Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Okinawa Ruckers/Zoomers
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:08 am 
Hey all--Any guys in Okinawa check out this board? I've seen a few thousand scooters, so I fugure that there might be someone! :banger:

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: Okinawa Ruckers/Zoomers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:36 pm 
I wish...Maybe my wife will get stationed there :banger: Good luck, I know how it feels to ride alone

http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=19065&p=253300#p253300

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:06 am 
I'll be there eventually... well... not stationed there permanently, but, back and forth depending on ops tempo and stuffs...

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am 
Drop a line and I'll be sure you have a blast! Wanna ride mine while here...get your SOFA license, and it's yours to ride too. BTW, been following your build--you are going to the max quick--super nice bike!

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:57 pm 
Whats a SOFA? I'll get one for sho though. Wanna ride when I get there.

Blue'87GT wrote:
Drop a line and I'll be sure you have a blast! Wanna ride mine while here...get your SOFA license, and it's yours to ride too. BTW, been following your build--you are going to the max quick--super nice bike!

n00bie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:00 pm 
im heading to kadena sept 1 was wondering if i buy a ruck over there if i can ship it back when we leave in 3 years

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:19 am 
RuckMonkey wrote:
Whats a SOFA? I'll get one for sho though. Wanna ride when I get there.

Blue'87GT wrote:

It's the military drivers license for driving overseas. You can probably get one through the transportation safety office there.

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:23 am 
Chegrume wrote:
im heading to kadena sept 1 was wondering if i buy a ruck over there if i can ship it back when we leave in 3 years

Good to hear that you're coming over! You can buy one here, and can bring it back to the USA in your household goods shipment if you have the weight allowance to cover it (195 lbs for mine coming over). However, registering a Zoomer back in the USA would be a problem. Perhaps you could buy a US spec frame and switch everything else onto it, but legality and cost worthy? I recommend that you bring one (Ruckus) with you, and I'll be able to walk you through the hurdles. It's a pain, but once I got the straight answers, I can do it again no problems. :usa:

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage

n00bie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:51 am 
They have temporally removed the weight allowances but our goods leave friday. Did some looking around but can't even find a new one in the area.

What are the requirments to ride on the road in japan do you need a jci for a scooter? On base im guessing its like a motor cycle helmet and colored reflective vest. I don't wana go through a lot of hedache if im gona have to have a jci american and jap insurance and a lot of other stuff i'll prob just wait till i get back to the states to get one.

well i got a line on one in bham for sale with a gy6 already swaped onto it with extras for 2000 gona see if i can get in touch wtih the guy and get in the household goods :banger:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:59 am 
Yep, you have to have both JCI and American insurance just like a car, but they are CHEAP! I did have to have my Ruck inspected to ensure that all safety equipment was in tact, but that was about all for inspections.

As for riding gear, it's the same as in the USA. Helmet, full fingered gloves, long sleeves, long pants, boots over the ankle, and reflective vest. You also need an MSF class card (take it there--her's a lengthy waiting list), and get an endorsement on your Japanese SOFA drivers license.

Get one there if you can, or else have to deal with the language barrier buying one off base, etc.

As for weight allowances, etc, are you in the USAF? For me and my family, we were allowed full weight allowance. Not sure about other branches of the military.

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:34 am 
RuckMonkey wrote:
Whats a SOFA?

besides what bluegt said, SOFA normally stands for "status of force agreement". it's an agreement between the US armed forces and the host nations' governments. there is SOFA in korea, iraq, apparently japan, probably in turkey, germany, spain, italy, kirgizstan, UK, and other countries that host US military.

n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:26 am 
well that dosent sound to bad. We can ship as much weight as we want at first it was gona be 2000 pounds then they said no restriction, only probly is finding a ruck and getting it before tomorrow.

I hope I can get everything done our goods leave tomorrow, gona go check out the ruck in bham. I'll keep u posted.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:29 pm 
varroa wrote:
RuckMonkey wrote:
Whats a SOFA?

besides what bluegt said, SOFA normally stands for "status of force agreement". it's an agreement between the US armed forces and the host nations' governments. there is SOFA in korea, iraq, apparently japan, probably in turkey, germany, spain, italy, kirgizstan, UK, and other countries that host US military.

LOL, Varroa, I know that. In ther context though, that is not what he's talking about.

But yeah, I'm bringing my ruck to Japan w/ me and then gonna find a Zoomer frame to get and install to prevent any big money issues. :D Sorry though, I'm keeping my US frame for when I come back from Japan.

n00bie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:16 pm 
well i didn't get either of the 2 rucks i was looking at near me :( gona have to find a zoomer as well. I'll give you a shout in september. :usa:

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:11 am 
RuckMonkey wrote:
varroa wrote:
RuckMonkey wrote:
Whats a SOFA?

LOL, Varroa, I know that. In ther context though, that is not what he's talking about.

But yeah, I'm bringing my ruck to Japan w/ me and then gonna find a Zoomer frame to get and install to prevent any big money issues. :D Sorry though, I'm keeping my US frame for when I come back from Japan.

Are you PCSing here? No worries on getting the Zoomer frame, they're reasonable enough, but no need to though...would cost you more money, time, and trouble than it would be worth to switch frames.

'96 Bronco-in storage
'03 F250 V-10-in storage