Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

The way it should be Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Bogging under throttle, won't go over 20ish.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:46 pm 
lilpinny wrote:
Try tuning the air screw. That might have been tweaked as well. That stock exhaust mught not like the air box pulled off either. Could be too much air for it to push out.

I mean, to me, it sounds like the air/fuel mix is goofed up. It works at idle but with gas and it moving to the main jet it's sputters. It's getting too much of something or not enough of something... and perhaps it's not getting it out through the exhaust fast enough.

Don't know if this would prove anything, but what's it do if you pull of the exhaust? I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

Hm. I know there are plenty of people with airbox deletes running the stock exhaust without issue, so I'm not sure if I'm convinced. The idea of trying to run the engine without exhaust entirely seems a bit off to me as well.

One thing I realized I haven't checked is whether the carb slide is moving properly. Tomorrow if I get the chance (supposed to be a bitterly cold day though) I may try popping the intake off entirely and seeing if I can visually confirm slide motion.

I'm also wondering about the possibility of CVT belt slippage even more. More throttle = more power = more likelihood of slipping? It shouldn't be too much of a hassle to pull the cover off and have a quick look, though I don't have a tool that would allow me to remove the variator.

I'm also going to try to take some video of me actually riding the thing to better show the issue.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:43 pm 
nerdygerman wrote:
Update time!

Got my new jets and lock set in today. Installed a new 38 idle jet and a 75 main jet (the stock size). Took a closer look at the jet that was in there and found a size marking; it was an 85.

Put everything back together and took it for a test spin around the block...aaaaand it's the same problem.

:headbashing:

It does seem to have a bit more get-up-and-go at 1/4 throttle than it did, but anything more than that and it's bog central. Immediate power loss and decrease in speed, and it sort of "stutters" (brief fraction-of-a-second bits of power, but few and far between).

So...where do I go from here?

If it idles better, great- you've found that a 38 is the correct size. Now you need to find the correct main jet. Record your top speed/observations. Change to a 78 main. Did the speed/sound improve? Yes? Great, now swap it out for an 80 and repeat. Keep going until the performance/speed declines. You then know you've gone too far and need to go back down one size. You can't just make a 4 size jump and expect it to run perfectly.

And...running the bike without an exhaust?? Ya....don't do that.

Needs Training Wheels
Needs Training Wheels

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:10 pm 
So, today was a weird day...

Finally got a warm day so I decided to try some more troubleshooting. Ruck didn't want to start initially; took a bit of starting fluid to get it going and it had to warm up a bit before it'd idle properly. Was a bit concerning as up to this point I'd never had a problem starting or idling the ruck, even in cold weather.

I took the intake off to visually confirm that the carb slide was moving. It is, though it seems to be a bit jittery (vacuum leak? or maybe this is normal...). Burped the radiator as someone had suggested just to be sure, and took the ruck around the block.

It ran perfectly. No bogging at all. :?

Examined the snorkel and it did have a tiny split in it near the filter end. Mounted the filter directly to the carb (clears the rear wheel by about an inch) and took it out for a proper ride and a bit of shopping. Not a single problem all day.

Either my bike is magic and mends itself, or it's one temperamental bitch. It leaves me more confused every time I look at it.

Let it cool back down while I did other stuff, and went out to cold-start it again. Fired up second try, but needed a bit of throttle to idle until it had warmed up a bit. Perhaps the cold-start enrichment thing is borked?

Photo of the Week
Photo of the Week
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Bathroom mechanic
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 pm 
Maybe you need a little protection?
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106806
:mrgreen:

King Ghidorah

JamesDean wrote:
Most people would say OWNING a Ruckus is retarded.

48hours of Ruckus Winner
48hours of Ruckus Winner
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:44 am 
i need some of your magic.... i was hoping to come to a rez at the end but this thread gave me some major blue :wasted:

Lil Girls Wagon