Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
 Post subject: 2017 Honda Ruckus Lots of Mods HELP!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:38 pm 
So I have searched the forum and google on a problem I have but came up short or their problems were very different. I just bought a New 2017 Honda ruckus about only 47 miles original miles on it as I am the first owner. As Far As upgrades Engine I have already put in a 9.5 stretch on it from TRS, Put in TRS Airbox Removal kit V2, With blocker. NCY CDI, 2 Brothers Exhaust, Malossi Variator, DR Pulley 5.5G Sliders, polini Blue Contra Spring, Blue Color Clutch Springs, WIthPolini kevlar belt, 38SJ8 With Shim Needle. My Problem is I'm Hitting Rev Limit Around 32-36mph range and since I have an Unrestricted CDI Im-Able to go past the rev limit, and each time I do I always hear a loud high pitched rattle coming from my exhaust sounds kinda like a bunch of metal balls dropping in a metal can. I have read somewhere that it may be my Valve Floating and google searched it and came up short. It always scares me that I'm revving that high and hearing that noise so I always back off the throttle. Also, Im About 160-170lbs, and back when it was stock I could Get to the 45-50mph Range So My Questions are

1.What is that Noise When I'm Passing rev limit?.
2. WHY am I so Slow, could it be that my Motor hasn't broken In Yet?
3. Anyone Know An MMEchanic or Fellow Ruckster In El Paso, Tx Area?
4. Should I Go For A Big Bore Kit?

PS. I Know I'm A dumbass For Installing everything at once and especially before the motor was broken in, I'm New to the Ruck Scene as I've always wanted to get one when I was 16. But I'm Not New To Hondas AS I Had An 89 Honda Elite E With a 72 Polini Bore kit and a 28 OKO Carb And I could Do 70-90MPH With That Machine I Miss It Just tryna Make My Ruck Reach That Speed If Not AS Close AS Possible without a SWAP.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Honda Ruckus Lots of Mods HELP!!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:17 pm 
Yow. That's alot of stuff to debug.

I'd start by figuring out what it's not and then start isolating the problem. I don't know what the noise is (sounds like a symptom but not the problem but my question is why do you hit the limiter so quick and so slow. So my inclination is some or all of that clutch stuff is messing something up. But who knows. I hope you still have the stock parts so you can experiment to figure out what it is.

It's not the stretch, or belt. I doubt it's the airbox delete/exhaust (assuming you got your jets right). I doubt the sliders either but they might not be helping.

I'd pop the old clutch and varilator in and see what happens then go from there. I'd also bypass the NCY and go back to stock if it's possible with that one. While you are doing it make sure the other stuff you did was done correctly.

btw, I think 70 on a GET might be unrealistic, but don't go looking for a swap until you figure this out.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Dirty Sanchez
Dirty Sanchez

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:19 pm 
That noise should scare you. If you have only 47 miles on your Ruck and you're running it like that, it's going to be ruined soon.

Plenty of threads about checking your valves, for example, the Sticky in the How-To Forum:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=44778

DON'T get a big bore kit. Clearly you don't really know what you're doing yet. 70-90 mph on a Ruckus? Get a clue!

Or maybe you are a troll looking to get some Rucksters all worked up to get your jollies.

We'll see.

2016 48 Hours of Ruckus Winner

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:52 pm 
Thanks For The Input Guys Very HelpFul Yeah I Was thinking of putting the stock variator Back In With the Dr. Pulleys sliders.

I Know 70 is unreasonable I was just saying that was what my Elite Use To Do.

In all Reason, I really just wanna be fast enough to not hold traffic back and be able to pass a car if I wanted to

Also, I forgot to add is When I'm also moving and as soon as I let off the throttle it feels like I'm stuck in 2nd gear slowing down until I Hit around 2000rpms then it just goes back to neutral Is That Normal for these motors?

As Far As the noise, I'm gonna keep it way under the rev limit for now till I figure it out or someone has an answer, it is coming g from the exhaust and I'm really thinking its the valves tapping because of the high rev, but what do I know.

And for adjusting my valves I'm not sure if they should be adjusted since the motor is still New with 47 miles on it but who knows I'm gonna try and open it up this weekend and check it maybe change some oil too.

TR Ride of the Month!
TR Ride of the Month!
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:49 pm 
Remove every single performance part and put it back to stock. Then start with ONLY the intake and jetting. Tune that till it's running it's best. Then add the variator and weights. Tune that setup to it's max. The exhaust you purchased will mainly serve for looks and will give you no performance. The CDI should be the last thing you install once the CVT is tuned to it's max.

Z125 Crew
Builds: viewtopic.php?f=95&t=65407

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 pm 
First off, what's a "with blocker"?!? And 90mph on an elite? :wc_flag: ya right

Lilpinny already told you to put back in the stock clutch and variator. Why do you not want to listen to his (correct) solution? The blue contra spring takes quite a long time (100mi) to break in fully. It's too stiff right now and is keeping the belt from traveling. Kinda like running in 1st gear the whole time. That's why you're redlining. Take the CDI out till you know what you're doing.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:36 pm 
Blocker is the Reed valve Blocker/Plate and I Will get it back to stock setup and see if it performs better and thanks for the advice oon the clutch Springs I was having the same Idea. Thanks for the help appreciate everyones input, but for the record I did hit 90mph on freeway with my elite clocked it next to my buddys car doing 90mph also so believe it or not guys lol.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:45 pm 
The pair valve block.

Let us know how it goes.

Papa Smurf says it's drafty in here and those damn kids still won't get off his lawn. :smile:

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:16 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Yow. That's a lot of stuff to debug.

I'd start by figuring out what it's not and then start isolating the problem. I don't know what the noise is (sounds like a symptom but not the problem but my question is why do you hit the limiter so quick and so slow. So my inclination is some or all of that clutch stuff is messing something up. But who knows. I hope you still have the stock parts so you can experiment to figure out what it is.

It's not the stretch or belt. I doubt it's the airbox delete/exhaust (assuming you got your jets right). I doubt the sliders either but they might not be helping.

I'd pop the old clutch and varilator in and see what happens then go from there. I'd also bypass the NCY and go back to stock if it's possible with that one. While you are doing it make sure the other stuff you did was done correctly.

btw, I think 70 on a GET might be unrealistic, but don't go looking for a swap until you figure this out.

Quote:
Remove every single performance part and put it back to stock. Then start with ONLY the intake and jetting. Tune that till it's running it's best. Then add the variator and weights. Tune that setup to it's max. The exhaust you purchased will mainly serve for looks and will give you no performance. The CDI should be the last thing you install once the CVT is tuned to it's max.

So Followed Both Your Guys Advice and Now reaching reasonable speeds currently 40-47mph

Re-jetted to 38S78M with needle shim got up to 46-47Mph with stock CVT Setup

Then tried my best to tune weights and determine which was better and ended up going with Malossi Variator and DR Pulley 5.5G Sliders as it was hard to determine because it was very windy today so lots of wind holding me back and lots of cops passing by me on a 35mph road, Found that the Dr. Pulley Sliders kept me in the ruckus power band.

for the last thing I did I put back the polini blue contra spring as it will help me accelerate against theses harsh winds and determined the source of my problem with high revving turns out the plastic cup that's used between the spring and the clutch was binding against my clutch and causing me to rev only to keep the wheel going thus the reason for me rapidly decelerating when letting of the throttle because clutch was engaged the whole time till I slowed down for the contra spring to return back to normal if that makes sense.

So since finding that out and going for a ride with contra spring and no plastic cup installed it started to bind as I throttled and release as I exited out of my street but once I hit the road I accelerated and felt the spring release tension and started performing as it should and no harsh stuck in 1st decelerating problems no more when letting off the throttle so I'm real happy about that. My Rpm was back to normal powerband and no high revving no more or valve floating exhaust sound no more

Now determining if I should put back my Blue Clutch Springs and polini belt as to help them break in. or just leave my stock belt on as its still practically new. I'll figure it out.

My Absolute goal right now is to hit that magic 60mph or I'd Settle just to hit 50's. I just don't know what else to do with the CVT as for tuning besides a lightened flywheel or Dr. Pulley hit clutch I just don't want to spend more money on things that may or may not add on a 1mph or 2.

Really Considering MXP 58.1CC Bore Upgrade Or Yimmy's 66cc Crate engine when it comes in stock.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm 
Sounds like you might just wanna sell all your GET parts you've bought and go GY6 already to save time.
The GET takes reading, patience, trial and error and time to tune.

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:54 pm 
That's what I was thinking.... if you go the GY6 route you're gonna have alot of new performance parts that won't work on the GY6.

Tanuki wrote:
I didn't say that, yet

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:00 pm 
Yeah Gy6 seems The way to go How Much $$$ Are We Talking For a Whole Complete Swap?

Know Of Any Good Decent Priced ones Im Aware Of TRS Gy6's but wondering if there are any other sources The TR Fam knows?

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:03 pm 
There's info all over this site on the GY6. Take a moment to look around and read. The swap has been done for a long time and pretty much perfected.
You will find info on what you need and then you can find the sites that sell parts and shop price on the parts you'll need.

I would go Makoa harness if I were to go GY6, I suggest you do the same.

-or-

You could sell your ruck and parts and buy a used GY6 ruck for a decent price.
But if you do this... again, I would suggest you use this site to your advantage and READ UP

Ruckus Evolution.... The Punisher Build -----> The Knicks Build ------> UPDATE: The 250cc Gears of War Build (aka RuckFlex)

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm 
I'll leave you with this to get started reading.

Ultimate Swap guide
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=96302

GET Faster 101
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=95930

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:46 pm 
Just buy a Grom! This is why you should have left your Ruckus STOCK! :ucrazy: :ucrazy: :ucrazy: You tore it all up and now it runs like Crap! :headbashing: :headbashing: :headbashing:

SlimClone: Fuck off Ron