Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: 48 States in 48 Weeks | Begins January 8th, 2014
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:50 pm 
Hey everyone! This is my first post on TotalRuckus.com. Just wanted to tell you a bit about why I'm here and, hopefully connect with some of you throughout the U.S.

Beginning on January 8th, 2014 my friend Myles and I are going to begin a 336 day trip that will take us through each of the lower 48 states. We're starting in Massachusetts on Jan. 8th, and finishing in Maine on Dec. 9th. And, of course, our mode of transportation is the Honda Ruckus.

The reason for our trip is a project we started planning 21 months ago - the American Community Project (ACP). www.ACProject.org

Our mission is to explore hunger needs throughout the United States. We'll be visiting farms, food banks, shelters, schools and other organizations working to end hunger, and we'll be asking questions to try and identify the challenges and the solutions to the hunger issue. We're going to share the things we learn on Facebook, Twitter, our website and our blog.

By expanding our perspective and learning new information, it is our hope to use this knowledge to make improvements in our home community to help strengthen it and increase the standard of living.

Brief Bios:

Dan | 30 years old, born & raised in Maine, former golf professional, worked in marketing at a local credit union in Augusta, Maine. Served a 2-year term as a city councilor in Augusta. I'm looking to enjoy life, have some fun, meet new and interesting people and help where I can.

Myles | 21 years old, born in Massachusetts, raised in Washington state, aspiring writer and journalist. His primary goal for working with the ACP is to use his writing talents for humanitarian purposes by bringing the people, projects and organizations involved with ending hunger into the spotlight.

Check out our website (www.ACProject.org) and our Facebook Page (www.Facebook.com/AmericanCommunityProject).

I hope we've made you curious about our endeavor. We'd love to hear what you think (comments, questions, etc).

We're also trying to plan some group rides. In August 2014 we'll be making a run from Los Angeles, CA to Portland, OR. We'll be heading up Route 101, right along the coast. It'd be pretty cool to have a group of people come with us. Or, if you want to join up with us for any part of the trip let us know. It'd be cool to meet and ride w/ you!

All the best - cheers!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 48 States in 48 Weeks | Begins January 8th, 2014
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:20 pm 
This is a great project and a worthy cause.
The best of luck to the both of you for what I'm sure will be a grand adventure:

After reading some of your site, I have a few questions/ comments.

Have you had much 2 wheel experience?
Done any long distance rides before?
Where do you plan to stay along the route?
Do you have a set route?
What's your plan to carry your gear/spares/fuel/food/tools/etc...?

Also, not to be picky, but you refer to your ruckus as a "moped".
It is not a moped, but a scooter, unless you have attached pedals for some reason.

Keep us updated.

Morphesty 400cc

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:00 pm 
Hi Chuck,

To answer your questions:

Have you had much 2 wheel experience?
No, not much. I got a chance to borrow a Metropolitan for a couple months, but that's the extent of it.

Done any long distance rides before?

My longest one-way ride on a scooter is 25 miles. I've made a handful of long distance drives in a car, but my expectation is that long distance on a scooter is considerably more challenging. Do you have any advice?

Where do you plan to stay along the route?
We're looking at a variety of options. We've got family and friends here and there, connections through our Rotary Club, we're on the Couch Surfing Network, and we've also been receiving offers from friends of friends in the areas we'll be. We're not covered everywhere at this moment, but we're making progress. We also plan on camping in some areas when possible.

Do you have a set route?
We do. Down the east coast to Florida, around the Gulf coast, up into the middle of the country, back down to Texas, then to New Mexico, through Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, back down through AZ and NV to Los Angeles, CA; up the west coast to Washington, then across the northern states until we get back to Maine.

What's your plan to carry your gear/spares/fuel/food/tools/etc...?
We're looking at using a tow-behind trailer (http://www.scootboot.com/) and a backpack. The final load will depend on how the weight affects our speed. We need to maintain an average of 25 MPH for the math to work. We've also selected certain points for gear swaps so we can try and keep the load as light as possible.

