Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111  Next

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Shop mechanic
 Post subject: Re: 3 Countries, 10K+ miles, 1 man charity ride
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 am 
Here,s a better pic of the pipe distance

2013 Ruckus GET 50

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 am 
We have missed you Tom. hope to read more wen 2.0 happenes. Looks like I'm gonna have to pull out some Vienna links to remember the good ol posts lol

*Project Mr. Green Build:

*My Facebook

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:15 am 
I just spent the last 2 days reading this thread. (I only got my Ruckus in January of this year, so I wasn't aware of TR.com until then.)

What an amazing journey! I cannot believe how far you made it on a lil' ol' Ruckus pulling a trailer in 3 months. My insides tell me I have a lot more awesome things to say about this story, but I can't find the words to express my thoughts.

All I can offer is help on Journey II. If you come anywhere through central Ohio (I live near Marysville, close to Columbus), I can offer you a place to stay and tools to work on your rig.

I have never said his to anyone before, but I also had issues similar to yours when I was a kid. I guess I'm still not ready to talk about it.

Happy trails, Tom. Please keep us in posted.

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:52 am 
OK Tom....we are all ready to hear from you again. I think I can speak for everyone when I say we are all anxious for any and all updates concerning JTS pt.2
I'm sure you're busy as hell, but I am dying to hear about your new itinerary and details. Hope you are doing much better than before and stay strong brother cause we are all still with you and your journey.
:banger:

2013 Ruckus GET 50

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:25 pm 
TOM are you coming out to SuperSunday? :banger:

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:20 am 
tburick495 wrote:
Thanks for the enthusiastic "welcome back". :D

STILL gettin a laugh out of that casserole....you're a better man than me for trying it :mrgreen:

Glad to hear from you. Would love some of my TR family to meet up w me in North Dakota...

The trailer production thing has been a lot of fun...I love designing and building stuff. If the whole thing ends up being a go, I may try to have one of the new trailers built and ready for JFS 2.0...we'll see :D

T

SO glad to see you back Tom!!!
I haven't been on here much since you went awol, now that you are back, I'm back! :banger:
Can't wait for you to roll through NOLA, we'll do $2 tacos again! :beers:
Hit me up when you GET a chance.
Chad

tiller1k's Ruck

N.O.LA Ruckus Society

journeyfromsilence

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:40 am 
So I have been waiting for Tom to start the 2nd half of the trip...what has happened? I have looked but either it is posted under a different title or he hasn't started it yet...?? :popcorn:

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:40 pm 
Hondamatic wrote:
So I have been waiting for Tom to start the 2nd half of the trip...what has happened? I have looked but either it is posted under a different title or he hasn't started it yet...?? :popcorn:

It hasn't started yet brother....hold onto yer britches. Tom hasn't made an appearance in a while but I'm sure he's planning details for JTS 2.0 as we speak :banger:

2013 Ruckus GET 50

On a mission!
On a mission!

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 pm 
Hello Everyone!

I just wanted to touch base with myTR family :)

It's getting late into April and I wanted to let everyone know that I just can't finish the journey this summer. I would have posted this sooner, but as you can imagine, I've spent a lot of time agonizing over the decision. I wanted to be 100% sure before I posted this.

I had to make an extremely difficult decision…finish the journey or go to school and get a degree. I want to be a robotics educator…and without a degree that's virtually impossible. I applied for dozens of technical teaching positions and nobody would accept me without a bachelors degree. My extensive resume (heavy on robotics experience) did not mean much without a degree behind it. So I made the decision to get a formal education.

With that said, I would like to talk about what the journey did for me. I've had 8 months to reflect on this and I've come to some realizations.

One thing I realized a long time ago is that I was "frozen" inside at age 14. I never was able to emotionally mature past that age because of the abuse. It's strange being in your early 40's on the outside and being a 14 year old boy on the inside. It causes a multitude of issues in your daily life.

I was speaking to my trauma counselor a couple months back and she had commented that I seemed different since the journey. She had the foresight to ask me "Tom, how old are you"? (knowing that my previous answer had always been 14). I thought about it for a few minutes and had a profound realization. I said "Tina, I am an 18 year old man". Hearing those words come out of my own mouth was a massive step forward in my life.

What I realized is that the Journey broke the chain of that anchor that held me back. I think about the Journey every single day...and it has largely replaced the traumatizing thoughts with extremely uplifting moments of healing that I experienced those three months on the road with all of you.

I have said it a thousand times…but I COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS JOURNEY WITHOUT ALL OF YOU. The good people on Total Ruckus made this journey possible for me. I knew I had a nationwide support network behind me and THAT is one of the major reasons I found the courage to do it.

