Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Kroon's "Fuck it we'll do it live" Road Trip
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:36 pm 
Yeah i just got home and showered. 16 hours on the road. Me very sleepy I'll post the other pics and a couple stories tomorrow when i'm not dead.

They involve kicking a deer in the ass at 50mph and a white girl with the name "Afrodite" It was spelled that way on her nametag.... I was honestly at a lost for words.

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
So i woke up around 8am Friday morning and was out and on the road by 9am. and headed towards roswell. The path that i had planned out prior wasn't the one i ended up taking. This is the more accurate path.

The "B" marker is Goldthwaite, TX It is ~100 miles from Austin. It wasn't a planned stop but because i decided to bounce out of Austin at around 5pm the humidity and traffic was brutal so i just got on the road after getting the oil changed and gassed up. This is where the previous post of the big ruck in the hotel room was. I wired up a 12v Cig adaptor to the battery as well since i was getting maybe three hours of battery life on the phone using it for music and GPS nonstop. It worked like a champ, i just had the USB cable going out the bottom of my jacket and plugged in to the adaptor. :banger:

Also Picked up a magnetic Tank bag and a new set of mirrors, They stock ones were gone and they put on these god awful ones on it, I couldn't see shit out of them. I got my road map all setup in the tankbag. A Protip for everyone, If you pull your bike into the hotel room and keep the AC running full blast, It has a hard time starting the next morning. It was around 50 in the room when i woke up.

I realized that if i wanted to get back home in a couple days i should do more riding and less time updating this, Hence the reason for the lack of updates (I won't lie, i missed my woman) I tried to find a windshield had a motorcycle shop in Brownwood TX and they had nothing that would fit, The wind was murder. I started to just stop and rest in this little town called Winters, Their school mascot was a tornado, it seemed fitting since i was getting hit with cross winds all day.

In Post TX is when i stopped going north and started to head west, I was on the home stretch for the day and was making good time. I found a store named after me and had to double back for a picture. I also stopped in at the McDonalds for a midday food break, I was starving and kept forgetting to eat on this trip, Or i would get a snack eat half of it and toss the rest so i could get back on the road. I got a huge meal with a milkshake, It was freezing cold and delicious, Ended up talking to a couple that was touring from Iowa on their gold wing for a bit while i ate.

Now I'm not sure if there wasn't a sign for the NM state line or if i was just dehydrated and didn't notice it But once i realized I had crossed over into a new state i pulled over at the first rest stop to take a picture. Now i knew i was dehydrated when took a piss and it was dark neon yellow. I downed the 20oz bottle of water i had in the backpack at this point and took a quick 5 min break.

It was also at this point that i realized that i was getting sunburned in a couple very odd spots, The back of my neck was a little raw but it is fine now, The real sunburn is on my hands. I bought new gloves for the trip but left them in the trunk of my mom's car by accident. The little tears turned into big tears and this is what my hands look like now, The left is worse than the right. Now on this the left mark is where the tear on my gloves was, The right mark is the opening formed when i put the gloves on. All of the small dots are the vent holes on the leather. I kept sunscreen on my hands as best as i could for the rest of the trip, but most of the damage was done.

I got into Roswell, NM around 6 pm and rode past a large motorcycle shop, I turned around to see if it was open. It closed at 6pm It was 6:21pm, fuck no windshield to be had today. Most everything was closed and I wanted to find a bed and crash. I had planned on staying in a expensive/fancy hotel so i could make use of the painfully comfy beds that they have but the GPS was have a hell of a time getting me there and when I passed "The Western Inn" I saw it had a Pool and small motel rooms, I was sold. Pulled the Bike into the room, cranked the A/C and hopped in the pool, It was freezing cold and glorious.