Also, not to be picky, but you refer to your ruckus as a "moped".
It is not a moped, but a scooter, unless you have attached pedals for some reason.

Nope, no pedals. I've sent a note to our webmaster asking if we can make that correction. Thanks for pointing that out.

And, thanks for your compliment and questions!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:34 pm 
I'm sure there are many others on here with better advice, buy the first thing I'd do is read these 2 posts about 2 of the more famous cross country treks:

the first is about a chap named Wan who did this sort of thing solo:
viewtopic.php?f=67&t=12143

and another named Tom who also has charitable ambitions:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=67204

Morphesty 400cc

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:48 pm 
Much respect for both of you. Would love to meet up with u guys in VA. We, S-Motion Garage, would love to offer u guys free service on anything if u guys stop by our shop. Ill do any tune up,maintain, ect. Please anything let us know.

*****2-strokes Vanilla Shake in the making(S-Motion Garge/SparkleMotion)****

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:03 pm 
I strongly suggest that both of you attend a motorcycle safety class before trying this. I wish you the best of luck and would like to know when you're in Maryland.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Kitchen mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:41 pm 
I'd say it's absolutely necessary to get endorsed before you attempt this. There are plenty of states you'll be passing through that require you to have an endorsement, and you will most likely be pulled over a number of times, even if it's just out of curiosity.

On top of that I strongly suggest you guys do some dry day runs. If you haven't spent more than 25 miles on a bike at a time, you really have no idea what you're biting off, physically speaking. Good luck to you, though!

GET EVIL 66.6cc build

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:47 pm 
Exercise your back, neck and mind. Long rides can take a toll on your body. Music may be a must. I know on a good day here in the Flats of Texas you can go 300+ miles in 10-12 hours. I've done it before (alone and with others). Give us a heads up before you get to Houston (if you get the chance to stop here). We can maybe arrange a ride when y'all get here. I'll be willing to open up my living room of my apartment where y'all can stay at and the Ruck's can rest in the dining room with my Met :lol:

Riders Ride and share a few beers for a good cause!! :beers:

Also, if' y'all don't mind (and if work permits) I would love to tag along and see what you guys are doing.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:08 pm 
much respect to you lads, hopefully i get a chance to see, meet and ride with you chaps. gonna have to keep my ears open when you pass by ND, AZ, and CA.

2006 Honda Ruckus GET

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 pm 
Thanks everyone for your comments, advice and offers for help! We'll certainly keep you posted as we progress.

Dan

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:22 am 
Great idea. Looks like a heck of an adventure.
Though this 1st said 48states in 48 days and though ya were nuts.. 48 weeks sounds waaay more doable- :D

sounds like a blast.

Ruck-U, Minnesota Chapter
HRGC Racing
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=84764&p=1454401#p1454401

Duckwing and keygaurd guy

n00bie

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:02 pm 
I hope you guys luck. Logistically, A trip like this is not too bad, specifically since you know your destination city. A few advice to make the trip goes smoothly, some are necessary, some are not.

Riding safety and avoidance of tickets:
1. Get a motorcycle license if you don't have one. Some state may require it and it should be pretty easy to pass on a scooter
2. Register/tag the scooter anyway, even if your state don't require it.
3. Get insurance, I have liability only insurance on my ruckus for $25/yr. save you the trouble of going to court to get the ticket throw out.

Routing logistic:
1. Get a TomTom GPS. It has a feature to route you with limited speed. in this case, set it to 35 mph and also choose to route thru unpaved roads. This will set you down some of the most interesting roads.
2. Plan for no more than 200 miles per day. I've done 200 miles, but a more pleasant day will be around 120 miles.
3. Install a 12-volt cig plug to charge your phone and GPS.

The rest should be straight forward. I hope you guy do well and maybe see you down the road.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:37 am 
Any updates?

Add: Nevermind, facebook. ;)

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:06 am 
I hope this gets updated for those of us that hate Facebook.

If you read this, I'll be paying attention when you hit the west coast, especially the Portland, OR area!

'The Darkness'

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:10 am 
awsome :popcorn: