Our motto says it all: "We would like to ride in zoomer which is not easily defeated by anyone."

Members Rides Members Rides   TR Ride of the Month TR ROTM   * Ride Utility   Scoot TV Scoot TV   Support TR buy a shirt! TR Store * Login * Register
* FAQ 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Iron Butt
Iron Butt
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: BR muffler dissection...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:41 pm 
Umm.....what??

sorry it's been two years since this thread has seen daylight and I'm confused as to what you're asking? :lol:

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:14 am 
Well it sounds like a 1/2inch drill bit drills a hole into the center of the exit of the exhaust right?

Also do you just puncture a hole through the first metal wall you hit or how far do you go?

One of Us
One of Us
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

Post subject: Re: muffler mod!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:41 am 
[quote="jimT"]---i drilled my muffler as ed described and his performance results are the same as observed. the sound is a lower sounding pulse, perfect!!
---i got my drill extender at Lowes($6) for a 1/4" shaft. i had a 1/2" drill that's reduced to 1/4". i 1st drilled a 1/4" pilot hole, then used the 1/2" to finish.
---NOTE!!!,,, it's not that easy to drill a 1/2" hole though thin steel because the big bit tends to grab, causing the bit to twist in the extender. soooo,,, take it slow and easy! better yet! if you have have access to several 1/4" drive bits open the hole gradually. i did'nt so i took it easy...

----the drill with extender goes into the tailpipe. that pipe is capped inside the muffler...
----look at the last picture of the rear end of the opened muffler,,,in the bottom pipe,,, you can see the cap you're going to drill thru.

---caution---DO NOT!!! use a drill bigger than a 1/2".......
---------do not!!! use a reamer... it can get stuck!!!
---------stop as soon has the drill goes thru the cap metal...
---------tighten the drill in the extender seriously, you don't want it to come off in the muff...

-------------------------luck jimT :loopy

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:01 am 
K that makes sense. I don't get why you're saying extenders and everything else though.

Shouldn't I just use a drill with a 1/2inch drill bit? lol

This is for my reflex muff and I BELIEVE there's a muffler tip so I'm going to grind that off as well.

One of Us
One of Us

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:38 am 
----if you can find a 1/2" drill that's 16 inches long go for it........ :ucrazy:

----stick a rod up the tailpipe and measure it!!! :fencing

----think for god's sake... :loopie

----jimT :prophead

Iron Butt
Iron Butt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:08 pm 
what Jim said........

remember, you're only drilling out the last baffle on the exit pipe that run all the way to the front of the muffler.
if you go past that, you'll drill a hole in the front of the muffler right beside where the header pipe enters the muffler.

"You live and learn......at any rate, you live."
~Douglas Adams

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:03 pm 
Now it makes sense and yes I am a little slow :army:

Thanks much guys!

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:13 am 
Listen to Jim when he tells you to stop at 1/2 inch...

I did not I went 3/4" and it was a bitch. Getting it to the end, it paused twice as it reamed out some welds. On the way back out again, the bit snagged on something loostened by reaming out those welds. It was a bitch getting the bit back out and i ended up with something loose in there. Now my muffler makes funny noises at low rpm's, especially idle (it sounds kinda sickly). It sounds good when wide open on the interstate. I would definitely do it again but with a 1/2" bit.

Listen to the old farts. They have had plenty of time to make mistakes and learn from them.

I am hoping to buy someones BR muffler when they purchase an aftermarket muffler or just swap the engine. Then I could try again, and get it right. No point in buying a new BR muffler, they cost so much you might as well spend a little more for an aftermarket.

Junior Mint
Junior Mint

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:06 pm 
You can get a honda reflex muffler on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid ... Categories

From looking at the pictures on page 2 of this thread... They look identical, TO ME at least.

Shot Caller
Shot Caller
Years on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TRYears on TR

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:47 am 
internally they may be identical...

but in their infinite wisdom, honda decided to make the swingarm mounts completely different

n00bie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:42 pm 
Glad to see someone with a Flex breathed a bit of life into this old thread. I'm thinking of doing the same. I have some 18" and 24" long 1/2" bits from work, so no extender for that. Also there's no tip on my exhaust, I've got an '05 Reflex. Well, let me restate that, there is a tip, just not one of the one's with a bend in it so it should go through directly to the baffle. Guess I'll try this, this upcoming weekend, sounds like an extremely easy mod to me.

Oh and to whomever posted the link to that guy the does the custom SS work, THANK YOU! I have him doing work now on my show car and my bike!!

My Flex's exhaust:

n00bie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:02 am 
Good info on this thread.

Don't know bout the BR, but on the Reflex, I can state definitively that the ignition module DOES NOT have a rev limiter feature. By my personal experience, I've seen 9k RPMs after Dr. Pulleys and car tire mods. The scoot had FANTASTIC git-up-n-go, but at 9k, the bike WILL sputter terribly, as if fuel or spark cannot keep up with actual RPM's. I cannot recommend doing what I did! :mrgreen:

PS: I recently re-modded THIS mod, for safety's sake. :banger:

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:23 pm 
I am thinking of getting a slip on Super Trapp and having a local custom shop weld up mounts and make it work.

Benefits: I am thinking they are designed to be easy to change the packing, I would be able to adjust back pressure and sound in much smaller steps than the 3 choices most pipes give you: quiet baffle, loud baffle, and no baffle.

CANADIUS MAXIMUS
CANADIUS MAXIMUS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:10 pm 
Red Ape 55 wrote:
I am thinking of getting a slip on Super Trapp and having a local custom shop weld up mounts and make it work.

Benefits: I am thinking they are designed to be easy to change the packing, I would be able to adjust back pressure and sound in much smaller steps than the 3 choices most pipes give you: quiet baffle, loud baffle, and no baffle.

Sam,....I was going to put this: http://www.supertrapp.com/product_secti ... p?CatID=33

on my BR two years ago, but opted to fix-up the Leo Vince, since I had so much damn $$$ in it anyhow.... :pissed: .......I had the IDS2 on one of my Honda 4-wheelers,.....you wanna hear something schaa-weeeeet,.....that was it! 8)

I believe 10 discs come with it, to adjust flow. 8)

Very light weight too.... 8)

2005 BIGUS Ruckus

viewtopic.php?f=95&t=41664

....ya....thats right...."PS-600".....bite me

Shot Caller
Shot Caller

The way it should be
2011 TR Donor
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:17 pm 
The IDS2 is the one I was looking at as it seems to be available with the smallest ID inlet. Still probably too big but the closer I start out, the less weld build up and grinding that will have to be done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next