I had a hard time sleeping even though i was exhausted and didn't get to bed still around midnight-1am, I think knowing i was on the home stretch kept me up. I was awake at 5:30 and was ready to take advantage of the free waffles and OJ the hotel had starting at 6am. I didn't want to sit around for three hours and see if the motorcycle shop had a windscreen, That was 3 hours of riding dammit! :wasted:

Now i had planned on taking the I-10 West home but changed my mind at the last second because the US-60 west was 50 less miles distance wise, so this was the path i ended up taking.

It was through a canyon and a forest and the high country of AZ, I figured I could use the 6am start to ride in the cold weather and by the time i got into AZ i would still be in the high country to still be riding in the cool weather for the majority part of the day, and it was I found the town where Billy the kid escaped from the courthouse and a smokey the bear museum. I didn't stop because...well i wanted to keep riding. I do kind of regret that now, But i didn't want to have to spend money for another hotel room and i just wanted to get home, I did feel rushed and i shouldn't of. I did get to see the Courthouse from the road and it looked sweet. I did stop at a historical marker for it and took a picture to send to my dad.

Now I knew this was the Old west highway and it wouldn't be as perfectly straight so i was a bit shocked to spend a good hour going in a straight line i stopped to take a picture of just the road going into the horizon.

I did pull over to snap a picture of the VLA (Very Large Array)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_Large_Array It kinda snuck up on me and when i realized it was the antenna array I've seen most sci-fi movies as a kid i couldn't stop quick enough, The picture didn't turn out that great it was quite a ways away.

The last gas stop before hitting Arizona was in a tiny one stop town, The cafe,gas station,grocery store, library that i stopped in and chatted with a father/son that were heading to oklahoma from Phoenix, The dad was on a cruiser, the son on a sports bike. Both with giant yellow Wan style bags strapped on I let them know about the deer i saw on the side of the road, they gave me the heads up on the cross winds. This place also had this sweet machine in the bathroom.

I was close to the Arizona border and took a break at a roadside trash can and had to take a picture of the view.

The way i came,

Across the road.

I hit the AZ border and was joyed to be back in the state. Wan Style picture had to be taken, but i had no tripod so i couldn't be in it. I also was followed by the Arizona cop that was chilling just across the border for a solid 20 miles. I don't think he knew what to make of the big ruck and eventually turned around and let me be. :banger:

From here i Pretty much stopped taking pictures, but remember how this way was 50 miles shorter? Well I didn't factor in the canyon crawl outside of globe.. Lets take a quick look at it

It was like this for hours... Up and down canyon walls crawling along... It was brutal. Once i got out of globe the sun was dead in my eyes but Atleast i was on a highway I had been on before. It was about 7pm when i got into Mesa I stopped in at my parents house for two reasons. I was exhausted and sweaty as all get out, and people in phoenix don't turn their headlights on at dusk so i wanted to wait till it got dark to make the last 30 miles to my house. My dad loves the bike like always, I called the woman to let her know i was back in town and would be home shortly.

I pulled into the driveway and told her "Babe! I brought you a gallon of gas from Austin TX!" I never did use it but it was nice to have incase i needed it...

Here she is all tucked in the garage next the little ruckus

It had 700 Miles on it when i picked it up. The dealer though i was crazy, everyone did. It was my first time on a 250cc, first time on a motorcycle road trip, and i did it alone... ~1200 miles in two days. The second day was a solid 15 hours on the road All of sunday i felt hungover and exhausted after a good meal and lots of naps i feel much better today. I went out and got the bike registered and plated for AZ today. I now know that i can do 600 miles in a day on it, But i wouldn't want to do it again anytime soon.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:21 am 
Each ruck I have bought was far away and I drove them home, but none were on this scale. The journey definitely adds to the value of the bike... even if it makes you look a little crazy. hah!

Looks like it was an awesome trip!

Thanks for sharing it

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:06 pm 
Good read!

'The Darkness'

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:08 pm 
Next long trip will be a much slower speed. I passed up so many things i wish i had time to visit but i only took a couple days off work and wanted to get home asap....that and i was riding psudo-dirty the entire way :wasted: