Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Okinawa/Japan Scooter requirements/Laws
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:27 pm 
Hello everyone,
I moved to OKinawa about a year ago from the states and brought my Ruckus with me.
It got pretty beat up on its journey over here thanks to the moving company and I am currently rebuilding it...

I have gone through and figured out exactly what I need to do to get it registered and on the road, but I have some questions regarding what exactly the "safety Inspection" will pertain to when that time comes...

I do have all of my stock parts and could swap everything back for the inspection... I would like to avoid doing this but realize this is probably the easiest way to pass with no issues. I "talked" to the inspection official and he expressed that "very big" stretches are frowned upon, and I also asked about my integrated tail light and he seemed to state that the lights had to be distinguishable from each other (not sure how they measure this??)... my Japanese is limited and so was his english.

My questions (simply pertaining to the inspection process or japanese 49cc law):
1. Are front and rear fenders required? I am running RRGS low downs and disc brake conversion..
2. Are integrated tail lights allowed like the turtlehead?
3. Is a 12" stretch kit acceptable (if it looks natural and fairly stock?) IMO unless you know what youre looking for, a 12" stretch looks natural to me :meh:
4. I have the Vapor speedo/tach, I assume this will suffice?
5. Is a Stretch Fatty going to fly? :banger:
6. I am assuming i should use my stock exhaust? moto GP probably too loud? :usa:

:meh:

I know all of these questions could be solved by simply throwing my stock parts on. :cry:
Every website I've visited that outlines the test is very vague and leads me to believe that the final judgement is largely based upon the testers opinion (much like stateside inspections)
The only parts of the test that im certain of is the exhaust noise test (although ive heard many loud scooters here that presumaby passed this test), speedo accuracy test and brake test.
here is the clearest reference to the procedure that leaves much to the imagination as to what exactly the standards are...
http://www.navi.go.jp/english/pdf/ServiceGuide.pdf

I can post an image of the inspection checklist i recieved when i get home, which doesnt include a section for body or chassis.. and has sections checked relating to cars as well lol
the test is $8.50.. worst case scenario i bring my scooter in modded form and they tell me what needs to change in order to pass, I spend an hour swapping parts and take have it inspected again hoping they dont mind haha :wc_flag:

thanks to anyone who has info on this or has gone through it before

Draklores Build Thread

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Post subject: Re: Okinawa/Japan Scooter requirements/Laws
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:18 pm 
Hey.. this is what I would do.. I take it as is and run it. The true issue is there is no consistancy from inspector to inspector.

1. Are front and rear fenders required? I am running RRGS low downs and disc brake conversion..
- * The RRGS' and the front disc setup is good to go.
- * Not sure about fenders being required.

2. Are integrated tail lights allowed like the turtlehead?
- * they wont pass. They're too close and they are supposed to be sperated.

3. Is a 12" stretch kit acceptable (if it looks natural and fairly stock?) IMO unless you know what youre looking for, a 12" stretch looks natural to me
- * again this one is subjective to them. my friend, just the other day, pulled right up next to 5-0 and nothing.

4. I have the Vapor speedo/tach, I assume this will suffice?
- * That works. shouldnt be an issue.

5. Is a Stretch Fatty going to fly?
- * again this one is subjective to them

6. I am assuming i should use my stock exhaust? moto GP probably too loud?
- * I would roll up there with stock on. but like you said, if you go as is, the worse that can happen is they tell what won't pass.. then go fix only those things. However, if you just want to save yourself the going back and forth... swap it all back over.

Where you located ? there's a handful of us that already rolling.. a few more about to complete their builds.. and I'm restarting my build. hahaha Most are locals and dont ride their rucks on the base, so it's hard to say.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:54 pm 
Thanks for the reply!

Ok that is good news and I pretty much figured on most of them. Now I just need to hook some rear blinkers to get through and more than likely I'll keep the stretch and just bolt on my stock rim and exhaust. Three bolts and I should be ok.

I'm out of gate 2 of kadena, in Goya near the Zoo. Right now I'm trying to find a scooter shop that won't have any issues mounting the tire on the fatty. If you know any local scooter shops that have any experience with that please let me know!

Draklores Build Thread

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:20 am 
Interestingly enough, my friend had his front tire mounted at a bike shop near STEC and well.. That didn't turn out so well. Most places, like Stec, won't mount tires to rims if you didn't purchase the tire from there. Silly ass rules..

But from what I hear, head down to Ricoland in tomigusuku. They can do it.. And from what I understand they have all the nice machines to do.

I grew up around where you live.. OKI CITY. I'm literally about 10mins from you lol.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:32 am 
hicomp4ag wrote:
Interestingly enough, my friend had his front tire mounted at a bike shop near STEC and well.. That didn't turn out so well. Most places, like Stec, won't mount tires to rims if you didn't purchase the tire from there. Silly ass rules..

But from what I hear, head down to Ricoland in tomigusuku. They can do it.. And from what I understand they have all the nice machines to do.

I grew up around where you live.. OKI CITY. I'm literally about 10mins from you lol.

good to know!

yeah I stopped by STECs and although they had basically everything you could want or need, the prices were ridiculously expensive. I was walking through amazed at the parts selection, but I Had already bought most of it from the states for nearly half the price.

Really sucks about the tire mounting only if you bought it.. I have a tire bar and have mounted my share of tires but not looking forward to these tiny scooter tires lol
My biggest problem right now is trying to figure out if I need to run separate tail/blinkers or not. I have heard here and another place I do, but have talked to two japanese scooter guys including a tech at stecs and they said integrated was ok... :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

hope to meet you and the other scooter guys soon!

Draklores Build Thread

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:01 am 
Well, technically in japan, they have to be separated lights.
I'm sure base will look for it.
Once it passes though just swap it out

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:06 pm 
So to answer my questions the process has been frustrating but faster than I thought

You need to get you sofa license updated with MSF Basic riders course annotation. Even if you already have it in the states, you need it here. Luckily I was able to just show up and take the SKILLs test.

Once you do that you can get insurance, you need JCI which is 47$ for one year or 50$ for three... :ucrazy:

JCI doesn't cover anything so you can get additional liability which is a little over 100$ for a year or you can go for some sort of full coverage, basically highly recommended.

Ext you need to get your road tax paid, which requires you to stop by your local town office...it didn't cost me anything but I think it's something like 1200¥ for our scooters. You should get a plate if it doesn't already have one.. Mine didn't because it is imported this year.

Next you go to camp Foster and start the registration process. They will check all your papers and then usher you through to the inspection area.. They check the bike (cost 8.50$)
If everything checks out you then get a registration sticker and road tax sticker.

I have yet to roll through the inspection, but will be doing so Monday. I know my exhaust will not pass so I will be taking off my fatty and exhaust for stock.

Even though the town hall didn't give me a road tax sticker, I am still good to ride I just bring my certificate with me on rides. Riding on base is what the inspection covers

Draklores Build Thread

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:38 pm 
What a bunch of bullshit..
I took off the stretch, exhaust and rear wheel and took it to the inspection office..

Bassically because the bike is American I sat for 45 minutes because they did not know how to check the VIN number...
After that excruciating process, he tells me that the Zoomer Blinkers I have up front are not big enough, and need to be facing forward...

Then, he tells me that my front wheel is not JWL certified... :pissed:
So I bassically have to get another fucking front wheel, or swap back to my entire front end setup just to run my stock steel wheel...

Then he tells me my rear blinkers are not big enough or far enough apart...

And that I need a red reflector above my plate..

The blinkers are not so bad, but what I'm pissed about is the front wheel. You have to be fucking kidding me.

Draklores Build Thread

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:51 pm 
Aint that some shiit.. Its crazy how much trouble they're giving you. And is there somewhere else you can go or is it like part of the dmv overthere?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:43 am 
CRuck wrote:
Aint that some shiit.. Its crazy how much trouble they're giving you. And is there somewhere else you can go or is it like part of the dmv overthere?

At this point I am used to getting bent over for simply being an American..
I don't blame them, because we are occupying their country, but at the same time it really is discouraging to say the least.

This part of the process is to allow me to ride the scooter onto base... Basically I am good to ride off base. But the inspection is only done at one location and I simply have no other choice.

I am going to throw my stock front end on and get some blinkers locally. I am more frustrated that I have to do all this for a one day inspection. Then rebuild the bike as it was... When I see local bikes modified in the same manner as mine all the time, all this wear and tear I have to put only paint and parts taking all this stuff off and on.

If I hadn't already swapped out the rear, I would say it's not worth it and just continue riding off base..

Draklores Build Thread

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 12:30 am 
After making the changes, I went back only to get turned away because now suddenly my brake light was too small...

So I went to Stecs and bought the biggest brake light I could find. Ride back to the place and collected my Sticker.

Total
Pain in the ass process for a sticker, But you do what you got to do to ride.
If anyone wants to get together for a ride please PM me!

:banger:

Draklores Build Thread

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 2:29 pm 
Damn bro, glad you got your ruck legalized. Thats some bs. And how long til you have to get another one?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 am 
CRuck wrote:
Damn bro, glad you got your ruck legalized. Thats some bs. And how long til you have to get another one?

Every year I think.

I made a box and threw every bolt/wire I used to get it to a pass able state..
I am hoping to pick up another frame though, and if I do I will just swap the rear frames back and forth.

Went out for a cruise with a few local guys and had a blast! Really cannot wait to get out some more, it really is nice to finally have this thing together :banger:

Draklores Build Thread

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:53 pm 
Awesome ride ! Really need to hurry and start building mine :banger: . Parts are starting to coming in...

this coming weekend looks like rain.. but after that, it's going to be HOT :twisted:

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:01 am 
Good to see a few other Ruck Ninja's on the island. I'm in the hunt for the biggest pile of junk running frame I can find if anyone knows where might be a good place to find a stock scoot. No road rash is my only deal breaker. My intention is to ride it up after insurance/road tax then tear it down to pretty much nothing and powder coat what I'm keeping off of it. Going GY6 full monty right after I get the sticker.. then after the first year never riding it on base again LOL.
If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated on where to find one that just runs. Cheapest I could find so far was like $850 and had a basket on the front Hahaha. Going to for sure do before and after pics of it.