Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: 10% contra spring
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:59 pm 
---will a 10% contra spring slow your top speed,,, i had heard that the spring was a none issue over 35-40mph...
--------what do you think??!!

-----------------jimT :loopy

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: 10% contra spring
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:22 am 
with identical configurations and roller weights, my vote is YES.

I think a +10% contra spring (at least in theory) needs heavier roller weights to reach the same top speed of an identical bike with a standard spring.

The only evidence I have of this is a comparison between a new Honda contra spring and one with 30,000 mile on it that was about 1/2" of so shorter.
The new spring had better take off and was much quieter and smoother, but the old spring would cruise at a lower rpm and got better mileage.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:13 am 
ok,....i've been running the 10% stronger contra for the last 4 years,....YES,...it will reduce your top speed, unless you take action to over-come that extra resistance Jim.

Think about it for a minute,......once installed,....the driven pulley is 10% stronger,....meaning it now has greater resistance to opening, which means your variator is not going to close as quickly,.....thus,...its like staying in 2nd gear alittle longer.

The idea behind the stronger contra spring, is for more acceleration,....now if you try to over-come that extra resistance with heavier roller weights, you get a pig,... :dubious: ....unless you substantially "up" your horsepower.

I hope this helped.

For the record,.....I absolutely LOVE the 10% spring,...I took it once, for a weekend, before running down to NC CON in Raleigh, thinking I should opt for "fuel economy" for the trip,... :dubious: ....needless to say I reinstalled the 10%!... :canuck:

Currently,...with the s'wing drivetrain, the clutching is 100% stock,...but rest assured, before this coming June,...it wont be,....and a stronger contra is indeed in need..... :canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:55 pm 
What weights are you running with the 10 percent spring? i hav e the spring, but have not installed it yet as i am waiting till i am more patient for tuning

i am currently running a stock spring with 19gram weights and love then speed off the line.

i did a 15 percent spring on my small ruck and the snap back when you roll of the throttle in amazing!

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2013 Honda Grom
2009 Yamaha Tmax
2006 Honda BIG Ruckus
1980 Vespa P200e

20 Years Riding Experience

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:02 pm 
kev187 wrote:
What weights are you running with the 10 percent spring? i hav e the spring, but have not installed it yet as i am waiting till i am more patient for tuning

i am currently running a stock spring with 19gram weights and love then speed off the line.

i did a 15 percent spring on my small ruck and the snap back when you roll of the throttle in amazing!

Thats what I loved about the 10% spring in my BR,....it shifted-back fast!,....accel off the line was ALOT better,...I tried everything from 23 - 19 rollers, and 19 and 21 sliders,...I ended-up prefering the 19g DR Pulley Sliders, for the kind of riding "I prefer"..... :banger:

INSTALL that spring!....you'll love-it! 8)

I have'nt even started to search for anything clutch-tuning-related for the silverwing clutches,...maybe this summer..... :canuck:

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 pm 
[quote="kev187"]What weights are you running with the 10 percent spring?

---i'm run'g (3)15's & (3)18's, this gives me good acceleration for my weight(240#) and my style of riding,,, it does hurt my top speed(70mph) but for 'metro' riding, it pulls great...
---at deceleration, the spring shifts down quicker, as mentioned previously and mated to the delta clutch, the BR will stay locked in gear, until it slows to 12mph(it really helps with braking)...

-----------------jimT :wacko:

Habitual Offender
Habitual Offender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:18 am 
Bringing this thread back to life since its such a good improvement.

10% Blue Contra Spring, does not change the top end much, but man it holds in low gear longer off the line and snaps back faster on hills

I have combined this with 21G Dr. Pulley Sliders. An awesome combo, especially if you have completed the rejet!

2013 Yamaha Super Tenere
2013 Honda Grom
2009 Yamaha Tmax
2006 Honda BIG Ruckus
1980 Vespa P200e

20 Years Riding Experience

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:51 pm 
Hmmm....interesting....any 10% springs I found, where red.

Currently I'm running a 13% in Goliath, Mollossi, it's white

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:10 pm 
red springs are Malossi
blue springs are Polini

(I think that's right?)

I bought a set of Polini contra springs in a tuning kit from SIP Scooter in Germany about 4 years ago....
1-10% over
1-10% under

They also had a 15% over listed, but suggested it only for racing.....think of it as a twisties mod?
very useful for when you're going around a track wide open in the straight aways and need to drop the gearing ratio quickly in the turns.

Very sucky for cruising down the interstate because there is no cruise.
If you ease back on the throttle to achieve "cruise", the scoot WILL downshift immediately...
not exactly what you want to happen at 75mph.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm 
I can't remember if it was for my 250, or for the 600... but a couple years ago I came across molossi green 30% racing!!

2005 BIGUS Ruckus