Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: GY6 in Japan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:56 am 
So I'm stationed at Okinawa and I'm looking at getting a zoomer here and I wanted to see if you guys know anyone that had the engine swapped and if there were any problems with the JCI.
I looked at a used one and the guy said the engine swap is illegal. Other shops did not say it was or was not.

I might have my brother-in-law, wife is Okinawan, do the research for me. He has a slightly modded Grom and a GSXR so I'm sure he would be happy to ask around.

Also, anyone try to import theirs to the US with any issues? I know it depends on the state, but I hear bikes in general are a pain to import to the US.

Appreciate the help

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Living room mechanic
 Post subject: Re: GY6 in Japan
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:45 am 
I'm after the same info! I have almost everything needed to do the full gy6 + stretch to mine also. Still haven't decided if it's better to register in my wifes name (Japanese) or go the sofa route. I don't want to do it wrong. It's for sure illegal because 50cc and below is a different bracket for road tax for sure. I was hoping to just be able to pay for a 150cc or hell 250cc and below to be legit. I personally don't care what it cost so long as there was a way!

So far I have found nothing regarding info on this matter. However I fully know how Japanese laws and regulations go...they keep it 100% by the book with zero exceptions every time. Especially for some punk on a tricked out zoomer lol. I may test the waters but will hold off on the GP aftermarket pipe because I will draw enough unwanted attention as it is.

Hope someone can eventually shed some light and if things go south for me I will be sure to report back here. Good or bad someone should know something.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:57 am 
Putting a Chinese engine on a Japanese bike in the motherland and you wonder why it's frowned on? How long till you come back to USA and put a French engine in a Corvette?
:popcorn:

Yes I know the Vette does come with a French transmission.

How to post pictures <- clicky

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 pm 
nithoggr wrote:
So I'm stationed at Okinawa and I'm looking at getting a zoomer here and I wanted to see if you guys know anyone that had the engine swapped and if there were any problems with the JCI.
I looked at a used one and the guy said the engine swap is illegal. Other shops did not say it was or was not.

I might have my brother-in-law, wife is Okinawan, do the research for me. He has a slightly modded Grom and a GSXR so I'm sure he would be happy to ask around.

Also, anyone try to import theirs to the US with any issues? I know it depends on the state, but I hear bikes in general are a pain to import to the US.

Appreciate the help

There is quite a few Zoomers with engine swaps here, not only GY but other engines too.
basically, the key is what you register the scooter as,...50, 80, 125cc,...and such,...
so when you go to get the tags at your city hall,, the colors of the tags represent engine sizes that the bike can have up to and be legal on the street and registered as...
I'd highly suggest you register the bikes as J plates (under your spouses ) name,...
this way there are a few benefits,...
no inspection for bikes under 250cc, each year just pay the road tax and ride,....
they don't even look at the bikes,...
two ,... by having J plate you don't have to go thru base inspection to get your base access stickers,..
they nitpick on every little thing ....
If your not planing to ride on post everyday,...go J Plate...

Most local 50 don't mess with you if your riding smart and have a head light, tail light, front/ rear amber turn signals,...
and your tags are viewable ....at driver height...

Finally in order to ride in Japan make sure you go to motor cycle safety course on base being under SOFA you maybe required to get the motorcycle safety cert prior to riding on and off base...

Hope the above helps,

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:22 pm 
nithoggr wrote:

Appreciate the help

There is quite a few Zoomers with engine swaps here, not only GY but other engines too.
basically, the key is what you register the scooter as,...50, 80, 125cc,...and such,...
so when you go to get the tags at your city hall,, the colors of the tags represent engine sizes that the bike can have up to and be legal on the street and registered as...
I'd highly suggest you register the bikes as J plates (under your spouses ) name,...
this way there are a few benefits,...
no inspection for bikes under 250cc, each year just pay the road tax and ride,....
they don't even look at the bikes,...
two ,... by having J plate you don't have to go thru base inspection to get your base access stickers,..
they nitpick on every little thing ....
If your not planing to ride on post everyday,...go J Plate...

Most local 50 don't mess with you if your riding smart and have a head light, tail light, front/ rear amber turn signals,...
and your tags are viewable ....at driver height...

Finally in order to ride in Japan make sure you go to motor cycle safety course on base being under SOFA you maybe required to get the motorcycle safety cert prior to riding on and off base...

Hope the above helps,