Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Around the World on a Ruckus
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:51 pm 
:banger: nice trip! I'm following :popcorn:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:42 pm 
RaxaR wrote:
metal wrote:
fasterthanme wrote:

When you hand them the passport and they see USA I doubt you get a chance to blend in. If you're not aware of the brutality of that war I suggest you do some reading. I have nothing against North Korea nor it's people. I totally respect them and their land.

The US has done a lot of fucked up things to a lot of countries around the world. Many a US citizen can safely travel through. A few like North Korea we can't even get in, let alone safely travel. Time heals. If it is safe for me to travel one day, and I'm around I would.

Americans can travel to north korea, you have to purchase a package from a specific company, and you can only fly there from China. You get grouped with other tourists and get assigned a "tour guide". Everything you do and see is dictated by the north koreans, most of it is propaganda BS and if you're lucky you'll spend an evening at the world's worst amusement park. So yeah, taking a ruck there would be out of the question

Sounds similar to the travel program for either Burma or Tibet. Its not a country for a solo traveler to be able to wander around on your own. World's worst amusement park sounds like it could be interesting.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:44 pm 
Miguelr wrote:
Got a set of lightly used tires waiting for you when you get here!! Both stock front and rear :highfive:

Thanks again Miguel. I'm looking forward to meeting up with you within the next couple of days here. Those look a lot better than what I have right now. Maybe I'm the one that needs to buy you beer and pho.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:00 pm 
Dervish wrote:
I saw this thread shortly after Metal created it on April 1st and thought it was an April Fool's joke. :mrgreen:

This is beyond awesome. I hope you keep us updated on a regular basis! Do you have a map you could share showing your expected route? The one you drew out on the video looks very different from what you're reporting here. Are you going to loop back around through the US and go through Central/South America? If you come through southern Colorado I'd like to meet up and help in any way I can.

Anyway, you rock for doing this. :banger: Enjoy and be safe. Let us know if you need anything.

Ha, I can see why you could think this trip is an April Fool's joke. Sometimes I think it is too and it puts a big old smile on my face.

I really don't have an exact route, so no real map of an expected route. When I originally planned this trip, I was going to ride to Montana towing the bicycle. Leave the bicycle there and ride the scooter by itself straight to New Mexico and leave it there. A few days before I left I got an invitation in the mail for my friend's wedding which sent me in a completely different direction at a bit faster than expected pace.

After all of the hiking/cycling, I hope to be riding the Ruckus back home (Irvine, CA) around the end of October. I'll be home for around 3 month working and saving a bit more money for the next loops which would be Mexico, Central and South America, and back. For now I'll only be hiking/cycling in Colorado. I'll definitely let you know if I'm in the area and need help.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:32 am 
Any chance you'll be in Indiana at anytime during your tour as I would love to meet up and discuss your strategy as I hope to do a similar trip in a few years? Also I love the bike mount and might have to copy that so I can tow mine to the MTB trails around here.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:45 pm 
metal wrote:
Dervish wrote:
I saw this thread shortly after Metal created it on April 1st and thought it was an April Fool's joke. :mrgreen:

This is beyond awesome. I hope you keep us updated on a regular basis! Do you have a map you could share showing your expected route? The one you drew out on the video looks very different from what you're reporting here. Are you going to loop back around through the US and go through Central/South America? If you come through southern Colorado I'd like to meet up and help in any way I can.

Anyway, you rock for doing this. :banger: Enjoy and be safe. Let us know if you need anything.

Ha, I can see why you could think this trip is an April Fool's joke. Sometimes I think it is too and it puts a big old smile on my face.

I really don't have an exact route, so no real map of an expected route. When I originally planned this trip, I was going to ride to Montana towing the bicycle. Leave the bicycle there and ride the scooter by itself straight to New Mexico and leave it there. A few days before I left I got an invitation in the mail for my friend's wedding which sent me in a completely different direction at a bit faster than expected pace.

