Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
 Post subject: Re: Dynatek CDI Installed...problem??
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:01 am 
stratocasterdave wrote:
Well, I finally got the CDI back from Dynatek. They said they couldn't figure out the problem. They sent me a new one. Installed it per the instructions. No go. They recoemnded soldering the unions. Still no start (even with brand new battery). Jason was very helpful in diagnosing. Ran through eveything. At some point you got to say, forget it.

At this point I want to give up on the Dynatek. Unfortunatly, they can't refund me because I didn't buy it from them.

I havn't heard from BattleScooter yet. I'm told that Battlescooter DOES NOT refund electronic parts.

$170 paper weight.

Read my post on this. Battlescooter will not return your calls, take the product back or issue any type of refund, full or partial. At least that was my experience.

Mine worked for about 6 weeks and died. Returned to stock configuration and it worked fine. Battlescooter refused to help so I called Dynatek. They were very helpful, took it back, tested it, sent me a new one, told me the old one tested fine. No Bueno. They worked me on the phone to try and diagnose the problem. They were probably one of the most helpful vendors I have ever dealt with, but to no avail. My Met ran fine in stock configuration but would not run with the Dynatek wired excatly as it had been for the 6 weeks that it ran fine. All wires were soldered.

I bought a used Posh w/no rev limit and a tiny tach to keep an eye on the rpm's. I have never been able to get it over 10,300rpm. Maybe a giant hill would do it but they don't exist here. Good conditions can produce 10,200 rpm for extended periods (5-10 min at a time) with no issues. I have never had a problem with the Posh. I bought it used from a TR member for $100. I bought another one used for $100 for the last Met I built, no issues with it.

I have to believe there may be an issue with the Dynatek for the Ruck/Met from all the "same issue" problems that appear on TR. Do a Dynatek search and start reading.

I have no use for Battlescooter. I read such great things about them but the few times I purchased parts from them their customer service SUCKED. This guy Jason I always hear about NEVER returned a single call (and I left close to 20 messages).

Dynatek actually refunded my $ in the form of a check for what I payed Battlescooter for the product. I actually hated to do it after they were so helpful, but I just could not get it to work on my Met. My suggestion is to buy a Posh without the rev limiter and install a tach. I will be interested to see if you resolve the issue.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:41 am 
My Dynatek was installed per instructions, and it seems to drain the battery still. Was letting it idle to check belt wear at idle, smoke a few cigs, and then poof, ruckus shuts itself down. Just spent 4 hours on an all-nighter troubleshooting. Thought the vario was too tight or something and was binding the belt, and wouldn't let the starter turn, checked spark plug, tried other ones, took the vario and clutch off I don't know how many times, charged the battery a while, finally disconnected the Dynatek and poof, it works.

I have a feeling this thing is thirsty for juice when the key is turned on (I'm assuming this thing is on keyed power per instructions, which is how I have it installed, soldered instead of T-clamped). I don't even...

Considering a Posh 10.5 instead of this thing.

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:31 pm 
I'd had my Dynatek for almost 2 years, I always thought I was one of the lucky few who got a good one. I went out yesterday to go for a ride, and as soon as I turned the key on, I heard a sizzle and smelled burning plastic. Switched it off real quick and looked under the seat, and there was smoke pouring from the CDI. :pissed: I removed it and changed back to stock, and she fired right up. I guess I'm lucky it didn't fry anything else!

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

The way it should be
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:57 pm 
oldfart55 wrote:
I'd had my Dynatek for almost 2 years, I always thought I was one of the lucky few who got a good one. I went out yesterday to go for a ride, and as soon as I turned the key on, I heard a sizzle and smelled burning plastic. Switched it off real quick and looked under the seat, and there was smoke pouring from the CDI. :pissed: I removed it and changed back to stock, and she fired right up. I guess I'm lucky it didn't fry anything else!

mother of god, today seems like a bad luck ruck day...i bent my rear wheel smacking a curb after i got cut off today. in the market for a replacement, and will also beware my cdi a little more after that sizzle story. yikes.

Space Docker
Space Docker

2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:51 pm 
uberbania wrote:
oldfart55 wrote:

mother of god, today seems like a bad luck ruck day...i bent my rear wheel smacking a curb after i got cut off today. in the market for a replacement, and will also beware my cdi a little more after that sizzle story. yikes.

The Ruckus gods were angry that day :pissed: I headed on out after removing the CDI, and about 15 minutes into my ride, the Temp light came on. I let it cool off and limped it home. Coolant is full and no signs of a leak. I guess now I get to learn how to change a Ruckus thermostat :(

n00bie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:36 pm 
I had the same problem. My Dynatek CDI for my '02 Met worked fine for 3 days before I went to start it this morning. I cranked her up with my electric starter but she sounded like a cammed-out V8. Within seconds the engine was dead, along with the battery. Kickstarts couldnt even get it to start. After checking all the soldered and heat shrunk connections, even swapping grounds, I quickly reverted to my old ignition cable that was still laying along side it and it fired right up. I could even swap over to the Dynatek CDI rather quickly and it would keep running as if everything were normal. But as soon as it turned off, it was dead all over again. After putting my old ignition wire back on and riding around for 10 minutes, my battery was charged again and started with my old ignition and electric start without a single hitch. I came to the conclusion the Dynatek is sucking up power at a rate the battery can't charge either because the wiring diagrams supplied for installation are incorrect, or its just not meant for this model. Not only that, but it appeared the Dynatek required a charged battery to even operate because not even the stator generated electricity from the kickstart could get it going, unlike the standard ignition. I was given these instructions (in black and white of course) from battlescooter when i received my order.
http://www.zadefaraj.com/other/metropolitan/dynatek.pdf

Then after explaining my predicament, oddly enough I received a different diagram.
http://www.zadefaraj.com/other/metropolitan/dynametcdi.jpg

They look the same to me, but don't explain anything. Any ideas what the black/white wire feeds aside from the tapped CDI?

n00bie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:27 pm 
Also, and this just hit me. When we are wiring up our CDI's, why are they being 'tapped' into an existing line? For instance, the pulser on the stator (the blue/yellow wire to blue/yellow wire). Is there a purpose for splitting it and leaving half of it still running to the ECM?

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:25 am 
I know this is an old thread, but I thought I'd add this for new Ruck owners like myself.

I was at mnnthbx Friday picking up a bunch of goodies and one of those goodies was the dynatech CDI. They gave me this link to the installation instructions.

http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Ins ... 01397a.pdf

They all claim to really like these CDIs and haven't had any problems with them wired this way. I will be installing mine today. I'm going to take it for a quick ride after just to be sure I didn't make any mistakes. Then the ruck is coming back in the garage and I'll start on my intake, exhaust, and jet kit.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:52 am 
my dynatek from mnnthbx worked fine.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Sith Slayer
Sith Slayer
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:08 am 
I'd be willing to bet at least 99% of cdi issues is wiring error.

49cc-Sith Slayer-Mechanically disadvantaged-130 rear/2 shoe clutch
66cc-Annakin
49cc-2007 Honda Metropolitan- gonna make it super cute, build thread to come

Its easier to tell the truth than to defend a lie.......for some.

75/49 Founder