It feels exciting and wonderful a little scary to finally be an adult. I'm in uncharted territory now…finally able to "begin" my life as a grown man.

Funny that I am 18 on the inside and starting college in the fall…college seems like a completely appropriate place for me to be.

Also…I have the option to finish the journey anytime I chose…maybe after school (two and a half years from now), maybe if I get laid-off in a future job, or maybe when I retire. Who knows…the option will always be mine.

AND - I am in no way finished with TR…lol. I will be selling my Ruck and cart but am keeping my Metropolitan…and I am continuing to work on my scooter cargo trailer idea on the side. So lots more posts in the future.

If I could ask ONE THING from everyone on TR is to keep this miracle rolling in your daily lives. Think about my act of climbing on to a Honda Ruckus and trying to ride 10,000 miles to effect change. One small act of goodness can snowball into a powerful force of LOVE and CHANGE. This whole thing has it's roots in Wan's original journey. WAN, YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL!...thank you for showing me that one small person can change the world.

As far as the donations that were collected from the Journey…I was able to raise a total of $1,500. So each of the three charities will receive $500 (Stop It Now, Joyful Heart Foundation, Horry County Rape Crisis Center)

I LOVE YOU GUYS and thank you again for your kindness, hospitality, and support throughout my journey. If you'll remember, my original map was in the shape of a heart...I just looked at the map again, and realized that the distance I covered makes a 7,330 mile "V" for VICTORY.

Tom

Josh: Oh, that's right, you don't like Vienna Sausages because you don't like hot dogs.
Tom: I don't like Vienna Sausages because I don't like Vienna Sausages...it has nothing to do with not liking hot dogs.

Ghosts
Ghosts
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:58 pm 
Tom.. WOW.. good to see you back.. just read your post.. all I can say is take your time and do what you feel is right.. as for selling your ruckus.. why not finish your journey by having others ride your ruckus from town to town and keep your ride going.. i am sure people would love to help you continue the journey or atleast have your ruckus finish the journey.. just an idea.. :)

have a vienna sausage for ole time sake :)

Hobbies ==>Youtube - Photography <==

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:43 pm 
TOM!
I logged on and searched for this thread, no particular reason, just knew I needed to check it.
So glad to hear you are doing well.
I remember talking to you about teaching robotics, doing what you love AND helping/teaching others.
I know you will make it back to NOLA eventually, you are always welcome back in my home.
I was telling my wife the other day that we were going to do $2 tacos for you!
Hit me up when you GET a chance.

VICTORY!

tiller1k's Ruck

N.O.LA Ruckus Society

journeyfromsilence

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:37 pm 
Hey everyone i'm on vacation in Phoenix and look who I ran into I got to hang with Tom for the day. when my buddy flew in and told me he was just down the street I zipped over to say hello and we had some lunch and went to some cool places. Enjoy the pictures just thought i'd give an up date he's doing awesome work out here. :banger:
http://imgur.com/a/LrewQ

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:10 pm 
Thanks for sharing the photos.
Cool, I'm glad Tom is doing well. :cool:

Sent from my HTC One

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:19 pm 
WonderBread wrote:
Hey moderators, can someone please remove that hate-filled, black mark of a post that penguin420 posted?!?!?! This thread is nothing but a positive, uplifting example of Tom's journey and people coming together to benefit a good cause. Get that post off here, PLEASE!!

I agree wholeheartedly...I just recently started looking for a scooter forum to learn more about my Ruckus and decided to sign up here, largely because of this thread and Tom's story. But this post is just really dragging down your thread and MORESO dragging down your website since THIS IS ONE OF THE FIRST THREADS THAT SHOWS UP IN A GOOGLE SEARCH OF RUCKUS FORUMS!!!!!

Now I'm wondering if this site is really the right choice where a hateful post in such a loving, heartfelt thread can be left to stand, and a user's request to have it removed or at LEAST addressed will go unanswered.

I only have experience with three other forums online, but all three gave me extensive knowledge of how the mods' actions can contribute/detract from the viability and enjoyability of a forum, and I have to say I'm impressed by the lack of action/response from these mods.

Regardless, congrats to you Tom, despite not finishing the route or hitting your fundraising goal it sounds like your journey was the right thing for you and enjoyed by many here on the forum!

Donkey Puncher
Donkey Puncher
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:34 pm 
Sure thing bossman!

It was all cleaned up a long time ago, but someone had quoted one line of Penguin's BS in later post so it was reposted and missed from the bulk of his ramblings.
There is also a SNITCH button on the corner of every post and it wasn't reported.
Sorry, but 100 pages in one thread and 23,000 members keeps the few of us very busy.

Morphesty 400cc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111  Next