Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: How to Hone a Cylinder - Using Wiseco Nylon FlexHone Brush
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:41 am 
Hey gang,

Here's a video I made demonstrating how to hone a Cylinder. For this Video, I use a, BN157QMJ (GY6 150cc) cylinder and refresh it to new. The honing brush isn't your typical dingle-berry style. It's a Wiseco, Nylon FlexHone brush.

https://youtu.be/8SmjOdGNVtQ

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Parking lot mechanic
 Post subject: Re: How to Hone a Cylinder - Using Wiseco Nylon FlexHone Brush
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:20 pm 

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:23 pm 
This video teaches things about proper honing. You should always use a stone type hone first to see imperfections in the cylinder. Use the type you've shown for cross-hatching after honing. Be careful about honing too much. It's easy to wear a cylinder out. After you hone checking the ring size is a great idea. Put 1 ring into the cylinder and use the piston to true it up. Check the gap in the ring's end. This gap should be less than .010" and varies by cylinder size what the gap should be. If the gap is too large order an oversized ring and file the end until it fits with proper gap.

That's today's class in engine building 101. :wink:

How to post pictures <- clicky

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:38 pm 
fasterthanme wrote:
You should always use a stone type hone first to see imperfections in the cylinder. Use the type you've shown for cross-hatching after honing.

That's today's class in engine building 101. :wink:

I disagree.

I have spent some time with Brush Research Manufacturing (Leader in the type of stone brush's you're talking about) in consultation about cylinder honing...The information I have provided is from leaders in the field.

The Cylinder in the video only had about 3000 miles and didn't even require deglazing.

You use different types of Honing brushes for different applications. Rusted Cylinder, 120 grit, deglazing, 240 grit, crosshatch and re-seat, 360 grit or the Wiseco....

So, if you have a cylinder that has heavy wear, yes, you're going to want to start out with a dingleberry style. But not for a cylinder as fresh as the one in the video.

Before you attempt any honing, you judge what must be done and use the correct brush for the Job, Every honing application is different, so there is no one way to do it...

BTW, is that your video you linked to?

Ride Game Participant
Ride Game Participant
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Location: the land of cotton... old times here are not forgotten
Living room mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:07 am 
Not mine but the same technology they taught us in school applies. You don't use your hand to sand a car. You use a sanding block as it lowers the high spots until they blend with the low. Honing is the same situation whether you agree or not.

How to post pictures <- clicky

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:14 am 
:popcorn:

Build Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=51876&hilit=intro

www.instagram.com/blackburngraves

n00bie

Years on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:51 am 
fasterthanme wrote:
Not mine but the same technology they taught us in school applies. You don't use your hand to sand a car. You use a sanding block as it lowers the high spots until they blend with the low. Honing is the same situation whether you agree or not.

Why am I not surprised that's not your video?

Here's an idea... Grab your "stone brush" and your camera, make your own video, start your own thread and share what you know with others in your very own thread... You are creating distracting information in this thread that will not help anyone, only distract and confuse.

Now, pay close attention... This is a video demonstrating Wiseco's Nylonf FelxHone Brush... This is not a video illustrating how to use the dingleberry style of honing brush's... Do you understand?

In addition, you are flat out providing wrong information.

Every Honing job is different... You use the appropriate tool for the right job... Not just one method for all applications. In this video, I was only prepping the cylinder to re-seat the piston rings. My sole intent was to refresh my cross-hatch pattern and demonstrate how the Wiseco performs...

I was not truing the cylinder... I was not de-burring the cylinder. The Cylinder did not require "deglazing"....

Anyhow, I don't want to have a pissing match with you and your comments have not been helpful to the thread in anyway.... You are just interjecting pointless facts that has nothing to do with this application. One way or another, I am done with this with you... Feel free to have the last word, my only intent with this post was to correct your bad information for the readers of this thread....

One more thing to note... I advise people against following what the "instructor" did in the video provided by fasterthannotme.... The honing brush always needs to be spinning before you stick the honing brush in the cylinder.