After all of the hiking/cycling, I hope to be riding the Ruckus back home (Irvine, CA) around the end of October. I'll be home for around 3 month working and saving a bit more money for the next loops which would be Mexico, Central and South America, and back. For now I'll only be hiking/cycling in Colorado. I'll definitely let you know if I'm in the area and need help.

That's great that you're leaving it open and spontaneous. Enjoy!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:49 pm 
metal wrote:

Sounds similar to the travel program for either Burma or Tibet. Its not a country for a solo traveler to be able to wander around on your own. World's worst amusement park sounds like it could be interesting.

Monkeetime on youtube has a pretty good video series of his trip there, fascinating but depressing.

The amusement park is basically a rectangular tarmac with a few rides, an arcade and a restaurant. You get assigned into groups of 30 or so, then each group gets a specific amount of time at each "attraction"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaNPpufsdhk

48hours of Ruckus Winner
48hours of Ruckus Winner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:11 pm 
Coming through Fort Worth?

Lil Girls Wagon

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 am 
FatKid87 wrote:
Coming through Fort Worth?

I'll be in Dallas (Rockwall) tonight staying with some family. From there I'm heading to Amarillo. I'm not sure if my route will put me through Fort Worth or not.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 am 
So I've got a bit of a tech question. Heading from the Houston area to the Dallas area everything was running fine on the Ruckus. About an hour into the ride I got to a downhill like the hundreds prior, but this time the scooter seemed to hit a wall at about 45mph. I installed a Posh CDI before I started this trip and downhills the scoot would keep accelerating until the temp symbol on the speedo. I too everything apart an couldn't find anything obvious. I rechecked all of the connections and everything is still connected. The bolt that holds my battery in place did fall out, and I'm using my negative battery terminal for my ground. Maybe the shaking battery damaged the cable (can't tell because it has heat shrink covering it). Do these CDI's just stop working after a while? I always thought the stock bikes were rev limited to about 40, so I still have 5mph more than stock.
When I was in Houston, Miguelr did mention something about a different CDI burning out on his bike, and then the next day I'm having problems. Any help is much appreciated.

★TR★Addict★
★TR★Addict★

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:39 am 
How far south are you going through Texas? I'm about 15min from the Mexico border.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:03 am 
este_vato wrote:
How far south are you going through Texas? I'm about 15min from the Mexico border.

I'm in the Dallas area now and heading North and West through Amarillo and then on towards Albuquerque. Unfortunately I'm heading far away from Weslaco.

scooTVdude
scooTVdude
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:20 pm 
Metal.... How many miles is on your Drivetrain???
Belts wear, rollers GET flat spots, riding in lots of dirt??? Air filters GET dirty (did you ride in the rain too???)

-Honest™

My Ruckus is always Faster when I ride by myself
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=67517

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 am 
Honest Mike wrote:
Metal.... How many miles is on your Drivetrain???
Belts wear, rollers GET flat spots, riding in lots of dirt??? Air filters GET dirty (did you ride in the rain too???)

-Honest™

Honest,

The belt and all clutch related stuff are still the original with about 9500 miles. The belt still looks good, but I haven't taken a measurement since I hit the road. Before I left I installed an NCY variator and Dr. D sliders. I've taken the belt cover off a couple of times to clean things out because my kickstarter was getting stuck. Yesterday I decided to pull the variator and clutch. Both drive surfaces have some wear marks on them. The variator was fairy packed with the black powder dust. I'll probably pull the clutch/variator more often to clean them out.
I've been riding a decent amount of dirt and several hundred miles were in the rain. The air filter looked good when I took it out in Kansas. My friend had an air compressor, so I blew it out there.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:08 am 
The rev limit is at about 8800 rpm from my experience... that's on a 2013. I think prior years were slightly lower. No particular speed, just the RPM.

See if you can get up over 8800 rpm?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next