Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:02 pm 
I didn't think of that, I'm running 5/16" ID line, fits nice and tight around the nipple on the pump, but is a little loose around the intake nipple even with a clamp.

I'll keep an eye out for 3/16" or smaller and some better clamps, as well as that adapter next time I hit the parts store. That loose line around the intake nipple may just be my issue. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the permatex is done curing.

You're a lifesaver, lilpinny.

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:29 pm 
Rixer wrote:
I didn't think of that, I'm running 5/16" ID line, fits nice and tight around the nipple on the pump, but is a little loose around the intake nipple even with a clamp.

I'll keep an eye out for 3/16" or smaller and some better clamps, as well as that adapter next time I hit the parts store. That loose line around the intake nipple may just be my issue. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the permatex is done curing.

You're a lifesaver, lilpinny.


Right next to that adapter they'll have a packaged of assorted sizes all in one package. Same looking box/package. Get that. One of those in the mixed set will fit cleaner that the universal, but the universal will work too. Just tape it up.

Next time I'm in the garage I'll see what size hoses I use. It's all off the shelf stuff. I don't use any clamps.

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:02 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Rixer wrote:
I didn't think of that, I'm running 5/16" ID line, fits nice and tight around the nipple on the pump, but is a little loose around the intake nipple even with a clamp.

I'll keep an eye out for 3/16" or smaller and some better clamps, as well as that adapter next time I hit the parts store. That loose line around the intake nipple may just be my issue. We'll see what happens tomorrow when the permatex is done curing.

You're a lifesaver, lilpinny.


Right next to that adapter they'll have a packaged of assorted sizes all in one package. Same looking box/package. Get that. One of those in the mixed set will fit cleaner that the universal, but the universal will work too. Just tape it up.

Next time I'm in the garage I'll see what size hoses I use. It's all off the shelf stuff. I don't use any clamps.


All right I'm pretty much at my wit's end here. I got an adapter and some 1/8" vacuum line, so it's 5/16" from the pump then 1/8" on the nozzle on the intake, which is very tight. Still nothing. I also checked carb and jets, everything is clean and clear.

Sucked on the fuel line to get fuel all the way up so it was readily available to the carb, hit it with some starting fluid, and even when it fired briefly it wasn't sucking any fuel. The fuel does jump up a little when I try to start it, but doesn't come any farther up the line.

I'm kinda out of ideas here. As simple as the fuel pump is, being a vacuum pump, I wouldn't think that would be the issue, I did open it up to ensure all the passages were clear, and the gaskets looked good. I guess I could order a rebuild kit but it's just bolts and gaskets, which all seem fine.

Has to be an air leak, but I've checked everything I can think of. All the way up the manifold, in the carb, vacuum line, pump...

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:30 pm 
You might just need to get it going a little bit.

You've shot some fuel into the carb via the carb peacock with a children's medicine syringe? Get one from the pharmacist (they're usually free, don't say it's for your carb) and shoot a little in there to fill the bowl. Then put the fuel line back on it.

Usually the first time to get it going takes a few tries... might even kill your battery a couple of times. When I had fresh lines and the stock ruck battery (using starting fluid) it would kill the battery twice... then after two times on the tender it would fire up and stay running.

There are a ton of threads on hunting for leaks. When I had one, I used a gallon cork/plug I got at the homebrew shop. It had a hole in it for an airlock.

Take off your carb and shove that thing in the intake and it'll make a nice seal (it fits nice). Put your engine at TDC. Then spray your intake, engine, head, manifold, etc with WD-40 (That's what I used). Then either blow in that stopper (and you can sense if it's leaking or not) or use an air compressor and blast some air in there and look for bubbles coming out from anywhere along that linkage. When you do that, remember to plug the vacuum peacock on the intake, either with a cap or your finger.

Don't rebuild the mikuni, just chuck it and buy a new one, if that's what you think it is. But try all that first. What I found is that my clocking flange didn't sit flush with the head and I had a small gap even when it was cranked down. It's in my build thread. I had to file the flange down a little in the front and it fixed it. I also had one occasion where the vacuum peacock on the intake was buggered and I used some JB weld to seal it up... so make sure to spray and look for leaks there.

When I blew down the intake, I could actually hear the manifold hiss where the leak was. It doesn't take much of a leak to screw it up.

(btw, this is all in my build thread)

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:55 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
You might just need to get it going a little bit.

You've shot some fuel into the carb via the carb peacock with a children's medicine syringe? Get one from the pharmacist (they're usually free, don't say it's for your carb) and shoot a little in there to fill the bowl. Then put the fuel line back on it.

Usually the first time to get it going takes a few tries... might even kill your battery a couple of times. When I had fresh lines and the stock ruck battery (using starting fluid) it would kill the battery twice... then after two times on the tender it would fire up and stay running.

There are a ton of threads on hunting for leaks. When I had one, I used a gallon cork/plug I got at the homebrew shop. It had a hole in it for an airlock.

Take off your carb and shove that thing in the intake and it'll make a nice seal (it fits nice). Put your engine at TDC. Then spray your intake, engine, head, manifold, etc with WD-40 (That's what I used). Then either blow in that stopper (and you can sense if it's leaking or not) or use an air compressor and blast some air in there and look for bubbles coming out from anywhere along that linkage. When you do that, remember to plug the vacuum peacock on the intake, either with a cap or your finger.

Don't rebuild the mikuni, just chuck it and buy a new one, if that's what you think it is. But try all that first. What I found is that my clocking flange didn't sit flush with the head and I had a small gap even when it was cranked down. It's in my build thread. I had to file the flange down a little in the front and it fixed it. I also had one occasion where the vacuum peacock on the intake was buggered and I used some JB weld to seal it up... so make sure to spray and look for leaks there.

