blue..I drained the gas and replaced with fresh gas which made it a bit better but still not acceptable..I replaced the spark plug with another one I had around and it again made it a bit better..I checked the exhaust and it was tight with no breaks..I dropped a jet size on the main and it was still popping..I raised the pc20 carb needle one leaner and it seemed to help with cracking but bogs more now..fuel pump sounds strong..I took the snorkel off the carb and went air filter right on carb and the popping seems to be gone now but haven't taken it for long enough of a ride yet to be sure..and I like the snorkel because it keeps mud off the filter..

i'm just wondering what else would cause this issue..and why would it happen all of a sudden??

running a chanito BB, PC20, jiang exhaust, lightened fly, polini var and gates belt..

you could try some seafoam 1oz of seafoam per gallon, just a thought

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:03 pm 
discbag wrote:
pounder wrote:

yeah man was a thought I had as well..gonna grab some and a new fuel filter..try the cheap and easy stuff first lol

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:17 pm 
pounder wrote:
discbag wrote:
pounder wrote:

yeah man was a thought I had as well..gonna grab some and a new fuel filter..try the cheap and easy stuff first lol
i just put a new yellow conra spring in my stock clutch and one guy thought i should not do it til i change to the pink zuma clutch springs, but i changed my 4 g dr pulley sliders to 7 gram rollers in my polini variater and seems to work better than the 4g, i have cdi in and mojo fatty kit hard to find to right set up for my 250 pound ass lol, sorry if this is the wrong place to post or wrong subject

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:59 pm 
Do you have your pair valve near the spark plug blocked off? Mine was unplugged when I got my bike and did the same crackle pop on deceleration. I sealed up the holes on the inside of the coverplate and the outer one where the original hose was attached, no more crackle. You can also buy the billet pair valve blockoff cover from MNNTHBX, which looks way nicer.

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:27 pm 
camoruckstl wrote:
Do you have your pair valve near the spark plug blocked off? Mine was unplugged when I got my bike and did the same crackle pop on deceleration. I sealed up the holes on the inside of the coverplate and the outer one where the original hose was attached, no more crackle. You can also buy the billet pair valve blockoff cover from MNNTHBX, which looks way nicer.

cool man i'll check it better than I did..I have some silicone in there that looks like it may be letting air through..i'll plug it up again to be sure..

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:14 am 
If it had a "snap" too, I would suspect Rice Krispies!

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Have you checked the snorkel for air leaks? Even a small leak, like a hairline crack or a loose fitting, can wreak havoc. Check the connections between the carb and the head too, make sure everything's tight. I don't know if the pc20 uses a rubber coupler between the carb and the manifold, like the stock carb has, but if so, they've been known to develop cracks too.

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:09 pm 
oldfart55 wrote:
If it had a "snap" too, I would suspect Rice Krispies!

Sorry man, I couldn't resist. Have you checked the snorkel for air leaks? Even a small leak, like a hairline crack or a loose fitting, can wreak havoc. Check the connections between the carb and the head too, make sure everything's tight. I don't know if the pc20 uses a rubber coupler between the carb and the manifold, like the stock carb has, but if so, they've been known to develop cracks too.

lol..

yeah man it was really bad today with or without snorkel..took the carb off cleaned it and blew everything out..still runs like shit..0 ring gasket between the carb and manifold looks good..no cracks or anything..everything is good and tight..pair valve had a loose bolt so tightened that up but no help at all..about to run seafoam through it and see if that helps..also going to replace the fuel filter..if that doesn't do it i'm out of ideas short of rebuilding the engine or redoing the valves at the very least..this sucks

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:11 pm 
replaced fuel filter..no change..
added seafoam took it for a rip it'll take time to do it's thing if it helps..
rejetted to a 87 main and it runs decent..still popping but more at 1/4 throttle to 3/4..before it would have no power at open throttle..which is really weird which leads me to a blockage of some kind..because jetting shouldn't just change all of a sudden..it ran fine at the jetting I had for 2 years..really strange..

i'm going to drop the pilot tomorrow and see if it runs better..I only have a 30 pilot lower than the 35 that's in there now..I drilled out the 32 when I first got the bike because that's what smartbomb suggested (didn't work)..I can't find 32 pilots by themselves anywhere..

compression is good..pushes my finger off everytime..spark is good..gapped the plug wider which seemed to help some but again this pop hesitation seems to come and go..

oh and also..gas was running down the snorkel when it was idling and dripping out..which leads me to a smaller pilot also..will report back tomorrow..

it idles just fine though with the gas leaking and all..

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:37 pm 
tried the 30 PJ..wouldn't idle right no matter what I did with the AF screw or idle screw..i'll put the 35 back in tomorrow and drop the main to an 85..nothing seems to help much at this point.. :?

edit: bought a new coil that's on the way to rule that out as well..

One of Us
One of Us

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 am 
it's fixed!

I put the 35 SJ back in and dropped the main to an 85..I also found a loose wire at the back of the coil so I tightened it up..don't know which of the two fixed the bike but it's running really strong now..

it's weird that an 85 MJ works though..it never did before..anything lower than a 90 would bog out under throttle..oh well i'm happy I can ride again

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:00 pm 
So I have the same thing on mine but peoe out here tell me it's ok it's just extra air being pulled in as your decelerating. Now also I read that it's a faulty P.A.I.R check valve it's not opening and closing right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:03 pm 
Sorry didn't read back up the list. Glad it's running great tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk