Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ   * Search 

Grammar Ninja
Grammar Ninja
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: BR issue
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 am 
RuckusFanatic wrote:
HiTechRedneck wrote:
Both of you guys wanna go here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14945

and read through BRed's links. There's a chart of roller weight comparisons and a discussion of the OE muffler and mods. It's your best resource 8)

Ya I've been there and read it, still asked the question for a reason though.

And the post after me was asking if anyone possibly had a current source.

The muffler mod is a pretty subjective choice, imo. If you can afford going with an aftermarket exhaust, go for it. If money is tight, or if you just like the look of the OE muffler, try the mod. There's really no right or wrong in this sense.

Current sources for the Beams exhaust--Dunno, personally I haven't looked for one. If someone who currently has one could post up the part number for the one that they have, that'd be your best starting point for locating one. Are there other mufflers out there that might work? Sure. Would they require modification to do so? Most likely. Do we have a handy list of all the mufflers that might work? No, unfortunately.

As for what Ozark means by replacing the "slides"?? Again, subjective. If they appear worn, then sure, replace them. But if you're running a low-mileage BR, most likely not necessary. FYI, there is no run-out limit (wear limit) listed in the service manual for the slides. After >30,000 miles on mine, they look pretty much the same as they always have.

The best source for the various variator components is Honda. So, either your local dealer or an online parts resource. Hondapartshouse.com is one, I always have had good luck with mrcycles.com, but I haven't had to order parts for a while.

Best source for Dr. Pulley sliders right now? Again, dunno, haven't needed to purchase any for a couple of years so haven't looked. Hopefully someone who has bought some recently will post up.

But, here's the deal, gentlemen. You are now the proud owners of an oddball machine sold in the US market for two whole years. Now, while it may share some drivetrain components with other Honda scooters (e.g. the Helix & Reflex), aftermarket support in the US is pretty much non-existent. And there's not much in Japan these days either, apparently.

So, as far as the forum is concerned, yes, a lot of the information on the site will seem dated. Well, that's because the biggest flurry of BR modification and experimentation was over 2 years ago and, as with many things, a lot of the people who contributed to that information have moved on. Some have sold their BRs, some have been killed in accidents, others just got busy with life, some just got burnt out on TR.

What this means is that, if you want more current information, in a lot of cases you're simply going to have to try and find out for yourself using the information on this forum as a starting point. There are not a lot of Big Ruckus owners in the world. Even fewer are regular posters here. Even fewer still modify their BRs. The handful of us who have been here for a while really do try to be as helpful as we can. But, this does means that you may not always get the fast, easy answer to your query that you would like.

#5 v1.0

Junior Mint
Junior Mint
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 pm 
Thanks HTR. Ordered the Dr Pulleys today. $40 for the rollers and 6 bucks for the slides.

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:04 pm 
HiTechRedneck wrote:
RuckusFanatic wrote:
HiTechRedneck wrote:
Both of you guys wanna go here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14945

and read through BRed's links. There's a chart of roller weight comparisons and a discussion of the OE muffler and mods. It's your best resource 8)

Ya I've been there and read it, still asked the question for a reason though.

And the post after me was asking if anyone possibly had a current source.

The muffler mod is a pretty subjective choice, imo. If you can afford going with an aftermarket exhaust, go for it. If money is tight, or if you just like the look of the OE muffler, try the mod. There's really no right or wrong in this sense.

Current sources for the Beams exhaust--Dunno, personally I haven't looked for one. If someone who currently has one could post up the part number for the one that they have, that'd be your best starting point for locating one. Are there other mufflers out there that might work? Sure. Would they require modification to do so? Most likely. Do we have a handy list of all the mufflers that might work? No, unfortunately.

As for what Ozark means by replacing the "slides"?? Again, subjective. If they appear worn, then sure, replace them. But if you're running a low-mileage BR, most likely not necessary. FYI, there is no run-out limit (wear limit) listed in the service manual for the slides. After >30,000 miles on mine, they look pretty much the same as they always have.

The best source for the various variator components is Honda. So, either your local dealer or an online parts resource. Hondapartshouse.com is one, I always have had good luck with mrcycles.com, but I haven't had to order parts for a while.

Best source for Dr. Pulley sliders right now? Again, dunno, haven't needed to purchase any for a couple of years so haven't looked. Hopefully someone who has bought some recently will post up.

But, here's the deal, gentlemen. You are now the proud owners of an oddball machine sold in the US market for two whole years. Now, while it may share some drivetrain components with other Honda scooters (e.g. the Helix & Reflex), aftermarket support in the US is pretty much non-existent. And there's not much in Japan these days either, apparently.

So, as far as the forum is concerned, yes, a lot of the information on the site will seem dated. Well, that's because the biggest flurry of BR modification and experimentation was over 2 years ago and, as with many things, a lot of the people who contributed to that information have moved on. Some have sold their BRs, some have been killed in accidents, others just got busy with life, some just got burnt out on TR.

What this means is that, if you want more current information, in a lot of cases you're simply going to have to try and find out for yourself using the information on this forum as a starting point. There are not a lot of Big Ruckus owners in the world. Even fewer are regular posters here. Even fewer still modify their BRs. The handful of us who have been here for a while really do try to be as helpful as we can. But, this does means that you may not always get the fast, easy answer to your query that you would like.

Thank you HTR. I'll start expanding my searches into the helix and reflex as well and see what I can come up with. As I got through and modify my BR to fit my specific liking I'll make sure to contribute to the site to help encourage otehrs and keep the info coming even if just slightly.

Grammar Ninja
Grammar Ninja
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:48 pm 
You're both very welcome. I'm just sorry that we don't have more recent info for you. :cry:

Fingers crossed, though. It's looking like I will actually have time to tear into #5 this spring. It's been over a year since I've really had any time at all to wrench on the Big Ruck and I'm itching to get started. Course, it means I'll be scouring teh interwoobies for parts and such in the near future.

I'm with RF, as soon as there is more good info to post up, I'll be sure to share. :wink:

Viva la BR! :banger:

#5 v1.0