When I blew down the intake, I could actually hear the manifold hiss where the leak was. It doesn't take much of a leak to screw it up.

(btw, this is all in my build thread)


All right, I'll try to find somewhere to get a cork like that. I haven't tried putting fuel directly into the carb since I resealed a few things. Would it work to just fill the line the fuel, remove it from the pump and lift it above the carb so it feeds the carb by gravity?

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:13 pm 
Pictures are in order. Sorry if some are bad.

For the carb priming:

Image

Those syringes are free (or cheap) at the pharmacy. They are for giving little kids medicine. I put about half a syringe full of gas in my carb, then put the line on.

The stopper:

Image

Get that from the homebrew shop. It's a gallon jug stopper and the hole is for an airlock. You are going to jam a bunch of air down through it to see where you got a leak.

put it in your intake (when it's all hooked up.

Image

bad picture I know... but put your finger over the vacuum peacock, since that' can be the culprit sometimes (where my thumb is). and air gun from a compressor will fit in that hole on the stopper and will send a shitload of air in there. if the engine is a TDC it should be air tight. if you sprayed the engine down with WD-40 or something they'll be so much air you'll see something bubble. If you just put your mouth over the stopper and blow you might hear something. You won't hear anything with the compressor. Make sure the plastics are off the engine.

Hope this helps. It's how I found my leak.

-=l

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Pictures are in order. Sorry if some are bad.

For the carb priming:

Image

Those syringes are free (or cheap) at the pharmacy. They are for giving little kids medicine. I put about half a syringe full of gas in my carb, then put the line on.

The stopper:

Image

Get that from the homebrew shop. It's a gallon jug stopper and the hole is for an airlock. You are going to jam a bunch of air down through it to see where you got a leak.

put it in your intake (when it's all hooked up.

Image

bad picture I know... but put your finger over the vacuum peacock, since that' can be the culprit sometimes (where my thumb is). and air gun from a compressor will fit in that hole on the stopper and will send a shitload of air in there. if the engine is a TDC it should be air tight. if you sprayed the engine down with WD-40 or something they'll be so much air you'll see something bubble. If you just put your mouth over the stopper and blow you might hear something. You won't hear anything with the compressor. Make sure the plastics are off the engine.

Hope this helps. It's how I found my leak.

-=l


Coming in clutch again, thanks man. My girlfriend starts her 8-5 job tomorrow and I work nights so I'll have the day to myself to get some supplies and get that done. Hopefully i can find something.

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:11 pm 
This is the fun of the GY6... don't let it beat you. Make it work.

Many think you just throw it on, add the parts and it works, but it's the little shit along the way, and how you overcome it, that sets you apart.

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:04 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
This is the fun of the GY6... don't let it beat you. Make it work.

Many think you just throw it on, add the parts and it works, but it's the little shit along the way, and how you overcome it, that sets you apart.


Trying not to let it beat me right now, it's certainly trying. Tried your air leak detector method, got a few bubbles on one side between my riser and intake manifold, where i used the permatex before. Must not have done a great job. Just applied it again, a bit more liberally and made sure to cover the whole area. We'll see what that does tomorrow after it finishes curing.

Also, do the syringes you use for injecting fuel have needles? I got one from CVS without a needle and it doesn't fit inside the fuel petcock, just kinda sprays everywhere.

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:17 pm 
Rixer wrote:
Also, do the syringes you use for injecting fuel have needles? I got one from CVS without a needle and it doesn't fit inside the fuel petcock, just kinda sprays everywhere.


No needles. it doesn't fit perfect, but it gets close. Just put a pan under the thing and shoot it in there and enough will get in. You can also get a unicorn bottle (or any bottle) from a vape shop. They have tiny tips... might even work better.

Image

But hey, you found a leak! Things are looking up!

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:40 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
But hey, you found a leak! Things are looking up!


amen to that lol. It seemed to be a small leak, but we'll see. That was the only place I saw bubbling, I sprayed between intake and riser, between riser and head, between crankcase halves, and around the vacuum petcock on the intake.

Fingers crossed, I'll get her started tomorrow night!

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm 
it doesn't take much of a leak to cause a problem.

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
User avatar
Years on TR

Posts: 83
Location: Omaha, NE
Gender: Dude

Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:42 pm 
Gave the permatex 24 hrs, still wouldn't start but the battery died after a few times with the starter. It's on the tender now, gonna prime the carb and try again after. If it still won't start, I'm gonna check for leaks again. If nothing at all comes of it, I'll probably order a new pump.

_________________
GY6 150cc Build - In Progress


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:55 pm 
Before I upgraded my battery and starter, it took three cycles of starting, killing the battery, charging and then trying again to get it to go.

If you are using the same battery you used for the GET on your GY6, that thing don't have no power at all. That can barely turn over a 50cc. You got like 3-4 tries and it's dead.

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
User avatar
Years on TRYears on TR

Posts: 1348
Location: Texas
Gender: Dude
Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
Offline
 Post subject: Re: GY6 not getting fuel from Mikuni pump
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:56 pm 
You used RVT Ultra Black, right?

_________________
Build thread: Backtop Thunder

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Check out who is online and not out riding.

Rucksters browsing this forum: No rucksters and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
 
Copyright Owners: click here to report copyright infringement

Technophobes: click here if you are having issues registering or logging in

TotalRuckus.com 2005-2015 (That’s 10 F’ing years!) - All Rights Reserved --- Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group