Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Honda Elite 250 .....Mechanical problem / noise ?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:33 pm 
There's a slight difference between the starter mounts, other than that the starter motor is an exact replacement. I have 2 sym Bikes, a Sym Joyride 200 and a Sym GTS250, both shares parts with the elite.

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:05 pm 
BTW, a clutch compression tool is ABSOLUTELY NOT NEEDED to do scooter clutch work! Really, the best/easiest thing is to just use the variator holding tool to hold the clutch in place, break off the special nut while everything is still in place, & just anticipate the "BOING!" by holding your free hand over the clutch while undoing the special nut by hand. ...& to get it all back together, just step it in place with your feet/soles of your shoes, holding it while you place the special nut, & once threaded you can use the variator holding tool to brace it while you torque it down. . ..another useful method using a table clamp & a strap wrench---after removing the clutch assembly, place the special nut in a table clamp facedown, and put a strap wrench around the outside of the clutch shoes. You'll be able to unscrew the special nut that way, & then everything will just come apart nice & easy----I saw it on youtube but can't find the link anymore. ...

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:45 pm 
Reaper,

Hope you figure this out.

I used Bel-Ray chain lube on my rollers. I have the same 22g weights as well. I bought a combo from helix-parts.com. New variator, weights, belt and clutch....all in one package. It was cheap too man.

The Bel Ray lube sticks to the parts and won't slop around and get spun out to the edges of the variator. I've seen 10,000 miles on a set of weights that were oiled with this Bel Ray chain lube, and they BARELY had a flat spot on them. 4 Real.

That's what I use on my Elite and Ruck.

"I play heavy strings, tune low, play hard, and floor it. That's technical talk." --SRV

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:14 pm 
Phishin wrote:
Reaper,

I used Bel-Ray chain lube on my rollers. I have the same 22g weights as well. I bought a combo from helix-parts.com. New variator, weights, belt and clutch....all in one package. It was cheap too man.

The Bel Ray lube sticks to the parts and won't slop around and get spun out to the edges of the variator. I've seen 10,000 miles on a set of weights that were oiled with this Bel Ray chain lube, and they BARELY had a flat spot on them. 4 Real.

Chain lube sounds like a GREAT IDEA ! The 19 gram sliders I ordered came today . As soon as I get my spare cover back from the powder coater I am going to install the new sliders . When I restore these now I have the clutch variator cover powder coated a bright gold . It looks awesome . If you haven't seen one in gold look here . It really sets it off .

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=30957

I am going to try the chain lube with the sliders , thanks for the tip . TheReaper!

P.S. As far as the noise problem goes we haven't gotten to it yet . I ordered a gasket for the top . As soon as it gets here my tech and I will take a look see . It's no big deal either way , I really just wanted the parts and the plastics off of it .

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:00 pm 
Well ! I now know why they put grease in the Elite 250 variators . This morning we cleaned the grease out of an 87 , put the same rollers back in and tested it out . When we gave it gas from a dead stand still , they rattled like a bunch of nuts and bolts in a shaking coffee can . We pulled the variator off and repacked it with grease and guess what ? No rattle !

Here's what I'm thinking , maybe I'm wrong but here it is . The way the variator is shaped on these older units , they need a grease cushion to prevent the rattling ?

TheReaper!

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:46 pm 
Phishin wrote:
Reaper,

We finally got around to pulling the top of the motor today and it was clean as a whistle and the timing chain was clean and tight . My tech said he wanted $120.00 to tear it down the rest of the way to see what's wrong with it . I think I'm just going to take the rest of the parts off of it and call it a day . That said when I pull it apart , I'm planning on tearing the motor apart and saving all the good parts . I wish I knew enough about these to rebuild the motor myself . Maybe I'll learn a little more just by tearing it down to nothing ?

TheReaper!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:29 pm 
Why would you open op your engine? Make sure that you have the servicwe manual fo all the torque settings of the nuts. My one way starter clutch came loose due to insufficient torque settings.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:29 pm 
shibby wrote:
Why would you open op your engine? Make sure that you have the servicwe manual fo all the torque settings of the nuts. My one way starter clutch came loose due to insufficient torque settings.

I have the service manual , the reason we opened the top is to check out the timing chain .
Most of the people I told about the problem thought it was the timing chain , so that was the first place we looked . It's not a big deal either way , the scooter has a lot of valuable parts left to salvage . I got a lot of really good plastics from it and I sold all the inner plastics and the oem radio to a guy out in California . Even though I paid a good price for the scooter , it really is worth more dead than alive .

I would just like to know what's wrong with it , and I really would like to learn more about the engine . Like I said when I am finished tearing it all down , I'll tear down the motor down and see what's what .

TheReaper!

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:12 am 
The parts that i am having a hardtime finding replacements are the timing chain and timing chain tensioners.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:55 am 
shibby wrote:
The parts that i am having a hardtime finding replacements are the timing chain and timing chain tensioners.

Bike bandit shows that they are still available ? Are you talking new or used ?

TheReaper!

2010 King of HATE
2010 King of HATE

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 pm 
sure the tensioner is still good ?

maybe it's the output shaft bearing . pop off the variator case and check that crank bearing

got any spare elite 250 rear hubs ???

'10 Elite 110 $3k
'98 Superhawk $3k w/extras
'74 CB550 $2k
Replace w/ GROM + Either cb1100 OR cb1000r
MANdown
http://www.totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewt ... &start=180