Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Dynatek CDI Installed...problem??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
I recently installed the Dynatek black box CDI from battlescooter... Since then, each time I have tried to start it using the electric start, it has turned over weaker and weaker until now where I no longer hear the click noise coming from the battery box. I suspect that my battery is dead(charger is on it's way in the mail), but I want to rule out starter/stator frying for my peace of mind. background: scooter worked perfectly before CDI install, start has felt weak and doesn't work well in the cold, tail light turns on when key is in on position and gets brighter when brake is depressed, when the start was switched back to stock it also would not start the bike but still turn over weakly. Do aftermarket CDI's use more power or something? Oh, and once I get this sorted out I'll describe the CDI performance... so far hitting mid-led downhill on my '07(3000 miles) with polini variator, 6g weights, fresh belt.

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: Dynatek CDI Installed...problem??
PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm 
If it was still turning over then the stator isn't burned out. Since it was cranking slow, I'm wondering if you maybe wired it up wrong and have a constant draw on the battery. Double check your wiring first.

Z125 Crew
Builds: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=65407

Space Docker
Space Docker
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:51 am 
Put a Dynatek on my Met and had similar issues. Worked great for a while and then just quit. Put wiring back to stock configuration and bypassed Dynatek box, worked fine. dynatek replaced the box (Battlescooter was no help) couldn't get it to start with new box. Dynatek said they tested 1st box I returned and found it to be in perfect working order. They were incredibly helpful and patient with me, couldn't have asked for better customer service. In the end I returned the replacement for a refund (that I received in an incredibly short time) and bought a Posh with unlimited revs (really wanted a limiter, that's why I bought the Dynatek). Haven't had a problem since. Hope you get yours to work. As helpful as they were I felt really bad giving up and returning it but my scooter is my daily driver and I couldn't take a chance on being stranded. BTW, I did buy a new battery and battery tender jr. which I keep my scoot plugged in to every night. starts 1st crank every time now.

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:20 am 
dont know about the dynatek but i had a posh on my GET and in my research found that you could possibly burn out your electric start if it's wired a certain way. I had an 03 and that was one of the years that if you wired it according to the directions the electric start could burn out. To fix the problem i wired the power wire for the cdi to a diferent power wire that came off my tail light i beleive. I wired it up like that and never had ANY issue at all. Possibly try this with your cdi and see if it makes any diference.

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:26 am 
I have the same Dynatek on my 08. If you used the T-connectors that come with it, I highly recommend trashing them and soldering the connections. Also, I wasn't getting a good ground through the bolt, would crank and crank and never start. I had to scrape off some paint so the ground wire terminal was making direct contact to bare metal on the frame. CDI has worked great ever since, and after I lowered my variator weights to take advantage of the extra rpm's, I actually went PAST the led for the first time ever on level ground, although admittedly with a pretty good tailwind.

Based on my own experience, and what I've read on here, the T-connectors can't really be trusted to make good contact. Other than these two things, I wired it exactly like the instructions.

Somewhere on here I found a link to some large, color pics of the installation diagram, much easier to see than the dark, shadowy ones that came with the CDI. Can't find the link now, though.......

Last edited by oldfart55 on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:44 am 
update:
I have checked/re-checked/re-re-checked connections, and everything seems correct/t-taps are making contact. Now when I turn on the scooter in new or stock configuration, a few funny things happen... 1. the fuel pump takes like 15 pumps or more to prime 2. when i depress the brake my speedometer dims as well as the brake lights 3. when the starter button is pushed I hear rapid clicking from the battery box and all my lights flash and the fuel pump starts clicking again. I have put the bike on a 1w solar charger, but now I'm wondering if the battery is just toast (I have to park it in a lot without outlets). I will try starting it later today after it has been charging for a while. It bugs me though that everything worked before the CDI install...

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:41 pm 
I have allowed the scooter AMPle time to charge(3-4 hours), which seemed to help the power to the lights and make it turn over slightly(with cdi/stock coil) but its dead again now... looks like that charger (1 amp) is too weak. Could I "jump" the ruck with a car in any way? Maybe its just time to get a new battery... I also figured out that the clicking is coming from one or both of the 12 volt power relays that plug into the wiring harness. Also, I shaved the paint away from the frame where the CDI was grounded. On a separate note, the kick start was jamming, and when I took it apart I couldn't get the spindle to turn the gear even with the spring removed. Should this normally have grease on it or something? Thanks everyone for the help so far!

I'm planning on ordering a new battery... it just baffles me that things seemed fine before the CDI install and they don't now (I bought the scooter used with 800 miles and it has the og battery from 2007)

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:30 pm 
wseelos wrote:
I have allowed the scooter AMPle time to charge(3-4 hours), which seemed to help the power to the lights and make it turn over slightly(with cdi/stock coil) but its dead again now... looks like that charger (1 amp) is too weak. Could I "jump" the ruck with a car in any way? Maybe its just time to get a new battery... I also figured out that the clicking is coming from one or both of the 12 volt power relays that plug into the wiring harness. Also, I shaved the paint away from the frame where the CDI was grounded. On a separate note, the kick start was jamming, and when I took it apart I couldn't get the spindle to turn the gear even with the spring removed. Should this normally have grease on it or something? Thanks everyone for the help so far!

I'm planning on ordering a new battery... it just baffles me that things seemed fine before the CDI install and they don't now (I bought the scooter used with 800 miles and it has the og battery from 2007)

Sounds too much like my experience. I even soldered all the wires. My met ran fine for about 3 weeks and then just qquit. Wouldnt start again with the cdi. I suggest you disconnect it temporarily, return to stock configuration and try to start it. If it starts and runs fine (as mine did) you know your problem is with the cdi?

"Never run out of real estate, traction and ideas at the same time." - Mario Andretti

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm 
It was the battery. 'nuff said. Now to tune the weights and solder/clean up the CDI connections...

n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:50 pm 
wseelos wrote:
It was the battery. 'nuff said. Now to tune the weights and solder/clean up the CDI connections...

So, I'm currious what became of all of this. Are you running with the Dynatek right now? I am having the same exact problems as you on my 2005
ruckus.

Thanks

Space Docker
Space Docker

The way it should be Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:59 pm 
Seems like I've seen a lot of posts on here about people having trouble with the Dynatek. :pissed: Am I just one of the lucky few who got a good one?
I've had my Dynatek for about 3000 miles, and have never had one issue with it. It did help performance, too, once I realized (with some help from TR) that I needed lighter weights to take advantage of the extra revs.

Has anyone else had GOOD results with the Dynatek, or am I the only one? :meh:

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:36 pm 
update: the only problem was that my battery had died the instant I installed the CDI... otherwise it has been awesome! My weights have worn down over the last thousand miles or so, so the ruck hits the rev limiter around 45 but the acceleration is fantastic. I only hit the rev limit bombing hills, so the limiter makes it easier to not risk engine damage. Moral of the story: before modding, make sure everything else is solid... I believe that my battery was barely functioning prior to the install, and as for the problem with the crank not turning, I was low on oil and had a ton of debris inside of my variator. On a side note, the rev limit isn't very smooth, and the engine sounds insane in the high rpms. maybe its just me though... oh well

edit: I am currently using 5.5g weights(hand filed from 6g by me)

n00bie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:19 am 
[quote="wseelos"]update: the only problem was that my battery had died the instant I installed the CDI... otherwise it has been awesome! quote]

So, wseelos, the batt was the problem? My Ruckus starts perectly in stock mode. With the Dynatek installed (mind you I am certian the connections are good, soldered, good clean ground...) it feels like a low or dead battery. Or like a bad connection.

I sent the cdi back and Dynatek said the unit is in working order. Before I spend the dough on the new batt I thought I'd check with you.

Thanks.

dave

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:06 pm 
For me it was the battery. If you scooter was turning over weakly but not starting, I would infer that you need a new battery. If you want to be certain, you could simply charge your battery up using a tender or solar charger, which is a good thing to own anyway. Let me know if that helps at all

n00bie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:51 pm 
Well, I finally got the CDI back from Dynatek. They said they couldn't figure out the problem. They sent me a new one. Installed it per the instructions. No go. They recoemnded soldering the unions. Still no start (even with brand new battery). Jason was very helpful in diagnosing. Ran through eveything. At some point you got to say, forget it.

At this point I want to give up on the Dynatek. Unfortunatly, they can't refund me because I didn't buy it from them.

I havn't heard from BattleScooter yet. I'm told that Battlescooter DOES NOT refund electronic parts.

$170 paper weight.