Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

Years on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: noob to ruck. 03 ruckus overheating engine pressure, coolant
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:57 pm 
hi, so here's what I've got. I purchased an 03 ruckus last year running fine for $750. yeah, basically stole it. now after a couple thousand miles the engine started making a knock noise. so i bought a used engine off a buddy of mine which engine worked.
so i swapped engine. and the 2nd engine the valves were off pretty bad, so I decided I'll just swap valves. with new head gasket, since my original valve was fine.
ever since I've been getting the overheat light. so i tried swapping back to the 2nd valve that was off, same thing happened. overheat. so i put the 1st valve back on.
now I've done some reading and have the owners manual and found the things it could be, thermostat, water pump, air in lines, etc...
I've replaced the thermostat with new. and still over heat. when I drive it, it feels like there's a pressure building up, like a blocked passage. but I've bled the lines of air really good how they tell you to, but I noticed that the coolant in the radiator with the cap off seems to want to swell up and dip down, doesn't seem to be flowing. until the thermostat opens even then it doesn't really look like it's churning.
I've swapped water pumps with the other engine of mine, and swapped the heat sensor. still doing the same thing.
I really think it's a blocked passage in the coolant system, but can't seem to find anything online about troubleshooting a blocked water passage.

if anyone could help me find the next step in correcting my engine. it would be very helpful.
p.s also, had a guy who used to work on ruckus at a shop look at it, he installed my cdi and variator, clutch springs, he reset the ecu as recommended when installing cdi. checked my valves, and verified I'm timed correctly. also cleaned out my carb. this was all done after the overheat problem, ultimately he said to try replacing the thermostat, which I did. but no success.

any help or suggestions would be helpful. I'm really looking for a way to verify my water pump is working or not. which i think it is, since i feel a pressure built up in the engine. and a way to find the blocked water line, if any.
thank you for your help. Jim

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: noob to ruck. 03 ruckus overheating engine pressure, coolant
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:54 am 
It sounds like you've just got air in the system. Have you tried starting it up with out the radiator cap on? Pinch the main radiator lines (near exhaust) a number of times and that will help get any trapped air to move around. Let it run for 10 mins while blipping the throttle occasionally.
Check your oil to make sure you're not getting coolant in there.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: noob to ruck. 03 ruckus overheating engine pressure, coolant
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:09 am 
what wazzu said... check to see the oil isn't milky.

You might also want to reset the ECU to make sure that if the old thermostat was bad the ECU isn't stuck on thinking its bad. Save that for if the other stuff doesn't fix it.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet