Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Anyone running the CBR this year??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:08 am 
I wish I could go this year, but they still be hatin on the bigger maxi scoots so unless someone lets me trade my TMAX in for a smaller bike I'd be all in. Or perhaps I can persuade the organizers to allow me in if I put some weights in the variator to knock my top end down to around 80 so I wouldn't be able to outrun the 250 bikes :mrgreen: So are any of you veteran cannonballers or anyone in general planning on making the trek? If so keep us updated.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Anyone running the CBR this year??
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:12 am 
Edit:

I just looked on the CBR forums and apparently it's not til 2010 again!! I might actually have a shot at being in this thing yet!!!
:banger:

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:48 am 
JimT has signed on for the 2010 run on the CBR forum.......
I haven't decided yet.

2010 will be a northern route, run along the Canadian border, crossing the border several times.

as you mentioned, 252cc is still the biggest engine allowed and personally, I think they're onto something there....
even the 250s are almost too fast for this type of ride, using secondary roads.

there's no limit on engine size to ride the CBR in a support or tourist capacity, but if you're running for points 252cc is the max.
what I learned from the first ride is that to place in the points, you need a very light scooter, auxiliary fuel tank and a dedicated support team. You need to be willing to reconfigure the variator for the roads each day.

Excluding the 2T Vespa P200 manuals, all of the top runners in the 250 class had a dedicated support team carrying a generous supply of spare parts, belts, tools, tires pre-mounted on spare rims, etc.

Like with most forms of automotive competition, lots of money can definitely give you an edge! :D

It would be interesting to see it done without any formal support teams......carry your own spares and go for it!
The more durable your bike, the better your chances. The rider is also the mechanic.

It would change the entire format of the ride, but there would be stragglers showing up all through the night and some scoots would be hopelessly lost in the backroad mazes of mid-America, never to be seen again. :|

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

One of Us
One of Us

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:16 am 
cannonball is weak. It should be the rider, bike and all their crap together with no help/support.

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:57 pm 
In this kind of event, it's nice to have a sweep vehicle to haul in the breakdowns and stragglers, but support can have many meanings.

As far as the endurance part of the CBR, the Hondas change the entire concept of the CBR by redefining endurance.......
if properly prepped for the ride, a Honda scooter should cross the continent without the need for maintenance or spares.
You can change the oil if you like, but the cross country ride is within the normal maintenance interval for a Honda water cooled 4 stroke.
Barring difficulties, if everything was new at the start, a Ruck should make this trip without spares...
but flats happen!

Tires are the main question mark.....a punctured tire can become worthless regardless of it's miles.

If I do try it again, I will have F&R spare tires, premounted on rims!
..... just like the Big Boys!! :lol:

I'd love to see a Ruckus class...it's been discussed before but no takers so far.

Now if we could just organize a dedicated TR support team to follow the Ruck riders in a truck and haul their spares, a Team TR/Honda for the Rucks and Big Rucks would have a competitive edge!

We just need a wealthy sponsor? :wasted:

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams