Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: 66cc Big Bore experience
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 pm 
alright, its no secret anymore that this engine is out there. I have one but due to weather and other things i only have 10 miles on it and don't know anything about how it performs. i know there are a lot of people out there that are interested in it and are following a few peoples build threads to see what the deal is. why not put some info into a thread so people can search and find it. Here is my story so far.

I bought the 66cc from Standard functions, I put it in and I noticed that it was a very old Met engine which I thought was cool because the old met engine has a vacuum line so i could have run a vacuum fuel pump. Anyways i went out for my maiden voyage and the connecting rod broke in half and it shattered my crank case. luckily I was not hurt and it didn't do any serious damage to my scooter that I couldn't easily fix with extra parts I had laying around.

This all happened on a Friday night so i spent the whole weekend worried that I was out 1500 bucks for a 10 mile ride. I called SF on Monday and by Wednesday of the next week they had a new engine in the mail to me. Unfortunitly for me my engine blew up the week before super Sunday so they were a little busy. I was very relived that SF handled it so well and replaced my engine for free. I am telling this story not to bash them but to let people know that they do back their product. We are not sure yet why the connecting rod broke, i am shipping them the damaged engine back this weekend for them to diagnose.

Anyways from what I can see the quality of the engines look good and they do send you a complete engine with flywheel and radiator which was a nice surprise for me when I took it out of the box. The only thing I would say that I don't like is that both engines they sent me have been older. The engine i have now does not have a PCV system. My personal opinion is that SF should not accept core exchanged unless they are 09 or newer.

well that's my story thus far who else has any info on this new engine?

Kennybs Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=94&t=70880&p=1227631#p1227631

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: 66cc Big Bore experience
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:47 am 
I got about 40 hours on mine. No problems other than my 49cc GETS neglected a bit now.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 am 
Jedi, how is the engine different tuning wise? I have heard it has a lot of low end grunt so would that mean that putting stiffer torque and or engorgement springs in the clutch is not a good idea or does it still help? Any advice on tuning? a few have told em its totally different from tuning a GET stock engine but I have not got any advice on how it is different.

Kennybs Build Thread

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:05 am 
I dont really like the aftermarket clutch stuff. I tried using a "performance" clutch and ended up ditching it. After that my top end came alive. Right now im running a Zero variator with 5 gram weights, kitaco kevlar belt, lightly shaved drive face, lightened flywheel, and a slim carb with stock jetting. Once the bike warms up it feels like my 49cc bike did on its best days plus some. I have great pickup, which could be attributed to lighter weights, but my top end is still there too.
The other day i rode with a mildly modded ruckus rider. I could lay off throttle, sit upright, give the other lighter rider a cushion and still pull on him. The bike was much stronger across the board than his. I could probably run a met gear, which i do have, but i think i can compensate with a lightly shaved drive face and not have to have it in there. I cruise in the low 50s and can tuck with WOT and hit mid to upper 50s.
Thats good enough for me. If i want more speed id go with another bike.

66cc-Annakin

75/49 Founder

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:10 am 
Maybe if it was a show bike or something id make my mod list longer with a met gear. But i ride the shit out of my bikes when the weather is nice here in wisCONsin.

I push my bikes but i dont abuse them at all. Id rather ride or tune them then fix or replace them.

66cc-Annakin

75/49 Founder

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:06 pm 
Bump

Kennybs Build Thread

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:05 pm 
I was under the assumption that the internals are new

are they not

I wouldnt care how old the outside of the engine is or looks
as long as the insides are new and up to spec

so its just a larger cylinder and piston/rings
no new bearings, con rod or anything like that installed?

are the valves stock size, or do they change that up too

:chow: :LR:

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:24 pm 
kennyb7988 wrote:
Bump

lets bump it lol. only been 3 days

*****2-strokes Vanilla Shake in the making(S-Motion Garge/SparkleMotion)****

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:12 am 
I think the internals are new but am not 100% on that. When i talked to Ming on the phone about the Connecticut rod breaking he said that they get these cores from people so there could have been a defect in the core that they didn't know about. That makes it sound like they don't swap out the internals but I am not sure. The reason i say 09 or newer is because that is when they changed it. Some say PCV is not important, some say it is, I would prefer to have it.

As for the bump after three days, I know there are a lot of these engines out there and I know a lot of people are interested in them but no one is posting about them. I have gotten a few PMs of people asking me question and that want me to keep them updated. Unfortunately it seems like everytime I have free time it is raining here in Richmond so I have not had a chance to finish the install or ride. Hopefully i will get it all finished up today and be able to put some miles on it.

Kennybs Build Thread

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:21 am 
pcv is easy enough to add
all you do is take out cam chain tensioner and replace with the one with a vent tube

then its up to you to have the ecu, and solenoid

from what I read that and something with the valves were the only changes from older to newer engines

does it use your stock carb, or does it come with a carb already jetted and tuned

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:41 am 
:popcorn:

kookookeedoo wrote:
Man, I miss the good old days when the noobs popped up and just wanted to know how to go 50... :headbashing:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:35 am 
no carb, the do send a stock manifold that they bore out but i am running a PC20

Kennybs Build Thread

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm 
Put some miles on it today, everything seems to be working fine. It has a lot of torque, i can smoke my mini Fatty with ease. I tried a bone stock clutch with no mods and it still pulled really hard off the line. However it wasn't as snappy in the mid range so i went back to my GY6 Race clutch with a 2000k Torque spring and middle stiffness engagement. So far the fastest I have gone was 46 at about 9200 RPMs. I can feel the power I just cant seem to translate it into top speed. I tried lighter Torque springs and I also tried 5g, 5.5g and 5.75g sliders with my Polini variator. I noticed that going from 5.75 to 5 only raised my RPMs from 8900 to 9300, back when i had the same setup with the stock bore 5gs would have made me rev around 10500 so I thought that was interesting.

Right now I have the MET final drive, this weekend I am going to try all three Met gears and see if that makes a difference in top speed. I will say the 66cc BB is a totally different beast to tune.

Kennybs Build Thread

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:07 pm 
What's the oil consumption like? My BB was awful....

Z125 Crew
Builds: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=65407

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:22 pm 
kennyb7988 wrote:
Put some miles on it today, everything seems to be working fine. It has a lot of torque, i can smoke my mini Fatty with ease. I tried a bone stock clutch with no mods and it still pulled really hard off the line. However it wasn't as snappy in the mid range so i went back to my GY6 Race clutch with a 2000k Torque spring and middle stiffness engagement. So far the fastest I have gone was 46 at about 9200 RPMs. I can feel the power I just cant seem to translate it into top speed. I tried lighter Torque springs and I also tried 5g, 5.5g and 5.75g sliders with my Polini variator. I noticed that going from 5.75 to 5 only raised my RPMs from 8900 to 9300, back when i had the same setup with the stock bore 5gs would have made me rev around 10500 so I thought that was interesting.

Right now I have the MET final drive, this weekend I am going to try all three Met gears and see if that makes a difference in top speed. I will say the 66cc BB is a totally different beast to tune.

thats a stiff spring
takes more rpm's to get more top speed using it

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next