Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Jets R Us Carb Screws
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:58 am 
I'm in the midst of going up one step with my jets and decided to replace the #2 Phillips head bowl screws with socket heads. The local big box store had M4x0.7 but only in 12mm length (factory is 14mm to get full engagement in the carb body) so ordered from Jets R Us. Guess what, they sent 12mm. Guess they'll work, but I'm bummed out.
BTW, when you remove the factory screws, use a new #2 bit and press down on the top of the carb while pushing up on the bottom with the screw driver as hard as you can. I wasn't extreme on the first try so buggered the head ever so slightly and had to cut a slot with my Dremel tool for a straight blade screw driver.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Garage mechanic
 Post subject: Re: Jets R Us Carb Screws
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:13 am 
I emailed my disappointment to JetsRUs and they are sending new screws (free). I'll report on them when I have them in my hand but can't complain about the customer service.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:53 am 
Honestly , I would think the shorter length is still WAY within specs for length to diameter ratio. For years the rule of thumb has always been a minimum of 3 full threads in contact to equalize thread-stripping to bolt-shearing....and honestly , those little bastards are in a really awkward place to get out , you really need that extra 2mm to fight with????....lol

:canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:07 pm 
Checking with google I found: Screw load diagrams indicate that loading is shared by the first 6 threads ranging for 34% on the first thread to 7% on the sixth thread and that the first thread will be going into failure before loading is passed beyond the sixth thread (the first six threads can carry 98% of the load). I guess this works for either the screw or the nut since it’s addressing the strength of the thread root. I couldn't really find out anything about the screw being stainless steel vs. aluminum or pot metal for the carb body. My concern goes back to inspecting pipe fittings on industrial jobs where contractors would sometimes put bolts that were too short into flanged connections. I always wanted a couple of threads showing. Since our real concern would be stripping out the threads in the carb body from over tightening the screw, I would err on the side of caution and ensure that the screw engaged all the available threads even though it may not be necessary.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Garage mechanic
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:28 am 
I got the replacement screws two days ago and put them in today. They are the true 14mm long so JetsRUs does have the correct ones. I counted the turns when I pulled the ones they had previously sent me. They barely made 3 turns, if that. The new screws just barely protrude above the carb body so there's not a lot of threads to grab anyway - maybe 5 for sure. For those of you metrically impaired, the lengths are 1/2" for those originally provided vs. 5/8" for the final ones - a small but important (to me) difference.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Shop mechanic
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:27 am 
13mm ~ 1/2"
14mm ~ 9/16"
16mm = 5/8"