Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Motorcycle license?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:07 pm 
Here in az I have been told by DMV and local police that you "technically" need a motorcycle license to operate a ruckus on main streets, but I have been pulled over multiple times and not one of them have mentioned it to me. So I was wondering if you guys out in Hawaii have had any issues with this? I've heard that if you register them under moped you don't need one but I'm not too sure I trust that. I've been riding scoots for about 3 years now and have never had a motorcycle license but I don't want to go threw the hassle of shipping my ruckus from mainland to end up getting hassled about not having a license. Also how does the registration/safety check/insurance work with them when they are stretched/fattied and have exhaust? Moving that far away from home on my own has already become stressful enough so Any help/tips would be much appreciated

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: Motorcycle license?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:19 pm 
No one knows?

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:08 pm 
Ttt

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:33 pm 
When I visit Kauai, an M1 license is required to rent a scooter, so I'm guessing every island should have the same law? :meh:

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=88013

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:32 pm 
You need a motorcycle license, but not all the popo know about it yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmXA1Ng25Uo

2006 Honda Ruckus
2009 Yamaha R6

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:58 pm 
can buy a ruckus at local honda dealer rather than ship. south sea honda honolulu

the new ruckus safety check is good for 2 yrs. 3yr,4th , 5th yr so on is each year safety check.

yes need motorcycle license, insurance , register tag and safety check inspection.. as for safety check they will take pic on rear right 3/4 corner.

a moped 49cc no need insurance/safety ck. just carry a copy of register title and type 3 driver license.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TR

Parking lot mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:16 pm 
so just got pulled over by Po-Po lol

2 motorcycle cops decided to talk story to me about my ruckus mods and then... o BTW is this ruckus registered! :wc_flag: :wc_flag: :wc_flag:

O umm... hmmm... yeaaahahhhhh,... No officer! :headbashing: :headbashing: you see, its my project bike that I've been working on for a while and I'm I haven't registered it yet as a moped, and I'm on the road, taking it for a run to find out if its been jetted properly.

officer says, "I don't believe you"!!! :dubious: "I should ticket you, but I don't have the time for this!"

OMG :shock: Well,... I was actually telling the truth lol that doesn't make me right though.
SIDE NOTE: Just to give the cop some credit, I was on the road with an unregistered "MOPED/SCOOTER".

Although I just called DMV here in Hawaii and they are telling me "even though we don't have manufactures specs or determinations; It's not a moped because it's over the Horse Power limit of 3 and classifies as a scooter. (ruckus stock is 3.78 I think so technically they are right.)

Aside from going through the motions of getting insurance (progressive quoted 100 flat for the year) + (14 dollar inspection)+ (registration and associated fees) DOES ANYONE IN HAWAII KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THIS?!?!

It would be so much cheaper to register as moped. :pissed: :pissed: :twisted:

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:52 pm 
Took my 2011 stock ruckus in for a safety check.. YES.. It's been plated from day one.. Rego , Insurance needed always.
My garage guy says " NO ". Not doing mopeds and scooters , new regulations, and doesn't want to deal with the BS.
Now I have to ride the 60 miles round trip to the Harley dealer and hope.. WTF!!!!